Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,676 of 20,602
First off, nothing will have the sound-staging of the HD800/HD800S, nothing. But with the standard cable and a good setup, it's average IMO. But its ability to accurately and precisely put each player clearly in that sound-stage right there with the very best. When I popped in the Kitsune Leve 3 Spring DAC + KTE SU-1 in place of the Hugo TT, the sound staging really kicked up several notches, so I'm finding that these drivers are quite revealing of the source. In fact, they're right there in this regard with my Stax SR-009s. And now with this Dana Cable upgrade, the sound staging is very satisfying and impressive at the same time. No qualms here.

What these headphones will do over my HD800S is offer a new level of transparency, quickness and clarity and most likely the best tonal balance I've heard from any headphone.

I have compared the HD800 and Utopia (both balanced) using a GS-X Mk2 and a Mirus Pro dac as the source. I agree that the HD800 "may" give the impression of a wider soundstage but at least to me it seems artificial compared to the Utopia. The Utopia's soundstage is much more immersive and realistic -- you often feel that you can reach out and touch the musicians in many cases. In fact the more I listen to the Utopia, the more I'm hearing flaws in the HD800's overall presentation...and not just in the realm of soundstaging.

May 25, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #3,677 of 20,602
I have compared the HD800 and Utopia (both balanced) using a GS-X Mk2 and a Mirus Pro dac as the source. I agree that the HD800 "may" give the impression of a wider soundstage but at least to me it seems artificial compared to the Utopia. The Utopia's soundstage is much more immersive and realistic -- you often feel that you can reach out and touch the musicians in many cases. In fact the more I listen to the Utopia, the more I'm hearing flaws in the HD800's overall presentation...and not just in the realm of soundstaging.

Completely agreed!

May 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,678 of 20,602

It's our reference rig here. We run the utopia's fully balanced,dual mono out of the Gold series CMA 800R's. Cable in the picture is the Nordost Heimdall 2. Its been a staple here at MTME since late Nov. I love it!

We currently have the Chord Dave in the store for I believe another 2 weeks on loan. I want to bounce between the two to get a feel for the Dave since I know the Questyle stack more. :wink:
I love the Nordost heimdall 2 as well, so transparent, I'm gonna buy the fig 8 Nordost purple flair for my Naim mu so Qb

May 27, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #3,679 of 20,602
Just swapped back in the Kitsune Holo Spring L3 DAC + KTE SU-1 with my GS-X Mk2 and when coupled with the very impressive Dana Cables Lazuli Reference balanced cable, the Utopia's sound stage is just a beautiful thing to take in. The entire presentation of these headphones when you get your upstream setup going is truly one of the very best I've heard!

May 28, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #3,680 of 20,602
Just swapped back in the Kitsune Holo Spring L3 DAC + KTE SU-1 with my GS-X Mk2 and when coupled with the very impressive Dana Cables Lazuli Reference balanced cable, the Utopia's sound stage is just a beautiful thing to take in. The entire presentation of these headphones when you get your upstream setup going is truly one of the very best I've heard!

Oh so true. As a long time two channel guy- and as a Naim and Linn user where the universal mantra is "source first" - I really forgot that upstream is THE most important part of the equation as I have been spending most of the time listening to my Utopias through my Sony 1Z Walkman.

I just connected them back into my two channel system - using a Simaudio Moon 430 HA and, more importantly, a Linn DS as source.
WOW!!! Completely different headphone!

May 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #3,684 of 20,602
Hi people,

So I'm basically sold on the Utopias but I have a couple things holding me back. One is that would WA7 duos drive them fine? I think they probably will just wondering if anyone has tried it.

More importantly, I have three dilemmas. I listen to a ton of different genres so for the most part these headphones sound awesome. However, I have one weakness that my HD800s couldn't quite itch. I love some good pop-punk rock. So if someone who owns Utopias could listen to say like When I Come Around and Jesus of Suburbia (Tidal Masters are remastered mixes that aren't wall of soundy) and tell me how they sound that would be great.

Second is the sound stage? Does it sound like really poor if I'm used to HD800s? I don't care if it's smaller, I just don't want it to sound like a closed back.

The final one is the DAC. Basically I can't decide on Yggdrasil or Hugo 2. So I'd love feedback on that.

Thanks in advance!

May 28, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,685 of 20,602
Hi people,

So I'm basically sold on the Utopias but I have a couple things holding me back. One is that would WA7 duos drive them fine? I think they probably will just wondering if anyone has tried it.

