Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #1,726 of 20,584
  Let's move on from this guys.

I for one love my Utopia and got to demo it first (as such my review) which eventually tipped me to buying. I've further sold off my most (all?) my other dynamic driver headphones (TH-900, HD800S, etc) to consolidate to the Utopia. The one set which the Utopia can't replace would be my Staxes.

I absolutely have debated on replacing both my SR-009/SR-007Mk1 since I picked up my Utopias....they are that good to my ears. That said...my Staxes are still here. 
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #1,728 of 20,584
Picked-up adapters so I could go balanced, I can confirm I certainly prefer the Utopia balanced. I'll order up a dedicated balanced cable.

I'm currently listening to the Vega-Taurus combo and I find it very good. balanced between Vega and Taurus, unbalanced between Taurus and Utopia. 
can you please elaborate why you find the balanced connection better?
tnks!!!

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #1,729 of 20,584

I absolutely have debated on replacing both my SR-009/SR-007Mk1 since I picked up my Utopias....they are that good to my ears. That said...my Staxes are still here. 
tongue.gif

I totally understand your dilemma. I have the Elear and now the Utopia. My head says the Elear has to go now but my heart is struggling to come to terms with that decision. Must stay strong and not be tempted by the "Dark side" of the force!

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #1,730 of 20,584
These still arent impressive sounding to me, they dont have the wow factor like the abyss does for me. I say that and yet these still get the most headtime overall. Theres just something about the tuning of the utopias that just makes me wanna listen to music forever 

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #1,731 of 20,584
I agree. But that what makes the Focal Utopia are so great. It makes me forget about the headphone and just focus on what I'm listening to.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #1,732 of 20,584
I agree. But that what makes the Focal Utopia are so great. It makes me forget about the headphone and just focus on what I'm listening to.
I got that feeling on $20 headphones when I was 13 years old.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,733 of 20,584

My comparisons are actually in my Utopia review in my sig. I have the Eddie Current Electra.

Just read your great review, AnakChan, thanks! Not being as well versed in head-fi world, was very useful and wanted to ask you one more question. Would it be nuts to use either Utopia or 007 mk1 as office system? I share an office with 2 other pretty mellow guys with whom I'm launching a start-up, so they wouldn't mind a bit of sound leakage as long as it's not excessive. I don't listen to music at an obscene volume, and I'm predominantly classical/jazz guy, with some electro and garage rock type of music thrown in there. I was also contemplating Sony Z1R as they are closed, but given that I'm not much of a bass-head (my home system is based on vintage RCA LC1A speakers & Leben CS600 + Garrard 301 & Yggy as sources), was holding off on pulling the trigger. Your input would be appreciated, thanks so much!

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,734 of 20,584
Beginning Monday we will be able to provide new programs for buying Elears and Utopias. We think you'll be very excited about this great news.

You can contact us at the store and we'll tell you all about it. 800-700-7029.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 7, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,735 of 20,584
  These still arent impressive sounding to me, they dont have the wow factor like the abyss does for me. I say that and yet these still get the most headtime overall. Theres just something about the tuning of the utopias that just makes me wanna listen to music forever 

If i may. Personally I have a explanation for this phenomenon but feel free to correct me if you view otherwise. The utopias are definitely not the king in any aspect i.e. speed, soundstage etc. That being said it is definitely not too far off from the top. This is the reason why it can never replace headphones which excel in traits that has top priority to us. However what makes them get so much head time is because it able to combine all these traits so seamlessly with as little flaws as possible. Basically as little sore thumbs sticking out. Hence making it more coherent and well rounded.  

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #1,736 of 20,584

If i may. Personally I have a explanation for this phenomenon but feel free to correct me if you view otherwise. The utopias are definitely not the king in any aspect i.e. speed, soundstage etc. That being said it is definitely not too far off from the top. This is the reason why it can never replace headphones which excel in traits that has top priority to us. However what makes them get so much head time is because it able to combine all these traits so seamlessly with as little flaws as possible. Basically as little sore thumbs sticking out. Hence making it more coherent and well rounded.  

Ii have a similar feeling as well. The Utopia don't punch you in the face (in a good way) like the abyss does. Yet still its getting more head time. And I think the reason is like what the Dalton describe. The abyss is a raw unleashed monster. And nothing I've heard is as powerful. And thus that wow factor kicks in when you experience that jaw dropping bottomless bass with so much visceral impact and slam. But the Utopia does alot of different things really well all at the same time. So where I can point to something about the abyss and say it doesn't do X all that well, but massively excellent at y. The Utopia just does everything so well and cohesive lyrics that overall they are just a joy to listen too all the time.

The Utopia are a must keep, and the abyss is just too awesome to part with. The He1000 on the other hand.....

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,739 of 20,584

> Not impressive.

> Most head time.

What happens when you're IMPRESSED by a headphone? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back