Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 19, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,576 of 20,597
You can also ask cable manufacturers to produce frequency response charts showing differences in the cables, which is never done.

Can't produce what doesn't exist, but that's probably a discussion not worth having (again). Thread derailment is the only likely outcome.

Folks believe what they want to believe.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,577 of 20,597
You don't have to pay outrageous amounts of $$$ for a balanced harness for the Utopia. I got the very basic Blue Dragon setup from Moon Audio - it works without any drama at all and cost me around $200 USD (ish).

Caveat - I am a cable skeptic and never heard and SQ difference in any cable anywhere.
If you're really a skeptic you can divide the OE cable into 2 or 3 cables. I have customers that have made 3 end to end cables out of the OE cable and with connectors and labor spent about $200. They end up with a 4 pin balanced, a 1/4" SE and some are now doing the 4.4m 4 pole to go into the new Sony Walkman DAP. I think if you're a skeptic on cables this is smart money.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 19, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #1,578 of 20,597
If you're really a skeptic you can divide the OE cable into 2 or 3 cables. I have customers that have made 3 end to end cables out of the OE cable and with connectors and labor spent about $200. They end up with a 4 pin balanced, a 1/4" SE and some are now doing the 4.4m 4 pole to go into the new Sony Walkman DAP. I think if you're a skeptic on cables this is smart money.

Way too much effort for my lazy ass/arse. I keep the stock cable in case I ever need a SE option.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,579 of 20,597
Hi there, this is my first post in this thread.

Just upgrade my Focal Utopia with Danacable Lazuli Reference. Here is what I thought about it.

My first impression about Lazuli Reference was that it's punchy. There's more body in the bass. However the mids and highs were a little bit muddy. It lacks the clarity and shimmering highs which is what I like about the stock cable.

I know that it could be improved after breaking in. What I can't be sure is for how long it needs to take before everything settle down. And how much it can be improved.

After 20 or so hours of breaking in I put on my Utopia the second time. The moment I put the HP on I have a big WOW on my face immediately. The bass not only punchy it's also getting tighter and speedier. The mids are sweeter. And the highs come with shining watery quality, a not so easy to reach in terms of audio quality.

Before Lazuli Reference I had tried several headphone cables including Cardas Clear for HD800, Nordost Heimdall 2, ALO Reference 16, Moon Audio Silverdragon and a DIY OCC silver cable. Each cable has its strengths and weaknesses but none can cover from bottom to top.

I must say that the stock cable did a great job already. It sets a high bar for after market head phone cables. But Lazuli Reference over passes it easily. For comparison the stock cable is like a cup of good whiskey. And the Lazuli Reference is like a bottle of 12 years old Cognac. It's more strong but also gets more savory and mellow. That's extraordinary.

My systems include Chord DAVE, Weiss DAC202, EddieCurrent Balancing Act, Violectric V281, Sonore Microrendu with Uptone LPS-1. The sources include a fanless Intel NUC running Daphile, Macmini with LPS. HP collections include Focal Utopia, Hifiman HE-1000, Sennheiser HD800S, HD800 and Pioneer SE Master 1.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,580 of 20,597
Hi there, this is my first post in this thread.

Just upgrade my Focal Utopia with Danacable Lazuli Reference. Here is what I thought about it.

My first impression about Lazuli Reference was that it's punchy. There's more body in the bass. However the mids and highs were a little bit muddy. It lacks the clarity and shimmering highs which is what I like about the stock cable.

I know that it could be improved after breaking in. What I can't be sure is for how long it needs to take before everything settle down. And how much it can be improved.

After 20 or so hours of breaking in I put on my Utopia the second time. The moment I put the HP on I have a big WOW on my face immediately. The bass not only punchy it's also getting tighter and speedier. The mids are sweeter. And the highs come with shining watery quality, a not so easy to reach in terms of audio quality.

Before Lazuli Reference I had tried several headphone cables including Cardas Clear for HD800, Nordost Heimdall 2, ALO Reference 16, Moon Audio Silverdragon and a DIY OCC silver cable. Each cable has its strengths and weaknesses but none can cover from bottom to top.

I must say that the stock cable did a great job already. It sets a high bar for after market head phone cables. But Lazuli Reference over passes it easily. For comparison the stock cable is like a cup of good whiskey. And the Lazuli Reference is like a bottle of 12 years old Cognac. It's more strong but also gets more savory and mellow. That's extraordinary.

My systems include Chord DAVE, Weiss DAC202, EddieCurrent Balancing Act, Violectric V281, Sonore Microrendu with Uptone LPS-1. The sources include a fanless Intel NUC running Daphile, Macmini with LPS. HP collections include Focal Utopia, Hifiman HE-1000, Sennheiser HD800S, HD800 and Pioneer SE Master 1.
I own a Dave as well,which i use with the hd800,so tell me do you think the utopia is worth paying £2000 more for than the hd800?thanks for your opinion in advance☺

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,581 of 20,597
I own a Dave as well,which i use with the hd800,so tell me do you think the utopia is worth paying £2000 more for than the hd800?thanks for your opinion in advance☺

as one who owns the Dave and Utopia and used to own the 800S the answer is a definitive yes if you have the cash available....

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,582 of 20,597

I have a DAVE, Utopia and HD800's.  I don't like the HD800S, and I much prefer the HD800 to the HD800S.  I prefer the HD800 WITH SDR installed to the Utopia.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,584 of 20,597
well on this note, i have to unsubscribe from this thread. This has gone over the top. humbly and with no offence, I'm dragging my hd800S with my prion 4 cable between my legs out the door. 
blink.gif

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #1,585 of 20,597
  well on this note, i have to unsubscribe from this thread. This has gone over the top. humbly and with no offence, I'm dragging my hd800S with my prion 4 cable between my legs out the door. 
blink.gif

Why?  What you like versus what others like doesn't matter: you have to like what you have.  Everybody is different and likes different things.  That doesn't mean you're wrong: to each their own!

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,586 of 20,597
well on this note, i have to unsubscribe from this thread. This has gone over the top. humbly and with no offence, I'm dragging my hd800S with my prion 4 cable between my legs out the door. :blink:
sorry to see you go. Happy holidays

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #1,587 of 20,597
I just received my Utopia. First impression is NOT favorable: thin, metallic and etched highs, soundstage not as defined as it should be. My TH900 and HE-6 are better. Right now I'm in between amps -- using the Audeze Deckard as a placeholder since selling off my Ragnarok. The Deckard matches very well with the TH900. Will give the Utopia some break-in time, I really hope that this was just new transducer kinks.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,588 of 20,597
Which headphones did you to Utopia from?  I went from Elear and it was a shock, I thought the same too, but eventually came to favor Utopia sound.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,590 of 20,597
I'm coming over from the TH900 off the Deckard and HE-6 off the Ragnarok. My DAC is a Gustard X20 (balanced Sabre) being fed via a USB-I2S bridge.

I like the Ragnarok and Utopia, but different source: Ayre Codex, Schiit Gungnir Multibit

Based on my past ownership of the Deckard, I do not think I would enjoy it with Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back