Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 8, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #13,666 of 20,602
Am I the only one who thinks .... that asking a manufacturer/producer for the best upgrade option, they will naturally recommend the product with the highest profit margin?

Yup. He could have easily said you need both a TT2 and a Mscaler. Not- I recommend the cheaper of the two.

Not to mention that he seemed to imply that I won't need to buy a tt2 as I already have the H2. From dealing with Rob, I have come to value his input as he genuinely suggests what he believes is the right option.

He doesn't work for Chord full time but is a consultant ie only works on certain new concepts/product designs.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #13,667 of 20,602
Yup. He could have easily said you need both a TT2 and a Mscaler. Not- I recommend the cheaper of the two.

Not to mention that he seemed to imply that I won't need to buy a tt2 as I already have the H2. From dealing with Rob, I have come to value his input as he genuinely suggests what he believes is the right option.

He doesn't work for Chord full time but is a consultant ie only works on certain new concepts/product designs.

Rob is straight up! He often gives good advice. I would agree if I’m understanding you correctly

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #13,668 of 20,602
Am I the only one who thinks .... that asking a manufacturer/producer for the best upgrade option, they will naturally recommend the product with the highest profit margin?

I think most of the time they will try to answer objectinvely. Some people are good at that, some not. I am good at talking to someone and through the conversation assessing whether to trust them or not. I have frequently been advised to buy less than the most expensive (almost always the highest profit margin) Buy the seller. Then sometimes, not often you get someone like a used car salesman. Typically manufacturers are aware of word of mouth and social media potential of a customer in audio... best have happy customers.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #13,669 of 20,602
My Utopia’s right driver got busted back in September 2019. Got them around March of 2018 from head fi. Had them repaired at the local distro here in the Philippines in Feb 2020. Didnt follow up due to Covid lockdown and recently got them back after paying 20k pesos (roughly 400USD) for driver shipping and labor for the repairs. I noticed that the red magnets that my drivers used to have are now gone, but both of them work now! Any update on these “red-less” drivers? Noticed the lack of red magnets when I was listening to them alongside my 4z’s. They still carry the same forward and revealing Utopia sound that I remember though.
someone had reported earlier in the thread that their utopia's magnets were not red in colour but grey. marine @FocalOfficial posted that they should be red.

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #13,670 of 20,602
I’ve only heard of a couple of folks who’ve sold or traded a Danacable for something else. One gentleman sold his Lazuli Reference for a WireWorld cable.

You're probably responding to some of my previous posts. I've had the Lazuli Reference and the Lazuli Ultra, sold them both, and the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse is my fave.

I've been listening to the Norne Silvergarde S4 for the last couple months

So was I 'til I paired my Utopia with the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse. Simply amazing!
Joe was the one who turned me on the WireWorld, so, once again, thanks Joe! :beerchug:

I read some review where they compare the Reference to the Ultra. It seemed like technically the Ultra was better with more clarity but they thought it was a touch less musical. Didn’t have as sweet of a tone. Think also said bigger soundstage and dynamics but to me, the Reference is all about the tone. They also said the Ultra is even thicker cable.

FWIW, the Ultra has very similar physical properties to the Reference when held in the hand (thickness, stiffness, weight, etc).

You guys are making it hard for me to go the cheaper route with Moon Black Dragon instead of the Lazuli Reference :gs1000smile:

I wouldn't put too much stock in price as an indicator or predictor of quality. IMO, system synergy and personal preference play the biggest role by a good margin.

Now that I'm reflecting on the various cables I've listened to the Utopia with at length, I'd say the most important starting point before considering any other qualities is whether you like the resulting tonality of a given cable. If the tonal balance isn't to a person's liking, none of the other qualities will matter, long-term. For me personally, I've found it very hard to predict if I'll like the tonality of a given cable without trying it out concretely, and at length. Here are some quick subjective opinions:

The Lazuli Reference does pair well with the Utopia, tonality-wise, and is a pretty safe choice. I also really liked the WyWires Red with the Utopia for the same reason.

I found the WyWires Platinum to be a little too bright and intense, but very fast-sounding. But that was with a version of my system a few iterations past, which itself was too bright.

I found the Lazuli Ultra to sound raised in the upper-midrange, which I found a little odd-sounding. It has other qualities which were very lovely, but that tonality was a dealbreaker for me.

The Norne Silvergarde S4 is the last cable I listened to at length. It has an emphasis in the midrange-to-upper-mids which is exciting but long-term isn't my preference. Lots of detail and nice sense of decay, though. I'm still debating whether I want to keep it around for added variation, or not.

But yea, the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse is my favorite over all the above. The resulting midrange is very even and makes everything sound more realistic to my ears. Treble is not hot. Bass is fastest and deepest I've heard. It is, however, discontinued.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #13,671 of 20,602
But yea, the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse is my favorite over all the above. The resulting midrange is very even and makes everything sound more realistic to my ears. Treble is not hot. Bass is fastest and deepest I've heard. It is, however, discontinued.

