Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 28, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,396 of 20,711
After several days of intense thinking, I have decided not to get a custom cable for my Utopia, at least this year. For now I would like to get a few more tubes for my Liquid Glass and just take the time to appreciate and grok all the fine stuff I already have. But I know some time next year, I will get a custom silver XLR cable, for my incredible Utopia.:)

You could always cut the cord shorter and place plug of your choice on it.

Then get a female type connector for the discarded section to make into an extension cable.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #1,398 of 20,711
You could always cut the cord shorter and place plug of your choice on it.

while I think the stock cable sounds pretty good, IME there are significant gains to be had from an aftermarket cable - particularly if seeking a more open, spacious sound.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,403 of 20,711
For GSX mk2 and Utopia users. Recently i tested and after 1 month listening period I found that the low gain setting works best with Utopia on the GSX mk2. It sounds smooth, not harsh like some other SS amps. I set my Rockna DAC preamp to 0dp, in case anyone wanna know

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #1,404 of 20,711
  But yea my current mind is "how could it be better than whatr i'm listening to right now ??" 

I finally grabbed my Utopia a month ago and gave it about 100 hours of listening and I sold it today. Seems I have my answer :) 

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,405 of 20,711
Sorrodje, I presume you will tell us in due course, but it will be interesting to read how the Utopia stacked up against your other headphones.
Looking at your current collection you would appear to have all the bases covered - after all the Utopia is not some paradigm shift, what is 'better' will be up to the individual.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,406 of 20,711
@Sorrodje, I presume you will tell us in due course, but it will be interesting to read how the Utopia stacked up against your other headphones.
Looking at your current collection you would appear to have all the bases covered - after all the Utopia is not some paradigm shift, what is 'better' will be up to the individual.

Yep. I'll try to sum up my feelings and impressions but it seems this headphone is really extremely good and especially technically impressive but it failed to suck me into my music as much as a few other headphones do. That's the main reason amongst a few others. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,407 of 20,711
Sorrodje did you try the Utopia with a different cable? I was taken by surprise as to the difference it could make.
What I love about the Utopia is it's balanced sound, refinement and clarity. Even from a non-uber source like the Grace m930 it provides wonderful sound which is close to my Harbeth speaker setup.
That said, even the HE6 driven by the lowly Zamp provides an interesting (and in fact more relaxed) alternative. Though the Utopia is definitely my first choice.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,408 of 20,711
Just now I was sitting at my Windows desktop checking emails etc, listening to my Q701's playing Eric Roche's 'Perc U Later' (available from Bandcamp as a 48k download and highly recommended to fingerstyle guitar enthusiasts)  - just via Foobar from an Auzen PC card.
The Q701's were doing a great job on this music and I was curious how the Utopia's would sound. Wonderful as it happens.
This is one of the great things about the Utopia - they're so balanced, accomplished and easy to drive they will sound excellent from pretty much any decent source.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,409 of 20,711
Added the Elear -

If you are in the Minneapolis area Stereo Land has Utopia's and Elear in stock and demo's for listen. I also spent some time with the Utopia, the Elear impressed me enough to buy it.

Cheers-

Hydrored

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #1,410 of 20,711
Somehow the utopias have been stealing all my headtime lately, when i switch over to something else i just feel like something is missing . Damn these really grew on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back