Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #5,041 of 20,602
i hate to break this to you but focal isn't manufacturing its products for sale on the secondhand market

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #5,043 of 20,602
yep, quite serious. focal's really no different to other companies that manufacturer products for the consumer market in that regard. if owners of focal's products wish to sell them in the secondhand market then they can - without the warranty of course.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #5,044 of 20,602
This whole discussion about warranties has gone on for far too long. I don't mind the occasional question about warranty about people who are genuinely curious about it but why all the back and forth. I understand that people want to save money by being able to buy 2nd hand Utopias but shouldn't it be handled by the authorized dealer if something breaks?

I give kudos to one of the local dealer here because they honor 2nd hand purchases as long as you have the receipt and that its still under the store's warranty, but I consider that to be great customer service from the dealers part and not the manufacturer.

I don't understand why people are getting upset with Focal directly as most of the time people are getting their Utopias from an authorized dealer and that the dealer themselves are the ones who should handle the warranty. Or am I missing something entirely from this discussion?

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #5,046 of 20,602
Ok....so I finally bought the Focal Utopia to pair with my Chord Hugo 2.....

And I think I'm close to audio Nirvana. I've been using the HD800S with my Hugo 2 but the difference with the Utopia is almost night and day.I find the pairing between the two just right although I read that the Woo WA8 is a better Amp.

Comparing to my HD800S, the Utopia has more bass, more clarity, transparency, instrument separation. More of everything except 2:
- I'm finding the soundstage to be closer compared to the HD800S
- Also, a minor niggle, but I find the HD800S more comfortable partly due to its lighter weight.

Anyway, I have to say this headphone is worth every NZD6500 I paid for it. I shall try and write a proper review in the next few days.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #5,047 of 20,602

And I think I'm close to audio Nirvana. I've been using the HD800S with my Hugo 2 but the difference with the Utopia is almost night and day.I find the pairing between the two just right although I read that the Woo WA8 is a better Amp.

Comparing to my HD800S, the Utopia has more bass, more clarity, transparency, instrument separation. More of everything except 2:
- Also, a minor niggle, but I find the HD800S more comfortable partly due to its lighter weight.

Anyway, I have to say this headphone is worth every NZD6500 I paid for it. I shall try and write a proper review in the next few days.

Have you settled on which filter setting to use on the H2? I'm curious to try H2 with Utopia as well.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #5,048 of 20,602

Unlike the HD800S, Utopia pairs well with a wide variety of sources as long as the amps impedance is not to high, the HD800S is capable of great things but tends to be more selective concerning amp selection. I still have the HD800S after nearly a year of Utopia ownership, sometimes it's nice to hear a different perspective depending on the genre and recording.

Welcome aboard.

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #5,049 of 20,602

I love both those headphones and have a hard time choosing a favorite. HD800S wins for weight and comfort for me too, and sometimes even SQ, as it seems to smooth over harshness present on certain recordings, which the Utopias expose. On the right, good quality recording, I'd surely grab the Utopias, but I'm a 70s prog rock fan and I'm often dismayed at how many of my very good albums were recorded very poorly.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #5,050 of 20,602
Probably because the utopia has a higher perceived failure rate than Schiit. Might even be actual. We don’t know. Perception can be a strong influencer.

You have the data? Without that, this is pure conjecture. FWIW, I've seen many Yggy's with issues since its release.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #5,051 of 20,602
You have the data? Without that, this is pure conjecture. FWIW, I've seen many Yggy's with issues since its release.

Probably indicates a probability.
Perceived doesn’t indicate fact or fiction.

Allan hasn’t made a claim of proof, he has only explored the possibilities with his thought. Most of what is said here on headfi and things you’ve posted are conjecture. My example would be “impressions”

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 24, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #5,052 of 20,602
Probably indicates a probability.
Perceived doesn’t indicate fact or fiction.

Allan hasn’t made a claim of proof, he has only explored the possibilities with his thought. Most of what is said here on headfi and things you’ve posted are conjecture. My example would be “impressions”

Problem with perception is it's often not accurate.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #5,055 of 20,602
Without the full data, everything else is anecdotal. I've had my pair since almost their release and they have been rock solid. So all we have are 2 data points out of how many sold worldwide. I would be curious to see that data, but methinks we'll never see it.

My initial point was that there are other companies who only offer warranty to the initial buyer and we're ok with that generally (as I haven't seen similar threads derailed for this issue like this one). Personally I prefer warranty coverage of the product and not the first owner (as long as it wasn't "grey market").

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back