Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 23, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #12,391 of 20,644
Until it will fail outside of that warranty and you end up paying for it yourself. Common driver failure on a TOTL headphone that costs €4000,- is simply unacceptable. Given that it happens so commonly indicates that it's likely a design flaw.

In other words, you are buying a product with which the question is not whether it will fail or not, but when it will fail.

Audeze had a similar problem with their LCD-4 headphones, but at least they have managed to fix it. With Utopia it still hasn't been apparently, even years after discovering the issue.

For me that means that I won't buy an Utopia headphone until this has been dealt with. No matter how good it may sound.

5 years of warranty isn't enough for a TOTL product, which you'd expect to last like 20 years. Especially for a product with such unsolved issues.

And this is coming from someone who owns an LCD-4 and had it's drivers fail before.

I feel like if it doesn't happen within the 5 year warranty you're probably safe. But opinions vary.

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #12,392 of 20,644
I feel like if it doesn't happen within the 5 year warranty you're probably safe. But opinions vary.

Well, you can never be sure of that. Not failing within the 5 years of warranty obviously doesn't mean that it won't/can't happen.

I, unlike others apparently am not willing to take that chance. If Focal doesn't take their products and it's users seriously, I won't take their products serious either.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #12,393 of 20,644
Have had my utopia for about 2 months , bought brand new . This week the left driver died . I’ve contacted my dealer and it’s being sent back to focal .
sucks that driver failure is still going on with utopia even with their latest batches. .
I appreciate that you posted this. I was re-considering purchasing the Utopia but it seems they still have failures several years after their release.
That's what the 5 year warranty is for.
Until it will fail outside of that warranty and you end up paying for it yourself. Common driver failure on a TOTL headphone that costs €4000,- is simply unacceptable. Given that it happens so commonly indicates that it's likely a design flaw.

In other words, you are buying a product with which the question is not whether it will fail or not, but when it will fail.

Audeze had a similar problem with their LCD-4 headphones, but at least they have managed to fix it. With Utopia it still hasn't been apparently, even years after discovering the issue.

For me that means that I won't buy an Utopia headphone until this has been dealt with. No matter how good it may sound.

5 years of warranty isn't enough for a TOTL product, which you'd expect to last like 20 years. Especially for a product with such unsolved issues.

And this is coming from someone who owns an LCD-4 and had it's drivers fail before.
I wanted to have all of these comments in one place for reference.

I was also very reluctant initially to purchase the Utopia. Some may remember the ongoing poll showing failure rates that used to appear at the top of the page; I ended up purchasing from a Focal reseller (got a great price) and purchased new in the event there was an issue. Trust me, I WAS nervous! Fortunately I have had no issues so far and assume mine were produced well after the initial “problem” batches. Focal wisely gave a five year warranty to all Utopias, even those purchased used. They also realized that there were “new” headphones in dealer inventory that might predate the newer version so extending the warranty would also protect purchasers of new old stock. I also assume the drivers are the same as those used inthe Stellia which, to my knowledge, have not experienced a high failure level so perhaps that also indicates the issues have been resolved.

it is definitely a PITA when expensive equipment fails for some reason, but unfortunately it does happen. Perhaps the pair that failed is new old stock. In either event, they will take care of it but I most certainly understand the angst it creates and loss of confidence in the product. Now, I’m sure I will squeal like the proverbial stuck pig if mine go south at some point but I’m also sure any problem I might experience WILL be fixed and it (probably) won’t deter me from purchasing a Focal headphone in the future. If this does re-emerge as an ongoing problem I’m sure the class action suit that will likely be filed will eventually “fix” the problem with a reimbursement or settlement of some kind.

Let us all hope it never comes to that...

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #12,394 of 20,644
Trust me, I WAS nervous! Fortunately I have had no issues so far and assume mine were produced well after the initial “problem” batches.

I bought mine brand new in June with the 2020 packaging and a high serial number, and my driver failed within 2 weeks. So I do not think it is a batch problem. ... but the replacement works great so far. But of course it was PITA. Fingers crossed for the future.

Besides that, I just love the Utopia. Funnily enough, I find that my Final A8000 IEM has a very similar signature, with a bit of a wider soundstage. I am very impressed with it but of course that does not mean I'll give up my Utopia :).

