Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #5,476 of 20,602
one would hope so... i have no desire to tamper with my utopia and that includes "pad rolling".

Agreed. Also why I don't "cable" roll. I think it's just silly that people think they can make something better than those that designed it.

OK, I was being a bit snarky there. Pads make much more of a difference than cables, and sound is all about what the listener likes. Sure, there are measurements to achieve a certain frequency response, but it still comes down to "if it sounds good to you, then it's better (for you)".

Amps, DACs, cables, pads, EQ, tone controls, power conditioners, magic pebbles. It it makes it sound better to you, then you feel happier. Happy is good.

If someone doesn't want to try something different, no problem. No reason to poop on others that want to try different things. If you've tried different pads, like some have, and you prefer the stock pads, that's great and we all would like to hear about that. If someone has never ride alternatives, I'm not sure say one will not try adds much to conversations.

Not trying to be mean here; I'm just saying let's try to keep the signal to noise ratio a little higher.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #5,477 of 20,602
Also sigh.

1) You need to develop a sense of humor.
2) I do actually know what the SDR mod is and how it's done.
3) I'm sure there are/will be less invasive mods that won't expose the risk of Be poisoning or of permanently damaging a $3000/$4000 headphone and might(!) even apply to frequencies other than 6 kHz.
4) I'm sorry if my request for mod suggestions insulted your ancestors.

Ah, OK. I was being too literal minded. And leave my ancestors out of this. :o2smile:

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #5,479 of 20,602
Agreed. Also why I don't "cable" roll. I think it's just silly that people think they can make something better than those that designed it.

OK, I was being a bit snarky there. Pads make much more of a difference than cables, and sound is all about what the listener likes. Sure, there are measurements to achieve a certain frequency response, but it still comes down to "if it sounds good to you, then it's better (for you)".

Amps, DACs, cables, pads, EQ, tone controls, power conditioners, magic pebbles. It it makes it sound better to you, then you feel happier. Happy is good.

If someone doesn't want to try something different, no problem. No reason to poop on others that want to try different things. If you've tried different pads, like some have, and you prefer the stock pads, that's great and we all would like to hear about that. If someone has never ride alternatives, I'm not sure say one will not try adds much to conversations.

Not trying to be mean here; I'm just saying let's try to keep the signal to noise ratio a little higher.

so you begin your post by agreeing with mine before eventually chiding me for it. in my defence, i'm a new utopia owner so modding it couldn't be further from my mind at the moment. and how is expressing contentment with what you have "poop(ing) on others that want to try different things"? i think i've posted here on three occasions, including this post, since acquiring the utopia three weeks ago. i'd like to think that i'm not solely responsible for the signal to noise ratio in this thread being lower than optimal for you. "not trying to be mean here", but when did you become a moderator?

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #5,480 of 20,602
All those posts about using pads from Clear, Is it like listening on the stock pads and pressing the speakers against your ears? ie make your eardrums closer to the speakers?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5,481 of 20,602
so you begin your post by agreeing with mine before eventually chiding me for it. in my defence, i'm a new utopia owner so modding it couldn't be further from my mind at the moment. and how is expressing contentment with what you have "poop(ing) on others that want to try different things"? i think i've posted here on three occasions, including this post, since acquiring the utopia three weeks ago. i'd like to think that i'm not solely responsible for the signal to noise ratio in this thread being lower than optimal for you. "not trying to be mean here", but when did you become a moderator?

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Let me clarify.

I started this thread to get impressions on the Utopia, associated amps, DACs, accessories, and other related stuff. Things like pad rolling, cable rolling, headband mods, cases, music that best (or worse) shows off the headphones, all add value to those thinking about the headphones and those that have them. I just don't think it adds value to the thread for folks to say what they aren't going to try. I'm not gonna try a lot of amps, DAC, cables, cases, and music, but I'm not gonna list them out. I think hearing from those that have tried things, or even speculation of what something might sound like, adds value. If everyone, myself included, could think about what we post and if it adds value to the thread, that would be wonderful.

That said, I made and tried a solid silver core cable (24AWG, 99.99% pure silver) for the Utopia. I could hear a difference between it and my copper cables. The sound from the silver copper cable might have been more detailed, but also more "brittle", is the best way I can describe it. I didn't like it for the Utopia, so I re-terminated it for my HD6xx, which comes this week. The hD650 sounds too warm to me, so I will KISS mod it, and use the silver cable. The utopia still sound best to me with copper cables and a good tube amp. Obviously, but I will say it anyways, YMMV. Oh, the silver cable sounds really good with the TH900mk2. Much less of a difference with the Th900 than with the Utopia.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5,483 of 20,602
That said, I made and tried a solid silver core cable (24AWG, 99.99% pure silver) for the Utopia. I could hear a difference between it and my copper cables. The sound from the copper cable might have been more detailed, but also more "brittle", is the best way I can describe it. I didn't like it for the Utopia, so I re-terminated it for my HD6xx, which comes this week. The hD650 sounds too warm to me, so I will KISS mod it, and use the silver cable. The utopia still sound best to me with copper cables and a good tube amp. Obviously, but I will say it anyways, YMMV. Oh, the silver cable sounds really good with the TH900mk2. Much less of a difference with the Th900 than with the Utopia.
Hi Allan - just to clarify, did you mean to say silver here? If so, this would all fit in with my experiences with the Utopia too.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #5,484 of 20,602
Anyone here currently using Lavricable 20 Grand cable? Can you give your impression please. Thinking about going this route after researching.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #5,485 of 20,602
Hi Allan - just to clarify, did you mean to say silver here? If so, this would all fit in with my experiences with the Utopia too.
oops, just testing if you were reading! :)

Yes, silver, not copper there. Fixed. I'm getting old.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #5,487 of 20,602
Anyone here currently using Lavricable 20 Grand cable? Can you give your impression please. Thinking about going this route after researching.

I have the 20 core master grand headphone cable for my Utopia and I swear by it. I've heard the Dana Cables Lazuli and I didn't understand the fuss. It could have been the less than optimal room at TAVES that impaired my ability to hear. I have used Lavricables in my HifiMan's too and I liked them. I still have Moon Black Dragon (copper) and it's a very different presentation.
IMG_1617.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5,488 of 20,602
I have the 20 core master grand headphone cable for my Utopia and I swear by it. I've heard the Dana Cables Lazuli and I didn't understand the fuss. It could have been the less than optimal room at TAVES that impaired my ability to hear. I have used Lavricables in my HifiMan's too and I liked them. I still have Moon Black Dragon (copper) and it's a very different presentation.

NIIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back