Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #6,286 of 20,624
I seem to recall a decent amount of people enjoying the Utopia/Hugo2 pairing. I currently have a bimby/asgard 2 stack for my Utopia and I'd like to go up a step in my source components. So far I have my eye on the CMA600i from Questlye and the Hugo2. I like the sound of my current setup, but I'm looking to step up a bit. I've used my mojo as a DAC feeding my Asgard in the past and felt like it sounded a bit thin/brittle compared to the Bimby, hopefully this isn't an issue with the Hugo2.

Any thoughts from those that have tried any of these? I'm especially fond of the small form factor, portability, and remote offered by the Hugo2, I'd just need to get over the price tag.
Did you see that freaking price increase in the states for the Hugo2? lol, from $2379 to $2695. Nuts!

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #6,288 of 20,624
I seem to recall a decent amount of people enjoying the Utopia/Hugo2 pairing. I currently have a bimby/asgard 2 stack for my Utopia and I'd like to go up a step in my source components. So far I have my eye on the CMA600i from Questlye and the Hugo2. I like the sound of my current setup, but I'm looking to step up a bit. I've used my mojo as a DAC feeding my Asgard in the past and felt like it sounded a bit thin/brittle compared to the Bimby, hopefully this isn't an issue with the Hugo2.

Any thoughts from those that have tried any of these? I'm especially fond of the small form factor, portability, and remote offered by the Hugo2, I'd just need to get over the price tag.

I absolutely love Utopia paired with my Chord Hugo2.. I've been struggling between Sennheiser HDV820 and H2... not sure which one I'm keeping but both are so darn good with my Utopia.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #6,289 of 20,624

have you tried the mojo with another amp? I don't find the mojo to add "thin and brittle" to any chain. Maybe it could make something sound more thin and brittle due to its transparency?

The Hugo 2 filters can add more warmth, but given what you said I don't know if it will be enough. I can't stand thin and brittle and for me the Utopia out of the Hugo 2 is not that. BUT those are my ears you know? I think its an incredible pairing... I still like adding the Rogue RH5 to the chain, but I really enjoy clean, slightly warm tubes to the Utopia.

In regards to the Questlye 600i, I love it and have been using it for a long time now with all our headphones. I think for an "all in one" desktop set up it is killer. Its a very neutral amp/DAC but its still able to take a slight edge off the HD800.

If portability is what your after then Hugo 2 (hopefully you can demo it), if not, you will do great with the 600i given your current stack.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #6,290 of 20,624
I absolutely love Utopia paired with my Chord Hugo2.. I've been struggling between Sennheiser HDV820 and H2... not sure which one I'm keeping but both are so darn good with my Utopia.
i'm REALLY excited to listen to the HDV820 again! They did a fantastic job of marrying that piece with both HD800 and HD800s. I am interested to see how it sounds with the HD820. Mark has been kicking the idea around about getting one. Maybe me telling him it pairs nicely with the Utopia will put the bug in his ear :beerchug:

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #6,291 of 20,624
have you tried the mojo with another amp? I don't find the mojo to add "thin and brittle" to any chain. Maybe it could make something sound more thin and brittle due to its transparency?

The Hugo 2 filters can add more warmth, but given what you said I don't know if it will be enough. I can't stand thin and brittle and for me the Utopia out of the Hugo 2 is not that. BUT those are my ears you know? I think its an incredible pairing... I still like adding the Rogue RH5 to the chain, but I really enjoy clean, slightly warm tubes to the Utopia.

In regards to the Questlye 600i, I love it and have been using it for a long time now with all our headphones. I think for an "all in one" desktop set up it is killer. Its a very neutral amp/DAC but its still able to take a slight edge off the HD800.

If portability is what your after then Hugo 2 (hopefully you can demo it), if not, you will do great with the 600i given your current stack.

I've used it standalone and in line-out mode feeding the Asgard 2, thinking it might warm it a tad, but it didn't seem to make much difference. It's hard to tell, and shows itself more in listening fatigue over half an hour or more. I'm not sure if it might be the USB I'm feeding it with (I've heard reports of less than ideal sound from the USB input). Makes me want to pickup a Schiit Eitr and see if coax in sounds the same.

