Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #14,297 of 20,796
I still try to figure out the perspective of the picture. Are you balancing the box on your foot?
Besides that, good luck. I know the feeling :)
Hahaha I see it now! No arms length and literally just walked in the lounge with it.
My wife said what’s that? I said it focal glass cleaner for the conservatory 😂😂😂
Sadly I should be out there But I’ve ended up here.
Wife 1
Husband 0 70317A33-20BD-4706-9926-4C65C93F7958.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #14,299 of 20,796
I have a suggestion for people with Utopia ear-pads that have become 'oiled-up' so to speak. (I think I was the word 'gammy' or 'gunky' was used.)

Anyway when my trainng shoes become filthy or smelly, I put them in the washing machine with regular bio-detergent. Persil, Ariel, or whatever. .... They come out of the washing machine fine, and with new life. Washing would normally wash natural oils from leather, however my training shoes never appear to suffer.

While I am not suggesting out Utopia ear-pads in the washine machine, cleaning ear-pads could be an option. ... In this case I would suggest non-bio washing powder. It's the gentle stuff that we can wash wool with. I guess it doesn't strip the oils from wool.

I think if Utopia pads were washed in this soap powder, I bet it would work 100%. I think it would even be possible to use even regular hand soap. I know another gentle powder for washing stuff like Gore-Tex, is natural soap flakes. That way it doesn't biologically strip away the treatments of the Gore-Tex.

I think a good dunk and squish and thouroughly washing the ear-pads would clean the oils and gunk away. I think a good soapy water would clean even the memory foam brilliantly. Using soft powders would probably maintian the black colour too. (Although I would be suprised if the black colouring washed out at all - never know though.)

If after washing, anyone thought the suppleness of the leather was missing, there are options. Saddle soap maybe, or leather cream. In fact some folk on the Stellia thread, I think cleaned thery leather with leather cleaner cream.

Either way, if you are replacing Utopis pads and throwing the old pads away, why not try. What is there to lose by trying other than maybe the cost of some soap flakes. (You could try regular hand soap.) If it cleans the pads, then it's worth buying some leather rejuvinator or cream if it's needed.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #14,300 of 20,796
I had the glue issue with Abyss pads. I can not say for sure if the Utopia problem is the same, but I strongly assume so. Some glues deteriorate over time, and basically dissolve to a mess. The only way to save the pads (at least for the Abyss it was) is to carefully disassemble them, clean out every part with isopropyl alcohol, and rebuild them better. I used a lot of staples to avoid glue. The pads now look like new and will never fall apart again. Washing the pads might take the glue out, but it also had a function, so I'd advise to be careful.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #14,303 of 20,796
I had the glue issue with Abyss pads. I can not say for sure if the Utopia problem is the same, but I strongly assume so. Some glues deteriorate over time, and basically dissolve to a mess. The only way to save the pads (at least for the Abyss it was) is to carefully disassemble them, clean out every part with isopropyl alcohol, and rebuild them better. I used a lot of staples to avoid glue. The pads now look like new and will never fall apart again. Washing the pads might take the glue out, but it also had a function, so I'd advise to be careful.

Yeah.

I think I would look at leather glue, or Superglue gel. However this is speaking from the perspective of not being in the situation and having 'eyes' on.

(Regular superglue soaks straight in to leather and makes leather go rock solid. I am not sure Superglue gel would be right though, as I have not tried it. I would try whatever glue that wa not leather glue, on a test pice of leather first.)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #14,305 of 20,796
The right sided driver on my Utopia stopped working. Has this happened to anyone else and how do I get it repaired?
Here is the post by Marine who is the Official Focal Community Manager explaining the 5yr warranty.
It's unfortunate and I hope you'll be able to resolve the issue under warranty by contacting you AD.
Best of luck.

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #14,309 of 20,796
What´s the difference between the new and old model of Utopia?
I am considering buying version one second hand.
Cheers CC
if you are not already on to it, as per post #1, focal offer a 5 year transferable warranty as long as you have the original receipt and purchased from official dealer

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #14,310 of 20,796
if you are not already on to it, as per post #1, focal offer a 5 year transferable warranty as long as you have the original receipt and purchased from official dealer
Seems like it’s impossible to contact
Focal directly for an RMA number and return mailing address. How do I return my sefective pair luckily still less than 4 years old ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back