Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 24, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #8,191 of 20,624
after lots of listening to various headphone amps, mostly through the utopia, I still think my modest 2 channel speakers system (Yamaha receiver, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 speakers, SVS SB13-Ultra sub) sounds way better than any headphone. I even prefer the desktop rig, Sony UDA-1, MartinLogan Motion LX-16, very very low end deftech sub to any headphones. We all get wrapped-up with headphone here, but given the choice, speakers are better. There are times, obviously, where headphones are needed.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #8,192 of 20,624
after lots of listening to various headphone amps, mostly through the utopia, I still think my modest 2 channel speakers system (Yamaha receiver, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 speakers, SVS SB13-Ultra sub) sounds way better than any headphone. I even prefer the desktop rig, Sony UDA-1, MartinLogan Motion LX-16, very very low end deftech sub to any headphones. We all get wrapped-up with headphone here, but given the choice, speakers are better. There are times, obviously, where headphone are needed.
High end speakers and matching electronics in an appropriately sized and acoustically treated dedicated space might beat headphones. Otherwise it is a matter of preference.

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #8,193 of 20,624
after lots of listening to various headphone amps, mostly through the utopia, I still think my modest 2 channel speakers system (Yamaha receiver, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 speakers, SVS SB13-Ultra sub) sounds way better than any headphone. I even prefer the desktop rig, Sony UDA-1, MartinLogan Motion LX-16, very very low end deftech sub to any headphones. We all get wrapped-up with headphone here, but given the choice, speakers are better. There are times, obviously, where headphone are needed.

I know hp is great for personal stuff. That's why I must continue to update to my 2 channel system. I miss them.
Just preordered tube Preamp. Unit not arrive til August.
Thinking 2 tube monoblocks to replace my MC275 and call it for life. That is about 12k for 3 units and later on 16 kt150 tubes upgrade for 1.6k
Starts thinking about my early retirement gifts. I don’t think my ears will enjoy anymore when I'll hit 65.
Hopefully, few of us are thinking the same idea?

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #8,194 of 20,624
I know hp is great for personal stuff. That's why I must continue to update to my 2 channel system. I miss them.
Just preordered tube Preamp. Unit not arrive til August.
Thinking 2 tube monoblocks to replace my MC275 and call it for life. That is about 12k for 3 units and later on 16 kt150 tubes upgrade for 1.6k
Starts thinking about my early retirement gifts. I don’t think my ears will enjoy anymore when I'll hit 65.
Hopefully, few of us are thinking the same idea?

The MC2301’s are pretty nice! Depending on how soft your tube preamp is you may want to consider Solid State amp(s) ....just a thought

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #8,195 of 20,624
The MC2301’s are pretty nice! Depending on how soft your tube preamp is you may want to consider Solid State amp(s) ....just a thought

Thanks Jason.
Have SS.
Heard tube then change tube.
Now, will go with tube monoblocks, much better than stereo amp setup.
Heard it at local dealer shop.
I guess tubes setup is for my ears, from hp desktop, trans, portable to 2 channel.
Now, I have to convince and demonstrate my son that listening to his ear buds with his phone are the worst thing he can do with his life.
Told him that I've heard live music, reel tape, 8 tracks, records, tape, CD starting from my 5 years old boy life.
I guess music is my passion for life.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8,196 of 20,624
after lots of listening to various headphone amps, mostly through the utopia, I still think my modest 2 channel speakers system (Yamaha receiver, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 speakers, SVS SB13-Ultra sub) sounds way better than any headphone. I even prefer the desktop rig, Sony UDA-1, MartinLogan Motion LX-16, very very low end deftech sub to any headphones. We all get wrapped-up with headphone here, but given the choice, speakers are better. There are times, obviously, where headphones are needed.

+1. I've noticed that my 2 channel system (B&W 800 D3, McIntosh, Aurender) always sounded better than the various headphones/amps setup I had came across. I feel the speed, dynamics and resolution is a whole another level. However, Utopia with Hugo 2 is no slouch either. The downside of having such a resolving 2 channel system for me is after listening every song on Utopia, I always want to go back to my 2 channel system and listen the same song to draw the conclusion of how much I missed on my headphone setup.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #8,197 of 20,624
I disagree with the argument of one headphone for all genres. First I can’t explain why I have so many headphones if that’s true. But seriously no headphone I’ve heard is the best for every type of music. I have the Utopia, Elear and Audeze LCD4,3,2 LCDi4, AKG K812, MeSpeakers Aeon and others. All are wonderful phones and each has it’s niche. As for speakers, you can keep em. To get the equivalent sound of the Utopia or LCD4 you have to spend significantly more. Just my two cents.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #8,198 of 20,624
I disagree with the argument of one headphone for all genres. First I can’t explain why I have so many headphones if that’s true. But seriously no headphone I’ve heard is the best for every type of music. I have the Utopia, Elear and Audeze LCD4,3,2 LCDi4, AKG K812, MeSpeakers Aeon and others. All are wonderful phones and each has it’s niche. As for speakers, you can keep em. To get the equivalent sound of the Utopia or LCD4 you have to spend significantly more. Just my two cents.

I don't think anyone is arguing that you should be able to find one that's fits all, just that some of us have for our personal preferences. Nothing wrong with that.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #8,199 of 20,624
Ironically, I think Focal/JM-Labs most astounding technical achievement is the Utopia headphone rather than all of its many speakers over the decades.

I think they spent all these years working on speakers to perfect the perfect driver for the headphone world. (Some would say the Utopia is the world's best headphone, but that would just be an opinion you know.)

They may end up better known for the Utopia headphone than for the Grande Utopia speaker.

But more power to them...

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #8,200 of 20,624
well this is a headphone forum :relaxed:

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #8,202 of 20,624
fwiw, i prefer the sound of my loud speakers to my headphones but i listen to headphones more often. they're different listening experiences and it's nice having both options.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #8,204 of 20,624

Two reasons I like having a variety of headphones:

- Present the same music in different ways, to give it 'freshness' or suit a particular mood.

- Compensate for the variability in recording mixes and quality. A less detailed and resolving headphone can be preferable with recordings which are mixed too bright or generally poor quality.

For similar reasons, I like having both headphones and speakers.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #8,205 of 20,624
I think the Utopia and the LCD3 would make a great marriage. Cover energy, snap and fun with the Utopia, and the LCD 3 when you need to chill.

I was going to say LCD4 for the second Headphone but I haven’t spent enough time with it to know how “chill” it is.

Btw- I was all about trying to shoot for “one can to rule them all” but I think the 2 great headphone route works better for me. Sometimes I need to relax, and other times I need to punch walls and have fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back