More importantly, I have three dilemmas. I listen to a ton of different genres so for the most part these headphones sound awesome. However, I have one weakness that my HD800s couldn't quite itch. I love some good pop-punk rock. So if someone who owns Utopias could listen to say like When I Come Around and Jesus of Suburbia (Tidal Masters are remastered mixes that aren't wall of soundy) and tell me how they sound that would be great.

Second is the sound stage? Does it sound like really poor if I'm used to HD800s? I don't care if it's smaller, I just don't want it to sound like a closed back.

The final one is the DAC. Basically I can't decide on Yggdrasil or Hugo 2. So I'd love feedback on that.

Thanks in advance!
The Utopia's pretty efficient, so you should be good to go with the WA7. In comparison to the HD800S, the Utopia's bass is more defined, clean and present so it should be better for rock.

I can't help much with the sound stage question because I believe it to be more about personal preference than an issue of superiority. However, I will say this much. In my opinion, the Utopia simulates two channel audio imaging better than the HD800S. The stage width is less but the Utopia's more centered presentation gives it an advantage when it comes to creating the illusion of having the phantom center channel of a correctly set up pair of speakers.

This is my opinion only. Some people prefer the sound stage of the HD800S.

May 28, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3,686 of 20,602
The Utopia's pretty efficient, so you should be good to go with the WA7. In comparison to the HD800S, the Utopia's bass is more defined, clean and present so it should be better for rock.

I can't help much with the sound stage question because I believe it to be more about personal preference than an issue of superiority. However, I will say this much. In my opinion, the Utopia simulates two channel audio imaging better than the HD800S. The stage width is less but the Utopia's more centered presentation gives it an advantage when it comes to creating the illusion of having the phantom center channel of a correctly set up pair of speakers.

I agree about the way the Utopia is able to produce imaging compared to other headphones. I feel like it's able to give me A great sense of crossfeed as well. Does anyone else hear that?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 28, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #3,687 of 20,602

Thanks! Now I just need people to listen to those two songs to make sure lol.

Yeah I dont mind it being smaller, I just dont want it to sound like closed.

May 28, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #3,688 of 20,602
Hi people,

Thanks in advance!

It's pretty hard to tell soundstage from Green Day tracks given their recording and mastering. I find them to be flat and wall of sound type of mixing. Anyway, the Utopia, in my opinion, reveals what is there in a way that depends greatly on the track and the upstream gear.

As for the Hugo2 vs Yggy you'll likely get favorable responses from people in each thread (since you've posted the same question in both threads) so this may be a neutral thread to ask. The problem is no one has really heard the Hugo2 extensively and the Yggy would be influenced to a degree by the required attached amp. Measurably the Hugo2 is way better than the Yggy, but the Yggy is reported to have that 'something special' that people love about it (I haven't heard the Yggy or the Hugo2 - yet). Both camps are quite passionate about each manufacturers' implementation so it'll be difficult to find an unbiased response. From what I've read you can't go wrong with either.

My advice is to be patient until the Hugo2 has been released for some time and then read more impressions, and ask again. For what it's worth I find the Utopia connected to the Chord DAVE to be exceptional and I don't hear any lack of soundstage at all. Perhaps not the widest but certainly not claustrophobic. The Hugo2 is reported to be a mini-DAVE.

May 28, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #3,689 of 20,602
It's pretty hard to tell soundstage from Green Day tracks given their recording and mastering. I find them to be flat and wall of sound type of mixing. Anyway, the Utopia, in my opinion, reveals what is there in a way that depends greatly on the track and the upstream gear.

As for the Hugo2 vs Yggy you'll likely get favorable responses from people in each thread (since you've posted the same question in both threads) so this may be a neutral thread to ask. The problem is no one has really heard the Hugo2 extensively and the Yggy would be influenced to a degree by the required attached amp. Measurably the Hugo2 is way better than the Yggy, but the Yggy is reported to have that 'something special' that people love about it (I haven't heard the Yggy or the Hugo2 - yet). Both camps are quite passionate about each manufacturers' implementation so it'll be difficult to find an unbiased response. From what I've read you can't go wrong with either.

My advice is to be patient until the Hugo2 has been released for some time and then read more impressions, and ask again. For what it's worth I find the Utopia connected to the Chord DAVE to be exceptional and I don't hear any lack of soundstage at all. Perhaps not the widest but certainly not claustrophobic. The Hugo2 is reported to be a mini-DAVE.
Yeah that's why I said the Tidal Master quality versions of those Green Day songs. The originals are terrible mastered. I more meant if it still sounded punchy on either version I guess, the HD800s sounded kinda too airy.

And yep I did that on purpose purchasing in all three. Also really? I didn't know tiny Hugo 2 is technically superior to Yggy would have thought it would be the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back