Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 16, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #8,118 of 20,628
Hola, I had to edit what I wrote because it sounded all kinds of slow lol how much of a jump in quality did you experience once you moved to your current setup from the Mojo???? My cheap ass didn't pay off my Hugo 2 yet. So I'm still stuck on this Mojo ordeal lol.
I'm sorry for the delay in answering this, I was travelling for work last week.

I bought interconnects and a different cable for Utopias at the same time as the McIntosh DAC. So I would say that it was a considerable step up in quality. But the law of diminishing returns probably applies...... I haven't heard the Hugo, but would think that it is noticeably better than the Mojo, so the McDAC would be another step up, but maybe not as steep of a step. (If that makes any sense).

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #8,119 of 20,628
I'm sorry for the delay in answering this, I was travelling for work last week.

I bought interconnects and a different cable for Utopias at the same time as the McIntosh DAC. So I would say that it was a considerable step up in quality. But the law of diminishing returns probably applies...... I haven't heard the Hugo, but would think that it is noticeably better than the Mojo, so the McDAC would be another step up, but maybe not as steep of a step. (If that makes any sense).
The Mc is better than the Hugo2 you think?

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #8,122 of 20,628
Silly question. I see that kind of Dac you got costs like $7k lol. @doggiemom
I really can't say, as I haven't heard the Hugo. :)
Thanks! This is the best compliment so far!
My baby girl is just 1 years old, so I think I am growing up. :smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:
I had to show a new hire at work how to burn a CD the other day. I felt really old. He probably hasn't even heard of high speed dubbing. :grin:

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #8,123 of 20,628
Please keep us posted with your comparison this weekend :). The Hugo2 should bring out the best of those two, and i (and I am sure many others) would be delighted to hear more.

I chose the Clear. I explained why in the Clear thread.

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #8,124 of 20,628
I have a question for those Utopia owners who began their listening with a moderately priced DAC/amp and later upgraded to a Hugo 2 or comparable DAC. In my case, I first began with my Mojo using an AK240SS as my transport. I then tried my iDSD micro BL, and preferred the Mojo just because its tonality matched better to my ears with my Utopias.

I really love the Utopia with my source gear and believe I can be happy for the long term, but of course, I wonder about quantitative differences between the Mojo and Hugo 2. My question is to those who upgraded, are you completely happy that you did finding the improvements to be on a substantial level? Or are the improvements more on an incremental level? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I owned a Hugo prior to buying my Mojo, and although I felt the Hugo had greater recovery of detail, the Mojo suited my sensitivities more so.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #8,125 of 20,628
I have a question for those Utopia owners who began their listening with a moderately priced DAC/amp and later upgraded to a Hugo 2 or comparable DAC. In my case, I first began with my Mojo using an AK240SS as my transport. I then tried my iDSD micro BL, and preferred the Mojo just because its tonality matched better to my ears with my Utopias.

I really love the Utopia with my source gear and believe I can be happy for the long term, but of course, I wonder about quantitative differences between the Mojo and Hugo 2. My question is to those who upgraded, are you completely happy that you did finding the improvements to be on a substantial level? Or are the improvements more on an incremental level? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I owned a Hugo prior to buying my Mojo, and although I felt the Hugo had greater recovery of detail, the Mojo suited my sensitivities more so.
I think you put your finger right on the question — is more detail going to be a good thing?

As far as incremental vs substantial, that’s all about your ears. My ‘substantial’ might be your ‘incremental’, or vice versa.

I will say that you will probably hear as much (or more) difference from Utopia as from any other cans. For example, I heard the difference between Denafrips Ares vs Pontus via Utopia way more than via my other cans.

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #8,126 of 20,628

It's not a long, drawn out comparison, but this should help a bit.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #8,127 of 20,628

I have the Mojo and Hugo 2, and have tried both with the Utopia and Clear. I had perceived a significant difference in the sound of the two DAC/amps, until I introduced some controls and did instant switching between, and then was very surprised that the differences I had previously perceived pretty much disappeared. So at least for my ears, any difference between them seems to be subtle, at most. YMMV. Regarding power, I think both the Mojo and Hugo 2 have ample power for the Utopia.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #8,128 of 20,628

I wish I knew the answer to that because it's the same route I'm heading. I never got any opportunity to hear the Hugo2 at any Canjams. So, I'll be going into this blind.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #8,129 of 20,628
I wish I knew the answer to that because it's the same route I'm heading. I never got any opportunity to hear the Hugo2 at any Canjams. So, I'll be going into this blind.

Please let everyone know your experience when you get your Hugo 2.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #8,130 of 20,628
It's not a long, drawn out comparison, but this should help a bit.

Please let everyone know your experience when you get your Hugo 2.

It's not a long drawn out comparison, but the first quote has a link to comments I wrote after upgrading from Mojo to Hugo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back