Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 11, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #8,611 of 20,675
Sorry to hear this. Would you mind sharing which certified dealer this is so that folks can avoid them in the future?
Crutchfield, been doing business with them for almost twenty years and the vast majority of the money spent was not on the Utopia's. To their credit they did replace the first pair after thirteen months of use. This time however, the only help I received was the phone number for Focal warranty repair and a copy of the original invoice.

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8,612 of 20,675
It sounds strange, but there is a special synergy between a Headroom amp and the Utopia. It sounds really excellent, with strong,controlled bass and tons of detail and silky vocals and mids, and even some fine layering in staging.
I have a Headroom Max with it and I just love the sound. (It also is doing a very nice job with my LCD4.)
Try to seek one out.
Here's one for $800 I just found by googling; I would snap it up ($800 is like spare change jangling around in your pocket in this crazy hobby):
https://www.amazon.com/HeadRoom-Desktop-Balanced-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B013Z8P6CU

(It's not a Max, but it's in the same close family; designed by Tyll.)
Original review of the Max by the late Wes Phillips (who had a great ear for things):
https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/261/index.html

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #8,615 of 20,675
I like my Woo WA5le with the Utopia's. Helps to take just a little off the top end. Not that it is rolled off, but I find the Utopia a little hot up top sometimes. The Woo also plays nice with my LCD4 as well. Highly recommended if you like tubes.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #8,617 of 20,675
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #8,618 of 20,675
You dont think gs-x mk2 with a utopia would be too bright?

Depends on your source chain. If your source already has untamed RF and EMI in it then it may very well sound "bright" but when I auditioned it, the Utopia had the Kimber Axios copper cable and sounded extremely engaging without brightness. Clarity is a word that springs to mind. Space around the instruments also springs to mind.

GG

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #8,620 of 20,675
Gsx is source dependent. It's awesome with utopia provided your Dac is decent quality and not a glary POS.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #8,624 of 20,675
I really was surprised that the USB-cable (!) had much more effect on the sound of the Utopias than any change of headphone-cable. Whereas the Curious- USB cable with the DAVE could make the Utopias sound a little bright and thin the tonality changes a lot with the new Lush^2 USB cable. This cable makes the Utopias sound much more musical, "lush", with more and better defined bass, and a soundstage much wider (without loosing details).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back