Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 14, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,531 of 20,584
Manufacturers provide cable that is cost effective, timely produced, and can be produced in sufficient volumes. Some are better than others. Just like aftermarket cables.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,532 of 20,584
Manufacturers provide cable that is cost effective, timely produced, and can be produced in sufficient volumes. Some are better than others. Just like aftermarket cables.
Exactly ...that is the proper answer.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,533 of 20,584
On another note other than a cable debate, settling in for a Tool listening session with Phil-

:)

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,534 of 20,584
it's absolutely ridiculous to price a headphone cable in excess of $1000....bloody hell!
When the cost of one of best pair of phone equates or worse still less than the price of a 2M cable...then i will call that sheer profiteering...I speak purely and primarily as an Attorney.

Maybe the cable makers will start offering headphone bundling deals soon? Buy our $10,000 ultimate cable and get a free Utopia to hear the immense awesomeness of finely extruded metal dipped in unicorn tears.

Edit: or buy a spare stock cable for $40...

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,536 of 20,584
I am jamming out to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and the soundstage thus rocks. I am impressed by how well these headphones handle so many genres's. And as the drivers on the Utopia continue to "cure/ season up" the bass becomes better, with more resolving impact.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,537 of 20,584
As a possibly interesting point of contrast/counterpoint: I received the Utopia and Kennerton Odin on the same day, a few weeks ago. My take on the Utopia: more than any other headphone I've heard, it just gets out of the way and lets the music do the talking. And praise to it for that. A great achievement. And yet-- between the two, I find myself reaching for the Kennerton Odin more. You know that thought/feeling: when you've had a long busy day, and you're looking forward to your well-earned (but all too brief) listening session before conking out, and you reach for...? I find myself getting excited about listening through the Odin more than any headphone I've had. While also being beautifully balanced/even and transparent like the Utopia, it has just a touch of warmth/colouration. Both audiophile-grade and euphonic-fun at the same time. Build quality is exemplary too, if a bit more controversial. If anyone wants to know more about the Odin, check out earfonia`s excellent review here on Head-Fi.

But-- good luck getting a pair out of St. Petersburg, Russia to your country. Not easy to come by. Yet very much worth the hassle and expense, IMO.

I know, this is the Utopia thread-- and praise be to it. I just wanted to offer some comparison for those interested. And speaking of Focal-- dammit, I still think the modest Spirit Classic is an excellent headphone, and am still a little peeved at how few people here seem to give it any attention. I am a happy owner of the Utopia-- and yet am not getting rid of my Spirit Classic. I look forward to more people here investigating that headphone and talking about it, and considering what good reasons there might be for that.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming of cable controversy...

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,538 of 20,584
I am jamming out to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and the soundstage thus rocks. I am impressed by how well these headphones handle so many genres's. And as the drivers on the Utopia continue to "cure/ season up" the bass becomes better, with more resolving impact.

you nailed it.  my thoughts exactly.

i'm breaking in both the Utopia and a Moon Neo 430 amp congruously.  they both now are at about 50 hours.  and the sound just gets better and better.  the bass especially!  the Utopia's bass was accurate out of the box, but the slam and sub-bass gets better and better.  closing in on the LCD-4 to be honest.  

and +1 on the Utopia's ability to suit whatever genre it encounters.  classical, hip-hop, acoustic/instrumentals, rock, jazz.  this has to be the most versatile headphone on the planet.  you think?  it just does EVERYTHING, SO WELL.  

atsmile.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,540 of 20,584

you nailed it.  my thoughts exactly.

i'm breaking in both the Utopia and a Moon Neo 430 amp congruously.  they both now are at about 50 hours.  and the sound just gets better and better.  the bass especially!  the Utopia's bass was accurate out of the box, but the slam and sub-bass gets better and better.  closing in on the LCD-4 to be honest.  

and +1 on the Utopia's ability to suit whatever genre it encounters.  classical, hip-hop, acoustic/instrumentals, rock, jazz.  this has to be the most versatile headphone on the planet.  you think?  it just does EVERYTHING, SO WELL.  

atsmile.gif

Nothing i have heard rivals the LCD-4's bass performance but the Utopia is truly a great HP and it continues to grow on me.....

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,541 of 20,584
Just like our individual tolerance for spice/salt/sugar etc...something might be too spicy/salty/sweet for one and might be too mild for another...its great and we are so privileged to be able to afford such luxurious items I've long since recognised that there will be no one headphone/amp/DAC etc that will satisfy all. Enjoy the music :notes:

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #1,542 of 20,584

Indeed. I think after trying and owning every totl(excluding orpheus), the utopia is my 'genre master'.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,545 of 20,584

yeah, the right driver on mine died too. 

Hi inthere.

That doesn't sound too good, for a product at such a price! Which has me wondering whether to continue with thoughts of seeing how they perform with my own Elise - I think you found the match quite good, if I remember correctly? Did you find the amp sufficiently powerful to drive the Utopias well?

Next week I shall be receiving a new version of the Elise, with extensive circuit redesign : upgraded caps, resistors; teflon sockets w/gold-plated pins; pure silver wire for signal line...and which is delivering  much greater dynamics...do you think this would help reach more of the Utopia's potential, or has your unfortunate experience made you less inclined to recommend them?

Perhaps these are still early days for judging the reliability of these particular headphones...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back