Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 24, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #3,662 of 20,614
At the recent Singapore CanJam, I heard the Utopia through a HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 but with a copper version of the Kimber Axios cable (don't remember if balanced or single-ended) and I thought that sounded extremely "clean" and well detailed. I will be waiting for your review using the Dana Lazuli Reference cable.

Cheers
GG

I've got the Silver Dragon cable here (bought it last year and also terminated with a 4 pin XLR) and I thought it was a good step up from the stock cable and offered really nice transparency, but these Dana Cables retain that transparency and still manage to add to it further. It also opens up the sound-staging to a level I just haven't experienced from cables before. The price difference of the Lazuli Reference is 2.5X over the Silver Dragon, so that's not totally a fair comparison either.

May 24, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #3,664 of 20,614
How small is the Utopia soundstage? My main concern with it is that, and the bass vs the HD800SDR modded.

Fairly interested in these. Is the 3,000 dollar offer on them legit?

Link: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649332590-focal-utopia-world-reference-audiophile-headphones/

First off, nothing will have the sound-staging of the HD800/HD800S, nothing. But with the standard cable and a good setup, it's average IMO. But its ability to accurately and precisely put each player clearly in that sound-stage right there with the very best. When I popped in the Kitsune Leve 3 Spring DAC + KTE SU-1 in place of the Hugo TT, the sound staging really kicked up several notches, so I'm finding that these drivers are quite revealing of the source. In fact, they're right there in this regard with my Stax SR-009s. And now with this Dana Cable upgrade, the sound staging is very satisfying and impressive at the same time. No qualms here.

What these headphones will do over my HD800S is offer a new level of transparency, quickness and clarity and most likely the best tonal balance I've heard from any headphone.

May 24, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #3,665 of 20,614
First off, nothing will have the sound-staging of the HD800/HD800S, nothing. But with the standard cable and a good setup, it's average IMO. But its ability to accurately and precisely put each player clearly in that sound-stage right there with the very best. When I popped in the Kitsune Leve 3 Spring DAC + KTE SU-1 in place of the Hugo TT, the sound staging really kicked up several notches, so I'm finding that these drivers are quite revealing of the source. In fact, they're right there in this regard with my Stax SR-009s. And now with this Dana Cable upgrade, the sound staging is very satisfying and impressive at the same time. No qualms here.

What these headphones will do over my HD800S is offer a new level of transparency, quickness and clarity and most likely the best tonal balance I've heard from any headphone.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I know they are king, I more meant people have commented Utopia is surprisingly small which worried me. I didn't expect it to beat HD800.

I have WA7 Fireflies and a Cayin iDac-6 to drive em with, though may get a Yggy and change up the amp soon. (Are Tube or SS more recommended for these, my preference is musicality over like painfully sharp detail hence the SDR mod for the HD800 treble)

Thanks again, and again do you know if that price on the Utopias is legit? Site is legit.

May 24, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #3,666 of 20,614
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I know they are king, I more meant people have commented Utopia is surprisingly small which worried me. I didn't expect it to beat HD800.

I have WA7 Fireflies and a Cayin iDac-6 to drive em with, though may get a Yggy and change up the amp soon. (Are Tube or SS more recommended for these, my preference is musicality over like painfully sharp detail hence the SDR mod for the HD800 treble)

Thanks again, and again do you know if that price on the Utopias is legit? Site is legit.

I would say in relation to the HD800...but then again, mostly everything is really. But improve your source, amp/source and they will respond accordingly. I'm quite happy with the sound staging now! US Audio mart is a subsidiary of the very famous Canuckaudiomart. It is like Canada's Audiogon. Not sure about the seller though? I did notice one of their photos was taken from inneridelity.com's site...so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,667 of 20,614
How small is the Utopia soundstage? My main concern with it is that, and the bass vs the HD800SDR modded.

Fairly interested in these. Is the 3,000 dollar offer on them legit?

