Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 9, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #7,321 of 20,675
Have a few extended trips coming up so I finally decided to drop the money on the Focal case. I'm sure it'll barely get used, but I couldn't pass up having a case that was made specifically for these cans. Plus it's well built and looks pretty nice.

Now I just need the headphone stand. Not sure I'm willing to shell out the money they want for that though.

Very nice! The Focal Headphone stand is probably the nicest stand out there but it is for sure pretty pricey.

May 9, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #7,322 of 20,675
Have a few extended trips coming up so I finally decided to drop the money on the Focal case. I'm sure it'll barely get used, but I couldn't pass up having a case that was made specifically for these cans. Plus it's well built and looks pretty nice.

Now I just need the headphone stand. Not sure I'm willing to shell out the money they want for that though.

The Woo Audio stand (HPS-R) is very sturdy and works perfectly with my Utopias. The headphones rest on a metal part that matches the curve of the headband, so there's no need to worry about the stand creating dents in the headband. As a bonus, the Woo Audio stand is less than 1/3 the price of the Focal stand.

May 9, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #7,323 of 20,675
The Woo Audio stand (HPS-R) is very sturdy and works perfectly with my Utopias. The headphones rest on a metal part that matches the curve of the headband, so there's no need to worry about the stand creating dents in the headband. As a bonus, the Woo Audio stand is less than 1/3 the price of the Focal stand.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the Woo Audio stand and considered it when I bought mine, but I liked the softer surface and the looks of the AudioQuest "Perch".

May 9, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #7,324 of 20,675
Loving the Norne Draug Silver for my Utopia... it was so good I had to buy another Norne cable for my Eikon!

As for above, speaking of Woo Audio stands... :)

u5UMkRK.jpg

May 10, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #7,325 of 20,675
+1 I can't give up the physical impact the Utopia brings to the table.

I agree with this. I have had the Utopia since December and have the Lazuli Ref cable. Pre buying the Utopia I auditioned most of the totl's (Sasvara, SR009 - only from a Stax amp admittedly, HEKv2 etc) except the Abyss (which I am still very intrigued about). No other phone had the physical impact of the Utopia, it actually sounded intimidating compared to the other cans - visceral. I am kind of used to that now after owning them nearly 6 months. Last week I dropped into a store to audition the HEKv2 again and also the Final D8000. I then listened to the Utopia again and immediately felt that physical impact compared to both other cans. The only thing that bugs me about the Utopia is the headstage size, I admit I would like it to be larger. I am using a Hugo 2 to drive them. Unfortunately last week I also tried the Utopia with the Dave and it was incredible and addresses the Headstage size issue. So now I am plotting how I can get the scratch together to buy one - it will take a while.

May 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #7,326 of 20,675

Lol, my strap broke off on one side of my case, I was lucky enough to receive mines as a gift, I didn't pay anything for it. Even though that case is totally worth the price for me because of the fit/finish.

May 10, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #7,329 of 20,675
What happened that ripped it off?
It fell while inside my bookbag. I took it out of the bookbag and one of those metal screws that hold's the strap completely ripped out. My Utopia was inside and nothing happened to it. Just the case.

May 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #7,330 of 20,675
It fell while inside my bookbag. I took it out of the bookbag and one of those metal screws that hold's the strap completely ripped out. My Utopia was inside and nothing happened to it. Just the case.
WOW. That had to be some force. I am tugging on it now (was scared to do it but went easy at first) and from tugging I feel like the strap would rip or pull out of the groove before the metal pin would pull out. Sorry that happened Pete. Glad the Utopias were safe from the drop.

BTW I looked inside the case to see if there was a way to put the screw back in for you. I see that the inside is totally sewn shut, as to not let you easily get into it to try and fix the screw part. If you are adventurous and care enough you could pull the threading out of the inside to get to it.

May 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #7,331 of 20,675
WOW. That had to be some force. I am tugging on it now (was scared to do it but went easy at first) and from tugging I feel like the strap would rip or pull out of the groove before the metal pin would pull out. Sorry that happened Pete. Glad the Utopias were safe from the drop.

BTW I looked inside the case to see if there was a way to put the screw back in for you. I see that the inside is totally sewn shut, as to not let you easily get into it to try and fix the screw part. If you are adventurous and care enough you could pull the threading out of the inside to get to it.
Thank's dude, I checked too. I was never ever able to find that pin either.

