Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #8,176 of 20,544
Out of those four, I've only heard the Utopia, and the others interest me. Would appreciate impressions of how they compare with the Utopia.
Please search this thread as there are many impressions. Short story. LCD-4 has more bass, less treble, and is less dynamic. The HS1000v2 has less impressions as it's not quite in the sea class as the utopia, but I'm sure you can find some if you read here, use google, and read he HE1000 threads.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #8,178 of 20,544
I didn't think the HEKv2 was in the same class as Utopia nor LCD4 in terms of resolution and overall SQ.
YMMV but in the $1-2K range I would personally rank open cans as follows: Auteur > Clear > LCD X > HEK > LCD 3 > HD800S > HEX

I have the Clear and LCD-3, and for me they're about a tie (so far, could change). A touch more resolution with the Clear, fuller and more engaging bass with the LCD-3, more sense of clarity and neutrality with the Clear. I found the LCD-X to sound more neutral than the LCD-3, so in a way more similar to the Clear, but between the Clear and LCD-X I'd pick the Clear.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #8,179 of 20,544
I have the Clear and LCD-3, and for me they're about a tie (so far, could change). A touch more resolution with the Clear, fuller and more engaging bass with the LCD-3, more sense of clarity and neutrality with the Clear. I found the LCD-X to sound more neutral than the LCD-3, so in a way more similar to the Clear, but between the Clear and LCD-X I'd pick the Clear.

I wasn't big on the LCD 3 a bit recessed on treble and dark overall for me but yes I also think Clear edges out the X a bit on technicalities, hence why I have the Utopia it's big brother. I like the X a lot though.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #8,180 of 20,544
I have the Utope, HEKv2, and the LCD4. I just got the latter-most a week ago, actually.

Getting the LCD4 has made me have a renewed understanding of how much I like the HEKv2, actually. I'm still getting accustomed to the LCD4's schtick, but I'm actually using EQ to kind-of "undarken" them at the moment (~+1.5dB starting around 1200hz), which probably sounds like blasphemy to an LCD-3/4 fan. I'm not sure I'm digging them like I was thinking I would.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #8,181 of 20,544
I have the Utope, HEKv2, and the LCD4. I just got the latter-most a week ago, actually.

Getting the LCD4 has made me have a renewed understanding of how much I like the HEKv2, actually. I'm still getting accustomed to the LCD4's schtick, but I'm actually using EQ to kind-of "undarken" them at the moment (~+1.5dB starting around 1200hz), which probably sounds like blasphemy to an LCD-3/4 fan. I'm not sure I'm digging them like I was thinking I would.

HEK vs LCD3/4 is a polar difference I'd say. Perhaps the LCD4 signature will grow on you.

I wish the Auteur was more widely accessible e.g. no build times and sold on Amazon, etc. I feel it's best in class.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #8,182 of 20,544
HEK vs LCD3/4 is a polar difference I'd say. Perhaps the LCD4 signature will grow on you.

Yes, agreed on both counts. The LCD4 has been a fun listen so far and I'll surely need to give it more time still to form a more solid opinion.

A little while ago, I had a markedly lukewarm reaction to the Auteur's closed-back sibling, the Eikon, and threw it up for sale after just a week. And luckily I priced it too high, giving me time to revisit it in the meantime, and now I love it to death LOL. The Auteur is something I'd like to try out for at least a few good months too.

Even the Utopia, which I've had for approaching six months, cyclically falls in and out of favor for me. Which is fine. I've been having a blast playing "musical headphones" since I got bitten by the headphone bug so it's all good, hehe.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #8,183 of 20,544
Sorry to get off topic here, but what did that 'nutritional shake' promise to do?!
It is meant to be a 'cleanse," meaning that it will purge your body of any markers that would result in a positive test on a 'substance abuse' screening. No scientific basis for this..... especially if it is a hair test.
I bet his music sounded much better before the shake.
I didn't ask this specifically, but I am sure you are correct. After week 2, I pretty much said "I love you, but I cannot deal with you right now, call me in 4 weeks because your negative attitude is contagious. I want my friend back." Friend is now using a Wizinator and stealing urine from his/her (trying to protect anonymity here) potting training practice toilet. :sweat_smile:
I find the MassDrop HD6xx (or Sennheiser HD650, recent models) to be a great complement to the Utopia.
/QUOTE]
That is why we must all have multiple headphones! I have the Massdrop x ZMF Vibros, and I've been loving them a lot lately...... pondering another ZMF purchase, providing it doesn't lead to the dissolution of my marriage, LOL!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #8,184 of 20,544
Holy trinity to own IMHO : Utopia, LCD4, HE1000v2. Honorable mention to make this a quartet: Sony Z1R.
If you are listening on one of these and something doesn't sound right on the music you have playing, one of the others will probably solve things (most of the time).

(I didn't include Stax since it requires a whole new amp/cables/etc.)
I would not hesitate to own all of them if given the resources :) But something like ADX5k or HD800/S would take precedence over Z1R for me since Z1R is sonically close to LCD4.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #8,185 of 20,544
Holy trinity to own IMHO : Utopia, LCD4, HE1000v2. Honorable mention to make this a quartet: Sony Z1R.
If you are listening on one of these and something doesn't sound right on the music you have playing, one of the others will probably solve things (most of the time).

I am interested in how you would describe the HEKv2 complementing the Utopia. What does the former do better than the latter, other than stage height and size? Most of the comparisons I have read have been with the LCD4.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #8,186 of 20,544
To me all of these 4 sound very different from each other.
HE1000v2:

The HEKv2 is polite yet nicely defined. The bass is deep and solid, but I would not call it super clear. It is a very relaxing phone. The musical objects are well defined. there is a sense of ambiance to it. The placement and layering of musical events is nicely done. I can listen for hours in this fatigue-free friendly zone of contentment.

Utopia:

The Utopia stands out with very realistic tonality and character of every musical object (meaning vocals, instruments, even percussion tools like sticks and brushes). It is uncannily natural.

I can't say the placement of musical objects jumps out at me, but objects are separate and don't bleed into each other. But the varying texture of every element is so amazingly realistic, I just get lost in the truth of things and don't care about anything else. It is an extremely compelling portrayal of the bits and pieces of any musical performance.

I find myself reflecting on what I heard days after I listen to something. Each time I listen it's a memorable event.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #8,187 of 20,544
Guys, after all this time with utopia, which musical style do you think fits the most? And subjectively what is your favorite?

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #8,188 of 20,544
Let's focus on the utopia. What music works "best" with it, but not what's your favorite. Start a new thread to talk about that.

I think all genres work well with the utopia, also I do feel that electrostatics are better for classical symphony due to the openness and airiness.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #8,189 of 20,544
Let's focus on the utopia. What music works "best" with it, but not what's your favorite. Start a new thread to talk about that.

I think all genres work well with the utopia, also I do feel that electrostatics are better for classical symphony do to the openness and airiness.

Feel the same way. I've never been a person that needed a certain pair of headphones for a certain genre. I love the way the Utopia presents music to me, all music. So what if rap is "supposed" to have "boomy" bass, I like the way I hear it on the Utopia.

Plus it helps me keep my headphone inventory low.

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #8,190 of 20,544

I think all genres work well with the utopia, also I do feel that electrostatics are better for classical symphony do to the openness and airiness.

You mean it’s not the Clear and LCD2 thread? lol

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back