Link: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649332590-focal-utopia-world-reference-audiophile-headphones/
Utopia doesn't have the largest soundstage, the LCD series definitely has a larger soundstage. If you're ears/mind are prepared for extreme detail and very controlled, powerful bass...Utopia is the way to go.

May 24, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,668 of 20,614
Utopia doesn't have the largest soundstage, the LCD series definitely has a larger soundstage. If you're ears/mind are prepared for extreme detail and very controlled, powerful bass...Utopia is the way to go.

I would say the sound staging of the Utopia are similar to the LCD series (2/X/3); except for the LCD-4s which are very impressive and offer a wider sound stage. Just my 2 cents... :)

May 24, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #3,669 of 20,614
I would say the sound staging of the Utopia are similar to the LCD series (2/X/3); except for the LCD-4s which are very impressive and offer a wider sound stage. Just my 2 cents... :)
I kinda agree...I'm basing my comment off of experience with LCD-3F (which I regret selling). It's the crystal clear dynamic detail in the Utopia's, so up close and in your ear, that give me the impression of a smaller than LCD soundstage. Not small, just smaller than...if that makes sense?

May 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,670 of 20,614
I kinda agree...I'm basing my comment off of experience with LCD-3F (which I regret selling). It's the crystal clear dynamic detail in the Utopia's, so up close and in your ear, that give me the impression of a smaller than LCD soundstage. Not small, just smaller than...if that makes sense?

Yeah, I never got around to hearing the fazor version of the LCD-3s. The LCD-4s and Utopias are both in my top 4 or 5 headphones of all time FWIW.

May 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,671 of 20,614

You very likely wouldn't be disappointed. The initial response in my store with an 800/800S owner having their first listen of a Utopia has become almost humorous. They all say nearly the same thing. "Bass is really big", "sound stage isn't as wide but the Utopia sounds so real".

All are a matter of personal preference but I'd venture a guess that there are far fewer used sales on Utopia than on the 800/800S in the same 9 month period from release.
The Utopia bass isn't big, it's just right but when comparered to the 800/800S, the Utopia actually has bass without having to EQ it in.

As for you 800/800S owners. None of this is meant to dis those great cans. In fact I respect the 800/800S for being such ground breaking designs

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 24, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,672 of 20,614
I'm currently listening to the "Titanic" soundtrack using a Silver Dragon, Violectric v181 and the Gumby. The Utopia's sub bass is unreal with this setup, very present and defined. I will have to be very cautious with the volume on movie soundtracks to avoid the possibility of expensive driver repairs in the future.

May 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #3,673 of 20,614
I love having people hear the Utopia for the first time on the Goldstack and they just smile big or laugh. To me they just sound "right". I am not the biggest fan of classical (in the sense that it is not my first pick for enjoyment) but I really enjoy classical on the Utopia's. I found that surprising that they could do that for me. They are natural sounding and neutral, but still musical.... I am a fan

May 24, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #3,674 of 20,614
I love having people hear the Utopia for the first time on the Goldstack and they just smile big or laugh. To me they just sound "right". I am not the biggest fan of classical (in the sense that it is not my first pick for enjoyment) but I really enjoy classical on the Utopia's. I found that surprising that they could do that for me. They are natural sounding and neutral, but still musical.... I am a fan

Show us some pictures of the Gold stack with Utopia at MTME ...I bet people would like to see that Craig

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #3,675 of 20,614
Show us some pictures of the Gold stack with Utopia at MTME ...I bet people would like to see that Craig

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

It's our reference rig here. We run the utopia's fully balanced,dual mono out of the Gold series CMA 800R's. Cable in the picture is the Nordost Heimdall 2. Its been a staple here at MTME since late Nov. I love it!

We currently have the Chord Dave in the store for I believe another 2 weeks on loan. I want to bounce between the two to get a feel for the Dave since I know the Questyle stack more. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back