Thats why i keep my WW Platinum till it's last day.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #13,672 of 20,602
someone had reported earlier in the thread that their utopia's magnets were not red in colour but grey. marine @FocalOfficial posted that they should be red.

that was me reporting the black driver utopia

Now make me wondering, how much chance that actually black driver is the result of they assembly the driver backward? Thus, it still perfectly sounds fine.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #13,673 of 20,602
You're probably responding to some of my previous posts. I've had the Lazuli Reference and the Lazuli Ultra, sold them both, and the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse is my fave.

I've been listening to the Norne Silvergarde S4 for the last couple months

Joe was the one who turned me on the WireWorld, so, once again, thanks Joe! :beerchug:

FWIW, the Ultra has very similar physical properties to the Reference when held in the hand (thickness, stiffness, weight, etc).

I wouldn't put too much stock in price as an indicator or predictor of quality. IMO, system synergy and personal preference play the biggest role by a good margin.

Now that I'm reflecting on the various cables I've listened to the Utopia with at length, I'd say the most important starting point before considering any other qualities is whether you like the resulting tonality of a given cable. If the tonal balance isn't to a person's liking, none of the other qualities will matter, long-term. For me personally, I've found it very hard to predict if I'll like the tonality of a given cable without trying it out concretely, and at length. Here are some quick subjective opinions:

The Lazuli Reference does pair well with the Utopia, tonality-wise, and is a pretty safe choice. I also really liked the WyWires Red with the Utopia for the same reason.

I found the WyWires Platinum to be a little too bright and intense, but very fast-sounding. But that was with a version of my system a few iterations past, which itself was too bright.

I found the Lazuli Ultra to sound raised in the upper-midrange, which I found a little odd-sounding. It has other qualities which were very lovely, but that tonality was a dealbreaker for me.

The Norne Silvergarde S4 is the last cable I listened to at length. It has an emphasis in the midrange-to-upper-mids which is exciting but long-term isn't my preference. Lots of detail and nice sense of decay, though. I'm still debating whether I want to keep it around for added variation, or not.

The Wire World Nano cables are great for the money. I’d have to agree with you

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 8, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #13,674 of 20,602

Now make me wondering, how much chance that actually black driver is the result of they assembly the driver backward? Thus, it still perfectly sounds fine.
i would think that's unlikely but strange things happen at sea

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #13,675 of 20,602

What happened in the end? Did u get a replacement or still using it as it is?

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #13,677 of 20,602
@llamaluv could you give a brief comparison of the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse your current "fave" and the Norne Silvergarde S4? Thanks.

Mmm, I don't have much more to add to what I described above.

If I try too hard to define differences I hear in gear, I can sometimes assign more meaning to things than I will realize to be true when looking back on it later (can't lie). So I'm trying to avoid doing that as much nowadays. (Also, if I try "too hard" to do A/B comparisons in a back-to-back manner, something similar can end up happening as well.)

But one other observation about the Silvergarde which I didn't want to get into above -- and unfortunately sounds kind of negative -- is that I was a little disappointed with its bass response. I felt like it ought to be a little more prevalent and more extended. Though the Wireworld cable probably largely shapes what I consider subjectively "normal". This difference sounds less pronounced on the Utopia compared to the Susvara (which I use both cables with, using affinitycable adapters).

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #13,678 of 20,602
Mmm, I don't have much more to add to what I described above.

If I try too hard to define differences I hear in gear, I can sometimes assign more meaning to things than I will realize to be true when looking back on it later (can't lie). So I'm trying to avoid doing that as much nowadays. (Also, if I try "too hard" to do A/B comparisons in a back-to-back manner, something similar can end up happening as well.)

But one other observation about the Silvergarde which I didn't want to get into above -- and unfortunately sounds kind of negative -- is that I was a little disappointed with its bass response. I felt like it ought to be a little more prevalent and more extended. Though the Wireworld cable probably largely shapes what I consider subjectively "normal". This difference sounds less pronounced on the Utopia compared to the Susvara (which I use both cables with, using affinitycable adapters).

I went from using affinitycable adaptors to short adaptors using the same cable as main hp cable (signum+ with Oyaide Rhodium 3.5mm plugs and lemo connectors) There was definitely an audible difference in sound, so much so I no longer use affinitycable adaptors anymore..

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #13,679 of 20,602
I went from using affinitycable adaptors to short adaptors using the same cable as main hp cable (signum+ with Oyaide Rhodium 3.5mm plugs and lemo connectors) There was definitely an audible difference in sound, so much so I no longer use affinitycable adaptors anymore..
I've never noticed a decrease in quality while using the affinitycable adapters, but I've never been able to compare them with an identical cable that didn't need the adapters in the first place. So that's interesting. What are the short adapters you're referring to?

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #13,680 of 20,602
I've never noticed a decrease in quality while using the affinitycable adapters, but I've never been able to compare them with an identical cable that didn't need the adapters in the first place. So that's interesting. What are the short adapters you're referring to?

I just asked Roy at Arctic Cable to make me a set of short adaptors. He uses quality plugs and solder and the build quality is great. It was easy enough to swap them out for quick a/b testing. It felt (and sounded) like I had been doing the headphones an injustice by not using the proper adaptors in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back