May 11, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #7,332 of 20,675
i was referring to the third sentence of your post - not the last sentence. i understand what "to each his own" means. :wink: i don't see folks describing $4-5k cans as "bargains", generally speaking, and i certainly don't.

at the risk of coming off as harsh, this is the high-end forum aka summit-fi. expensive gear goes with the territory and it's kind of pointless coming here to whine about it.

The third sentence? I found the Utopia a bit lacking and other $4-5k headphones even worse. I wonder if the classic totl cans would have skyrocketed in price if the new $4-5k headphones were not underperforming.

Aren't you whining when you say you do not see folks describing their $4-5k headphones as bargains? I actually have seen people say their $4-5k headphones are bargains.

One of the great things about headphones, even at the Summit-Fi, is that a working class man or woman with enough discipline and hard work can actually afford the best this hobby has to offer. I'm working class. I also bet there are plenty of penny pinching rich people that like getting their money's worth. I could be wrong but I think that's probably the majority here on Summit-fi.
The minority, at least from my perspective, even here in Summit-fi, is people who do not care what something costs.

It is under a different handle but I'm on here giving plenty of praise to Apex Teton, Ecp dsha-4 and most recently 1980's Japan gear. Not to boast but I think I have gotten decent at giving credit where credit is due all the way well past $4-5k when you get speakers involved. My mentor is pmurder (purk). Who is yours?

I like the Utopia build quality, comfort and sonics. I don't know why price would not be allowed. Audeze and Abyss advertise $100k speaker system in a can.

May 11, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #7,333 of 20,675
well this is discouraging, has anyone had issues with something rattling inside one of the drivers? I've just noticed it on the left side and it sounds like a screw has gotten lose. I'm not sure what to make of it, I'm taking it back to the store where I got it to have it looked at since its still under warranty but it still discouraging to see something like this on a $4k pair of headphones.

May 11, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #7,334 of 20,675
The third sentence? I found the Utopia a bit lacking and other $4-5k headphones even worse. I wonder if the classic totl cans would have skyrocketed in price if the new $4-5k headphones were not underperforming.

Aren't you whining when you say you do not see folks describing their $4-5k headphones as bargains? I actually have seen people say their $4-5k headphones are bargains.

One of the great things about headphones, even at the Summit-Fi, is that a working class man or woman with enough discipline and hard work can actually afford the best this hobby has to offer. I'm working class. I also bet there are plenty of penny pinching rich people that like getting their money's worth. I could be wrong but I think that's probably the majority here on Summit-fi.
The minority, at least from my perspective, even here in Summit-fi, is people who do not care what something costs.

It is under a different handle but I'm on here giving plenty of praise to Apex Teton, Ecp dsha-4 and most recently 1980's Japan gear. Not to boast but I think I have gotten decent at giving credit where credit is due all the way well past $4-5k when you get speakers involved. My mentor is pmurder (purk). Who is yours?

I like the Utopia build quality, comfort and sonics. I don't know why price would not be allowed. Audeze and Abyss advertise $100k speaker system in a can.
thanks for clarifying that third sentence. :relaxed:

in response to your other points:
there's a fundamental difference between making an observation, which is what i did, and banging on about how expensive totl headphones are in a high-end forum, which is what you've been doing.

i'll leave it to you to make assumptions about the kind of folk who participate in this forum.

yes, "it is under a different handle" and not related to what you've been posting in this thread. and no, i don't have a mentor for this hobby because i haven't felt a need for one.

the utopia is an expensive headphone - no one is denying that. it seems to me that your main issue with the utopia is that it is unaffordable and while i can appreciate that, i see little point bleating about it here for the reasons that i've already given. and referring to the abyss's marketing spiel as justification for doing it really is beside the point.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #7,335 of 20,675
thanks for clarifying that third sentence. :relaxed:

in response to your other points:
there's a fundamental difference between making an observation, which is what i did, and banging on about how expensive totl headphones are in a high-end forum, which is what you've been doing.

i'll leave it to you to make assumptions about the kind of folk who participate in this forum.

yes, "it is under a different handle" and not related to what you've been posting in this thread. and no, i don't have a mentor for this hobby because i haven't felt a need for one.

the utopia is an expensive headphone - no one is denying that. it seems to me that your main issue with the utopia is that it is unaffordable and while i can appreciate that, i see little point bleating about it here for the reasons that i've already given. and referring to the abyss's marketing spiel as justification for doing it really is beside the point.

You are exhausting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back