We've got a pretty big meet coming up this weekend in AZ, and it looks like I'll get to spend some time with both the 600i and the Hugo 2. I'm really hoping I enjoy the pairing with the Hugo 2, as it seems to be perfect; mainly desktop use, but can be portable for extended trips, remote, different filters, line-out mode, and obviously the reviews and capabilities. The 600i looks nice as well, I just wish the DAC seemed more impressive (at least on paper, maybe it's great in real world use).

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #6,292 of 20,624
Utopia with the CMA600i or with the Hugo 2 both are quite popular pairings. Yesterday I had a nice customer pick up the CMA600i and Utopia. Today I have a few Hugo 2 coming in and one for a customer to pair with his Utopia! USB for me at home has been driving me up a wall for years, got some EMI issues that appears with USB powered Dacs but things like the Jitterbug from AQ helps out. Coax just works but has some limitations for higher file formats.

The Dac on the 600i might be the pretty standard AKM 4490 but the amp section of the 600i is certainly where the unit shines.

I've used it standalone and in line-out mode feeding the Asgard 2, thinking it might warm it a tad, but it didn't seem to make much difference. It's hard to tell, and shows itself more in listening fatigue over half an hour or more. I'm not sure if it might be the USB I'm feeding it with (I've heard reports of less than ideal sound from the USB input). Makes me want to pickup a Schiit Eitr and see if coax in sounds the same.

We've got a pretty big meet coming up this weekend in AZ, and it looks like I'll get to spend some time with both the 600i and the Hugo 2. I'm really hoping I enjoy the pairing with the Hugo 2, as it seems to be perfect; mainly desktop use, but can be portable for extended trips, remote, different filters, line-out mode, and obviously the reviews and capabilities. The 600i looks nice as well, I just wish the DAC seemed more impressive (at least on paper, maybe it's great in real world use).

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #6,293 of 20,624
Get a Schiit eitr. usb issues solved.

I had a horrible USB hum. I used a Uptone Regen, and that solved the issue. I then upgraded the DAC to Gen 5, and I was able to put the Uptone away. No hum. No issues. Those that seem to be able to hear tiny details in audio quality really like the eitr.

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #6,294 of 20,624
Get a Schiit eitr. usb issues solved.

I had a horrible USB hum. I used a Uptone Regen, and that solved the issue. I then upgraded the DAC to Gen 5, and I was able to put the Uptone away. No hum. No issues. Those that seem to be able to hear tiny details in audio quality really like the eitr.

I'm pretty close to picking up an Eitr to try with the Mojo, just to see if it's my imagination or not (wish it was already on amazon so I could have an easy out if I didn't like it).

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #6,296 of 20,624
I'll need to confirm when I get a single ended to balanced adapter but the RME ADI-2 DAC is a fantastic AIO that also has a great USB implementation.

I've always shied away from USB in the past using Eitr or optical inputs on Gumby.

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #6,297 of 20,624
I'll need to confirm when I get a single ended to balanced adapter but the RME ADI-2 DAC is a fantastic AIO that also has a great USB implementation.

I've always shied away from USB in the past using Eitr or optical inputs on Gumby.

All USB DDC devices have to convert USB to coax, optical, AES, and i2S. If a DAC already comes with similar high performance USB input, then it stands to reason that an external DDC will not improve the sound. Schitt will tell you that EITR is redundant if you have one of their DACs with Gen 5 USB.

On the other question of improving Mojo and even Hugo 2, I think most owners who have tried it, have coax and optical performance ahead of USB. A lot of this has to do with your USB source. My own experience with Mimby tells my ears that coax has more natural sound whereas USB tends to be a little fatiguing in the highs. The USB source for my case is a MacBook Pro. Yes, I am using coax because until recently, I did not know Apple removed optical from MacBook Pros in their latest models. It's awesome paying more for less!

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #6,298 of 20,624
I agree. With Schiit DACs BEFORE Gen 5, USB was behind AES, coax, and optical. I never used USB Gen 2. But, the RME actually has a good USB implementation, that's what I was trying to say, on par, or even better synergy with the DAC than optical or coax inputs, IMO.

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #6,299 of 20,624
Yes, I am using coax because until recently, I did not know Apple removed optical from MacBook Pros in their latest models.

How are you using coax out of a MacBook Pro?

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #6,300 of 20,624
How are you using coax out of a MacBook Pro?

EITR. I really did not enjoy having to spend another $200 because Apple removed optical!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back