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #12,395 of 20,644
Well, you can never be sure of that. Not failing within the 5 years of warranty obviously doesn't mean that it won't/can't happen.

I, unlike others apparently am not willing to take that chance. If Focal doesn't take their products and it's users seriously, I won't take their products serious either.

Honestly, if they die outside of the 5 years I'll still feel like I got my money worth and that they fulfilled their life cycle.

Plus I have a hard time not upgrading for that long anyway.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #12,396 of 20,644
Honestly, if they die outside of the 5 years I'll still feel like I got my money worth and that they fulfilled their life cycle.

If you honestly feel like that, I'm assuming you have money like water. As I said before I expect TOTL headphones to last much, much longer then just 5 years. More like 15 - 20 years for that price.

Yes, I do feel that is reasonable to expect from such expensive headphones. If they can't last that long with such a pricetag, they shouldn't exist in the first place in my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #12,397 of 20,644
If you honestly feel like that, I'm assuming you have money like water. As I said before I expect TOTL headphone to last much, much longer then just 5 years. More like 15 - 20 years for that price.

Yes, I do feel that is reasonable to expect from such expensive headphones. If they can't last that long with such a pricetag, they shouldn't exist in the first place in my opinion.

Naw, just different expectations I suppose, which is fine.

It takes all kinds.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #12,398 of 20,644
You and me both, brother:beerchug:. Just ask my wife...
7D4A6AE4-9140-4EA6-BBCD-AD8BFF0B42C5.jpeg

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #12,400 of 20,644
a driver in my utopia failed in 2017 and while that was extremely disappointing, both drivers were replaced and i have not had any problems since.

the fact that focal extended the warranty to five years is both commendable and reassuring imo. i have no regrets about my utopia purchase.

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #12,401 of 20,644
I also had the Utopia and Stellia and purchased the Arche/Clear package, intending to sell the Clear at some point. Now that I’ve listened to them apparently I’m keeping them. The Arche is (so far) the best stand alone solution I’ve heard for my Focal headphones. I currently use the Arche both as a DAC in tandem with an SPL Phonitor 2 (a phenomenal combination) and as a stand alone. The Phonitor 2 crossfeed matrix function creates a speaker-like sound with headphones; very interesting if you ever get the chance to try one. The Arche is a great deal at the reduced price. Here’s a pic of my summer set up(the lone air conditioned room in my house) next to a nice comfortable couch where I can listen in “relaxed” mode! I may just end up leaving it right where it is when fall/winter arrives!

you have a superb devices and I envy you but please the focal arche is a very expensive amp. I hope at least you clear the dust once in a while. Most of us are dreaming to have that setup. So, pls. take good care of those.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #12,402 of 20,644
I lately spent a lot of time comparing the Abyss ab-1266 tc and the Utopia. Whereas people seem to rate the abyss higher in technical abilities, I disagree. The ab-1266 has the more fun signature, a visceral bass and a certain aggressive tuning making metal and guitar music very alive, I find the Utopia in the mids superior and its spatial placing much more precise. For super demanding classical music such as a double harpsichord concert the Utopia is just right at home, there is no match.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #12,403 of 20,644
I lately spent a lot of time comparing the Abyss ab-1266 tc and the Utopia. Whereas people seem to rate the abyss higher in technical abilities, I disagree. The ab-1266 has the more fun signature, a visceral bass and a certain aggressive tuning making metal and guitar music very alive, I find the Utopia in the mids superior and its spatial placing much more precise. For super demanding classical music such as a double harpsichord concert the Utopia is just right at home, there is no match.
Thanks for saving me from another purchase! But, seriously, I enjoy all of my headphones and do switch around depending on what I’m listening to. Currently, the Utopia gets the majority of listening time for exactly the reasons you stated:beerchug:

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #12,405 of 20,644
The Abyss may be great-sounding headphones, but they look positively ugly and cheap. At their price point, that’s not something I could overlook. The Utopia look and feel premium.
The Abyss design doesn’t do it for me either but then again I wouldn’t be looking at them while I’m using them. Great sound and comfort are most important to me when using headphones. A great design is an obvious bonus but it (probably) wouldn‘t deter me from a purchase if they met my sound and comfort criteria. My wife agrees with you however, so guess I won’t be getting them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back