Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 29, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #4,366 of 20,624
OK, I'll chime in.

One person's "perfect" headphone is not necessarily everyone's "perfect" one. Reasons:

1. Comfort. We all have different shaped heads so "one size fits all" will not always work. Personally I find the Sennheiser HD800S much more comfortable with less weight and less pressure than the Focals.
2. Like it or not, when you get to hi-end gear, the synergy between components can become apparent so a combination that is blissful for one person might not be for the next.
3. We all have different brains with attached hearing apparatus so reactions to what we hear is a result of genetics, environment and there is suggestion that the shape of the ear canal can make big differences, expecially with headphones.

Bottom line is that no one opinion is either right or wrong generally but might be right personally. That said general opinion is high for the Utopia but with the caveat that the soundstage is not as good as the Sennies - my experience FWIW anyway.

But I'm now only listening with the Sennie HD800S as my Focals were nuked by a visitor (a bit deaf and refuses to acknowlege it) who had the volume at extraordinarily high levels. Damn. That should be a lesson not to show gear off. I bought them used from here so have no guarantee claim but, because they were abused, would probably not have been able to make a claim anyway. Looks like it will be some time before they come back repaired and at this stage I do not know the cost - both ear pieces were damaged. But the music sounds very nice via the Sennies thank you so I'm not crying crocodile tears. That outburst will come when I have to foot the repair bill.

I'm so looking forward to the perfect headphone you are designing and manufacturing. I'm sure you'll fit every head and please every ear.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 29, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #4,367 of 20,624
Listening to Queens of the Stone Age new album "Villains" and when coupled with the Dana Cable Lazuli Reference cable these headphones are simply superb! The soundstaging, dynamics, detail retrieval and tonal balance are all spot on! I simply wouldn't change a thing based on what I'm hearing...still a year later, these headphones impress the hell out of me.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #4,368 of 20,624
Listening to Queens of the Stone Age new album "Villains" and when coupled with the Dana Cable Lazuli Reference cable these headphones are simply superb! The soundstaging, dynamics, detail retrieval and tonal balance are all spot on! I simply wouldn't change a thing based on what I'm hearing...still a year later, these headphones impress the hell out of me.
Great album! I really need to get a Laz Reference for my Utopias. So expensive though!

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #4,369 of 20,624
Actually there are plans for new flagship products by both Focal and Sony. When we'll see them is likely quite a while. Neither company is known for speed in terms of how fast these newer flagship products get released. Like I've said in past posts, flagships have to be significantly better than the previous flagship or they won't release them. What I find humorous is when people say things like "Yes, Focal will make the next one with a wider sound stage". These kinds of statements tell me that the postor doesn't know what Focal is about and their history. Unfortunately this is interpreted as real rather than faux news so it would be cool if postors stipulate it is a WAG. If you don't know what WAG means I'll help you. It means Wild A*s Guess

I plead guilty to my opinion or prediction being a wild guess...that said most often when manufacturers release new updated products they try to deal with consumers issues,complaints or recommendations....I own the utopia and think it is a wonderful product...that said i find it to be a bit closed in and the sound stage to be a bit narrow....I acknowledge that many love it the way it is but i also note that many people have the same issue i do....just as the HD800 was a praised and loved HP that had many complaining about the high end along came the HD800s to fix it or improve it...I could be wrong for sure but i am guessing that whenever the time comes to upgrade the Utopia that the next iteration will have a wider soundstage....again my opinion only and worth exactly what i charge for it...nothing

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #4,370 of 20,624
I plead guilty to my opinion or prediction being a wild guess...that said most often when manufacturers release new updated products they try to deal with consumers issues,complaints or recommendations....I own the utopia and think it is a wonderful product...that said i find it to be a bit closed in and the sound stage to be a bit narrow....I acknowledge that many love it the way it is but i also note that many people have the same issue i do....just as the HD800 was a praised and loved HP that had many complaining about the high end along came the HD800s to fix it or improve it...I could be wrong for sure but i am guessing that whenever the time comes to upgrade the Utopia that the next iteration will have a wider soundstage....again my opinion only and worth exactly what i charge for it...nothing

No actually your opinion is very fair and common really. I've run into quite a number of can lovers that are indoctrinated or developed a taste for the Sennheiser. The truth be told if you like a very and I do mean very wide sound stage it's a great headphone. It could use some serious bass improvement .....and I'm sure Sennheiser has listened to this complaint ....will they agree and incorporate more and agreeable bass into their next 800ish can? Who knows.

