Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #9,976 of 20,554
So the Stellia driver and the Utopia driver aren't exactly the same. Just the dome is the same. And the Stellia uses a pure copper voicecoil. Stellia_10_1024x1024_2000x.png Stellia driver^

focal_utopia_3.jpg
Utopia driver ^

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #9,980 of 20,554
If stellia cost 3k and have much better accesories then why Utopia still cost 4k euro everywhere on Europe? Makes no sense...

I belive a street price for the utopia is far below its msrp at this point, and a street price for the stellia would be higher than the utopia for a while.

Also, a used price for the utopia was dropping like rock recently. It was on the verge of cracking 2k. The Stellia might provide a lower bound as it is closed back, but we will see.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #9,981 of 20,554
If stellia cost 3k and have much better accesories then why Utopia still cost 4k euro everywhere on Europe? Makes no sense...

Guess the Stellia will be around 3500 euros in Europe.

This is the MSRP and don't forget there is a 20% VAT in Europe. Used, the Utopia can easily be found at 2000-2300 euros.

Stellia has better accessories, but those improvments costs less than 50 euros to Focal and not that hudge : the conductor used for their cable is still cheap chinese.

The color is called Cognac. Believe me, Cognac's color is much more appealing.

And changing the connexions ? Why ? The LENO were really good ones.

But Focal wrote a great review and sent it to many people.

As an example, the first review in France, by people who have not listened to the Stellia :
"Focal Stellia s'annonce aux États-Unis comme le meilleur casque audio nomade (ou clos) de la création"

"Focal Stellia announces itself in the United States as the best nomad (or closed) audio headset of creation"

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #9,983 of 20,554
Nice, so a closed version of the Utopia in ugly colors basically.
And is that a DAC/AMP with a built in headphone stand?
I'm ashamed to say I actually like the colour of the headphones. But I won't be buying one, as I have the Utopia. I have no interest in a closed back "Utopia".

Really interested in the amp/DAC though. I really want to know how it sounds and costs compared to other options. I want to get a better amp/dac, and if the focal amp can perform well, then there is some attraction to me in having a complete foacl system. Colours match quite well with the Utopia as well. Will wait and see how the reviews go.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #9,984 of 20,554
I'm ashamed to say I actually like the colour of the headphones. But I won't be buying one, as I have the Utopia. I have no interest in a closed back "Utopia".

Really interested in the amp/DAC though. I really want to know how it sounds and costs compared to other options. I want to get a better amp/dac, and if the focal amp can perform well, then there is some attraction to me in having a complete foacl system. Colours match quite well with the Utopia as well. Will wait and see how the reviews go.

Don’t be ashamed. Obviously some group of people somewhere probably France thought it was a cool color combination.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #9,986 of 20,554
Don’t be ashamed. Obviously some group of people somewhere probably France thought it was a cool color combination.
The color is nice, but, the only issue is that it is loud. Everyone will be looking at you wearing these travelling. I guess it's perfect for me, I'm always stared at regardless lol.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #9,987 of 20,554
The color is nice, but, the only issue is that it is loud. Everyone will be looking at you wearing these travelling. I guess it's perfect for me, I'm always stared at regardless lol.

You got it, but that is the point of this color/design scheme, I think. If you drive lamborghini, everyone will be looking at you.
I would say that lamborghini is not necessarily beautiful, but it is such an accentuation that attracts everyone's eyes.

Not sure how many people would recognize focal though.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #9,988 of 20,554
I am surprised no one commented on the Head-Fi released video on the Stellia? Outside of the berlinium dome material, it really did not seem to be that similar to the Utopia. It is based on last year's closed back Elgea with higher end materials and design related to the materials change. Head-Fi never compared it to the Utopia in the video that I recall though the Clear seemed to have some preference over the Utopia.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #9,989 of 20,554
If somebody wears that in public I don't think the loud colour scheme will draw the most attention. People will be thinking who wears a massive set of headphones like that as a portable? I wouldn't, but I am happy the world includes colourful people willing to let it all hang out and bask in the attention.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #9,990 of 20,554
If somebody wears that in public I don't think the loud colour scheme will draw the most attention. People will be thinking who wears a massive set of headphones like that as a portable? I wouldn't, but I am happy the world includes colourful people willing to let it all hang out and bask in the attention.

The utopia and its siblings are not massive as you think. They are rather compact among flagship headphones. She does not look awkward.

upload_2019-2-12_23-11-36.png
upload_2019-2-12_23-11-36.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back