Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #9,992 of 20,602
The utopia and its siblings are not massive as you think. They are rather compact among flagship headphones. She does not look awkward.

Well, she looks gorgeous with a diaper on her head. Doesn't count lol

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #9,993 of 20,602
If somebody wears that in public I don't think the loud colour scheme will draw the most attention. People will be thinking who wears a massive set of headphones like that as a portable? I wouldn't, but I am happy the world includes colourful people willing to let it all hang out and bask in the attention.
Even though it's closed-back, I don't think it is meant to be taken out on the streets, in the bus, on your bicycle etc. It's a desktop system, that could be used in a work environment (unlike the open-back clears or utopia). Based on my own utopias, the head band is very comfortable but does not really grip well enough for outdoor use. I would hate to drop it on a pavement. Beryllium is not too flexible.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #9,995 of 20,602
QvWBhCUh.jpg

I just can't seem to stop making memes about the Stellia :)

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #9,998 of 20,602
The Stellia doesn’t look all that bad. But next to the Utopia’s the color scheme would look a lot better in black and grey. I love the details on the Stellia earcups. The pattern is great eye candy. Also, it would’ve been nice if Focal would have kept the lemo connectors as well. A lot of current Utopia owners with aftermarket cables would love to have one cable for both headphones. If we decide to got the Stellia route adding another aftermarket could be a deterrent to some. If nothing else it gives us something else to think about.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #10,000 of 20,602
I actually find the color to rich & luxurious looking.

+1

I could use nice black shoes and nice brown leather shoes. Looking at Jude's interview video, it's a nice color. I also like that they moved away from Limo connector. Thumbs up to Focal!

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #10,002 of 20,602
I admit to being hooked on the hype about beryllium. Real or imagined i feel like the vibrations of cellos and violins come through more accurately on the utopias, and i truthfully or falsely believe that that ability comes from the beryllium drivers. That matters more to me than soundstage or frequency response.

I gave the elegia a listen and wanted to be satisfied with the sound and didn’t get that sense of minute vibrations. Gave the hd820 a long listen too and wanted to love those as well as i’m a fan of the original hd800 and use mine regularly, as well as the sonorus, lcd-xc, aeon closed, and a couple of others. Ended up buying nothing because i was dissatisfied with all of them. No closed back seemed to give me that infinnitessimal bit of “vibration” i was chasing that only the Utopia and sr009 have given me. I own the cascade and a few other cheaper closed and none of them do it for me either.

I’m hopeful the Stellia gives me what i want as a closed headphone.

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #10,003 of 20,602
The utopia and its siblings are not massive as you think. They are rather compact among flagship headphones. She does not look awkward.

True. I hardly see the headphone. I ll be very happy to leave the stellia to all of you. i ll just try to get her phone number. Of course without speaking of hi fi. Don t want let her run away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back