You can find fault with any headphone I suppose overtime. Utopia included maybe. My experience in headphones started at the SR009 ....I struggled for a number of weeks trying to know my true feeling between the 009 and the Utopia. Utopia eventually won out but after a few months I got reacquainted with my 009's. They are both great and in different ways. Today I'm a 90/10 guy favoring the Utopia. I'll admit I do set a Z1R on my head and listen to Tower of Power or Earth Wind & Fire, maybe some Joe Satriani and Steve Vai to get my guitar fix. I tend to like the 009 when listening to old and some newer Sheffield recordings. The Utopia is the game for almost everything else unless and it doesn't happen frequently, I go metal and then hand me the ZMF Eikon it is one serious hitter for metal/heavy rock. On the stats I use the Headamp Blue Hawaii I bought used. Fixed it up she runs healthy and makes the 09's sing. I use a Cavalli LAu on most anything else with a McIntosh D1100 or Chord DAVE depending on my audio level and warmth I want. On occasion I bring out the ALL IN ONE Sony Signature System but often use the 1Z Walkman as a source. I'm often using the Kimber Axios Silver but it's not uncommon for me to get on to a set of WireWorld Silver or Nordost Heimdal. If you like to set up your mood choices like I do, you sort of end up collecting a few very long audio friendships like these I've described ....we each have our own nirvana and these have become mine. I look forward to the next gen supercans, superdacs and superamps .....to me even as a senior citizen lol ....I dig this HeadGear stuff

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 30, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #4,371 of 20,624
Just realized Game of Thrones Season 7 soundtrack is already on Spotify :L3000:

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #4,372 of 20,624
But I'm now only listening with the Sennie HD800S as my Focals were nuked by a visitor (a bit deaf and refuses to acknowlege it) who had the volume at extraordinarily high levels. Damn. That should be a lesson not to show gear off. I bought them used from here so have no guarantee claim but, because they were abused, would probably not have been able to make a claim anyway. Looks like it will be some time before they come back repaired and at this stage I do not know the cost - both ear pieces were damaged. But the music sounds very nice via the Sennies thank you so I'm not crying crocodile tears. That outburst will come when I have to foot the repair bill.

That's one bill I'd show to the "visitor" so they'll know why they can't play with my toys unsupervised by me. And I agree, my HD800 sounds fine to me with the right associated gear on the music I listen to.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #4,373 of 20,624
No actually your opinion is very fair and common really. I've run into quite a number of can lovers that are indoctrinated or developed a taste for the Sennheiser. The truth be told if you like a very and I do mean very wide sound stage it's a great headphone. It could use some serious bass improvement .....and I'm sure Sennheiser has listened to this complaint ....will they agree and incorporate more and agreeable bass into their next 800ish can? Who knows.

You can find fault with any headphone I suppose overtime. Utopia included maybe. My experience in headphones started at the SR009 ....I struggled for a number of weeks trying to know my true feeling between the 009 and the Utopia. Utopia eventually won out but after a few months I got reacquainted with my 009's. They are both great and in different ways. Today I'm a 90/10 guy favoring the Utopia. I'll admit I do set a Z1R on my head and listen to Tower of Power or Earth Wind & Fire, maybe some Joe Satriani and Steve Vai to get my guitar fix. I tend to like the 009 when listening to old and some newer Sheffield recordings. The Utopia is the game for almost everything else unless and it doesn't happen frequently, I go metal and then hand me the ZMF Eikon it is one serious hitter for metal/heavy rock. On the stats I use the Headamp Blue Hawaii I bought used. Fixed it up she runs healthy and makes the 09's sing. I use a Cavalli LAu on most anything else with a McIntosh D1100 or Chord DAVE depending on my audio level and warmth I want. On occasion I bring out the ALL IN ONE Sony Signature System but often use the 1Z Walkman as a source. I'm often using the Kimber Axios Silver but it's not uncommon for me to get on to a set of WireWorld Silver or Nordost Heimdal. If you like to set up your mood choices like I do, you sort of end up collecting a few very long audio friendships like these I've described ....we each have our own nirvana and these have become mine. I look forward to the next gen supercans, superdacs and superamps .....to me even as a senior citizen lol ....I dig this HeadGear stuff

You have great taste Jason :p, and you have summed up almost about everything currently that you favor :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #4,374 of 20,624
Yes Jason did a nice job summarizing things. I obviously concur as I ended up buying from him most of the setups he described (short of the Stax although I do have an itch).

