Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #11,941 of 20,559
I owned both simultaneously. I ended up selling the Empy. I liked them, but found them to be 'too far from neutral' for my tastes. I especially didn't care for the way the mid-bass/lower mids sounded -- a bit elevated, or even bloated on some tracks. In addition, I found the headstage to be wonderfully enveloping, but also imprecise. So vocals and instruments were not well-defined spatially. Utopia headstage can seem a bit constricted, but it is very precise (That instrument, RIGHT THERE!)

Oh man, I guess I'll find out when my Empy comes in. I hope to keep both and enjoy them depending on mood. We'll see how it goes.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #11,942 of 20,559
Oh man, I guess I'll find out when my Empy comes in. I hope to keep both and enjoy them depending on mood. We'll see how it goes.
Mood is everything. I constantly switch Utopia / HD800s and enjoy both.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #11,943 of 20,559

They are both very different headphones and complimentary to each other. The Utopia dig as deep into a recording as any headphone around and offer a very balanced/neutral presentation while the Empy's offer thunderous ortho bass with a nice sound stage and more "fun" approach.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #11,944 of 20,559
They are both very different headphones and complimentary to each other. The Utopia dig as deep into a recording as any headphone around and offer a very balanced/neutral presentation while the Empy's offer thunderous ortho bass with a nice sound stage and more "fun" approach.
Seems exactly what I'm looking for with modern music. Appreciate all the info, even though just makes the waiting more difficult. 😪

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #11,945 of 20,559
Female vocals on my Utopia/Auris Nirvana are stunning. I just listened to this new release from Norah Jones twice this morning, back to back. It’s well recorded and the HiRez stream on Qobuz sounds really good on the Utopia/Nirvana combo. I’ll put the LP version of this on my Father’s Day wish list. 🙂

1592059260213.jpeg

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #11,946 of 20,559
Female vocals on my Utopia/Auris Nirvana are stunning. I just listened to this new release from Norah Jones twice this morning, back to back. It’s well recorded and the HiRez stream on Qobuz sounds really good on the Utopia/Nirvana combo. I’ll put the LP version of this on my Father’s Day wish list. 🙂

1592059260213.jpeg
Agree, Norah really shines from Utopia. But try the title track from Joni Mitchell’s ‘Blue’. To my ears she can sound a bit shrill from Utopia on that (and other) tracks when she hits her highest notes.

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #11,947 of 20,559
Agree, Norah really shines from Utopia. But try the title track from Joni Mitchell’s ‘Blue’. To my ears she can sound a bit shrill from Utopia on that (and other) tracks when she hits her highest notes.
What is your source, Tidal, Qobuz, CD rip? ”Blue” is my favorite Joni Mitchell album and I have 4 sources for it. I have a 24/192 FLAC file on my Aurender hard drive, a Qobuz stream at 24/96, and 2 LPs, one is a reissue and the other is an original. I just played 3 of those 4 and I don’t hear any shrillness from her highest notes whatsoever in “Blue” or any other track on that album. The 2 hirez digital sources sound very good on their own (no shrillness in her voice) but in direct comparison to my reissue LP, the vinyl easily wins out. The vinyl sound reproduction has more body, larger soundstage, and a better sense of Joni being in the room performing right in front of me. For this comparison, I used my Utopia with Wywires Platinum cable to my Auris Nirvana.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #11,948 of 20,559
I’m very surprised how easy it is to drive the Utopia. I’ve paired with 3 different DAPs this morning and they all seem to drive the Utopia just fine with very little difference in how it sounds.

I like it the most out of the Cayin N6ii, then Sony zx507 and ibasso DX160. All driven out of 3.5mm output, high gain.

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #11,949 of 20,559
I’m very surprised how easy it is to drive the Utopia. I’ve paired with 3 different DAPs this morning and they all seem to drive the Utopia just fine with very little difference in how it sounds.

I like it the most out of the Cayin N6ii, then Sony zx507 and ibasso DX160. All driven out of 3.5mm output, high gain.

How does the DAP sound compare to the amp sound from your WA-22

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #11,950 of 20,559
How does the DAP sound compare to the amp sound from your WA-22
WA22 + Utopia pairing is something else compared to a DAP. Adds a bit of warmth. My initial impressions are “wow”. Need to give it a bit more time.

Currently, the Verite closed + WA22 pairing is my favorite.

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #11,951 of 20,559
WA22 + Utopia pairing is something else compared to a DAP. Adds a bit of warmth. My initial impressions are “wow”. Need to give it a bit more time.

Currently, the Verite closed + WA22 pairing is my favorite.

If you were to chose between Utopia and VC, which one would you take? Thanks for your answer on this :)

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #11,952 of 20,559
If you were to chose between Utopia and VC, which one would you take? Thanks for your answer on this :)
I’d take the VC :)
And that’s because I haven’t heard any other closed HP like it.

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #11,953 of 20,559
What is your source, Tidal, Qobuz, CD rip? ”Blue” is my favorite Joni Mitchell album and I have 4 sources for it. I have a 24/192 FLAC file on my Aurender hard drive, a Qobuz stream at 24/96, and 2 LPs, one is a reissue and the other is an original. I just played 3 of those 4 and I don’t hear any shrillness from her highest notes whatsoever in “Blue” or any other track on that album. The 2 hirez digital sources sound very good on their own (no shrillness in her voice) but in direct comparison to my reissue LP, the vinyl easily wins out. The vinyl sound reproduction has more body, larger soundstage, and a better sense of Joni being in the room performing right in front of me. For this comparison, I used my Utopia with Wywires Platinum cable to my Auris Nirvana.
I have 2 versions. Both are local 24/96 FLAC. Not sure what the original source for either is, but one claims to be a vinyl rip.

I guess it’s my ears/your ears but to me, the first line of that song comes out a bit shrill. I suppose my A2 Gumby might be contributing to that.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #11,954 of 20,559

1592059260213.jpeg
Great find, thanks for posting this album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back