Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 29, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #9,331 of 20,602
Wow man if you own the Utopia and Susvara I believe you will literally have no reason to ever buy another headphone as the Utopia will fill the detailed as all hell perfect sound need and the Susvara from what I understand will fulfill the buttery smooth every so beautiful and lush presentation of sound need. My god I am jealous just thinking about that haha. What kind of DAC and AMP are you running? I currently have the Gungnir multibit hooked to an Ican Pro and am wondering if there is a better DAC option for me. Thinking about the Yggy but I love MQA in its partially unfolded format and have thought about Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as well for the MQA reason. But ultimately best sound overall wins out just not sure where that is in the 2K to 2.5K region yet.
he miss a close basshead headphone!!
a th900 or sony z1r!!
he miss a stax 009 setup..
never ending game!!

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #9,332 of 20,602
Wow man if you own the Utopia and Susvara I believe you will literally have no reason to ever buy another headphone as the Utopia will fill the detailed as all hell perfect sound need and the Susvara from what I understand will fulfill the buttery smooth every so beautiful and lush presentation of sound need. My god I am jealous just thinking about that haha. What kind of DAC and AMP are you running? I currently have the Gungnir multibit hooked to an Ican Pro and am wondering if there is a better DAC option for me. Thinking about the Yggy but I love MQA in its partially unfolded format and have thought about Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as well for the MQA reason. But ultimately best sound overall wins out just not sure where that is in the 2K to 2.5K region yet.

OMG don't buy a Brooklyn DAC+ I lived with one for a year and replaced it with a Yggy. Tidal can do the first MQA unfold to 96 in the desktop app and so can Audirvana.

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #9,334 of 20,602

I am not really a amp/dac guy (yet). My 3 setups are beyer a2 -> beyer t1, RME adi 2 pro -> empyrian and Bryston bha 1 -> utopia. I will try out chord tt2 and Dave next week and might replace the bryston with one of them

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #9,338 of 20,602
I heard Manhattan is much better but the price is insane.

Neither is what I'd consider good value for the price but they are nice DACs. In the Brooklyn's price range IMO the Yggrasil is a substantively better DAC, and the adi2pro is as good and has an enormous feature set.

In the Manhattan's price range you can probably get a used Merging NADAC which is a legit endgame contender. That or a used Klimax renew DSM.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #9,339 of 20,602
Thanks for all the replies guys I guess that settles the debate over the Mytek.

You are all right I forgot about Bass head cans and Electrostats. With regard to Electros I was more or less thinking about all the reviews that said the Utopias were close enough if not better then the 009s and then taking energizer into consideration and the price to value ratio just seems to make them unjustifiable unless I got money to blow.

Have any of you compared both the Yggdrasil and Gungnir multibit and if so were you able to notice a verifiable difference between the two that you would say is worth me selling my gungnir to replace with the Yggy?

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #9,340 of 20,602
yes they sound very nice
my problem with the stax is the amp, dedicated only to them, very expansive and mostly with very expansive valves, ..more than the headphone itself

But why are those amplifier so expensive as hell?

You can buy professional studio monitors for less money with integrated amplifiers.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #9,342 of 20,602
...Bryston bha 1 -> utopia...
For me, Utopia/Liquid Platinum is a notable improvement over Utopia/BHA-1. Tames some of the overly analytical/energetic/sharp top end. Also adds a bit meat to the bass. JMHO of course.

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #9,343 of 20,602
I wanna try out the 009, some guy I spoke to replaced his utopias with them and says they are the best he ever owned.
And this guy (me) replaced his 009-007Mk2/BHSE with the Utopia/WA33.
It's all a matter of personal preference. I've even posted that I doubt the Utopia could ever replace my Stax...I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back