Interestingly enough, as pointed out in the Z1R thread, there is an extensive review in the Absolute Sound of the Z1R and 1Z. Next to the interview there is a full page advertisement by Kimber with a gorgeous photo of the Utopia connected to the all copper Axios running into the WM1Z walkman.

I have a 6 figure two channel system which is my main listening rig. I also now have the exact same headphone system as in this photo. I can honestly say that the day I decide to chuck it all in and abandon everything the Utopia/Axios/WM1Z would keep me happy for the rest of my life and I would not miss my big 2 channel system at all.

Too bad it can't also play vinyl!!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,376 of 20,624
Finally got my Utopias. Will be awhile for impressions but going back to a question of fit. I have a slightly larger than average head based on hat size and more square than round shape. It's 3 clicks on each side and I get a nice snug fit that is pretty comfortable. Surprised by how heavy this is, but will see how that goes when I listen for longer periods.

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #4,377 of 20,624
Finally got my Utopias. Will be awhile for impressions but going back to a question of fit. I have a slightly larger than average head based on hat size and more square than round shape. It's 3 clicks on each side and I get a nice snug fit that is pretty comfortable. Surprised by how heavy this is, but will see how that goes when I listen for longer periods.
You will love it :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #4,378 of 20,624
Ok, I'm a little late to the party, but finally got my Utopias and can comment on them a bit. For reference, my stack is powered by a Bryston BHA-1 and a Yggy, and my other headphone set is a Fostex TH900.
The main reason why I got the Utopias was that I loved my Fostex's, and I thought "Wow...if there is something better, I must give it a try!" Turns out this is not the best line of thinking, as many of you know. The correct question should have been "Given that I like my Fostex's, will I like the Utopias?"

The answer to that is, in short: No.

I have grown to love the colouration of my TH900s, and the Utopias are just too 'transparent', too down-to-earth for me. I understand this means they are more neutral, more this-is-what-the-artist-wanted-you-to-hear kind of thing. However, they lack that emotional, goosebump-giving power I find on my Fostex's.

An example to illustrate this better. Gotan's Project 'Celos' brings you the intimate chiaroscuro of a small bar somewhere deep in the city of Buenos Aires, where a woman takes the stage to entrance you with her incredible voice. The Utopias give you a table three or four rows away from this stage, where you can comfortably listen while perhaps carrying on a conversation with other people. The TH900's sit you ahead of the front row, right between her and the cellist; you can appreciate the low light, the dust suspended in the air, the vibration of the strings and the eloquence of her voice. You can't look away.

"Of course" said a guy I know. That kind of colouration is not the Utopia's strong suit. For that, you should find Sony's R10's.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #4,379 of 20,624
Oh, I should add, fit-wise and construction-wise, these headphones ARE amazing. Not heavy at all for me, as many other people have been reporting.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #4,380 of 20,624
This is literally the point. How long did Sony take to succeed their R10 ? Into the Q10 ? Even so, the R10 still remains the legendary figure and people just can not stop seeking for it or asking for it. It depends on what directions as a company that decided. At the moment, Sony has no plans to do such thing and so the direction we are heading into is...MDR-Z1R. You honestly think it would outperform the legendary R10 or Q10 in anyways ? Well, a trusted friend of mine say...Nope! Not even close.

So whatever Jason stated is litterally agreed by me. Flagship headphones is released to their highest standards by the company and by the directions the company is aiming at. The next flagship may not be the improved Utopia, and maybe an all different beast like what Sony had done in the past....you can never tell. Example is the focal speakers systems ? Ask people in stereophile and you will see

Flagship.... Pity, most of them sank very quickly. Just few remains as legend - your mentioned Sony R10 and Q10. Years passing, and nobody surpassed them. It is hard job to build real flagship, not just expensive headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back