Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #331 of 20,624
I have to say... I can't wait to be rid of this cable... sheesh. Big, rubbery, thick and twists and turns into weird positions all on it's own. Very annoying and hard to to forget about being there.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #333 of 20,624

It even weighs down the headphones lol. 

As far as comfort goes, the Utopia is VERY comfortable on the head, nice evenly distributed weight. Then you have this monstrosity of the cable hanging off them. When I lift the cable off my body and hold it up in the air (so only the headphone weight is on my head) the headphones feel very light and unnoticeable.  

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #334 of 20,624

As far as comfort goes, the Utopia is VERY comfortable on the head, nice evenly distributed weight. Then you have this monstrosity of the cable hanging off them. When I lift the cable off my body and hold it up in the air (so only the headphone weight is on my head) the headphones feel very light and unnoticeable.  

Cable is definitely something they should consider reworking. too heavy and definitely detracts from the comfort. I do like the super long length though.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #335 of 20,624
Going back and listening to my HD800 & TH900 tonight and jeez... the Utopia is certainly playing not just a league above them but I'd have to say a couple leagues above them... as they should at their price tag.

It's just kind of shocking. I have had those both those headphones for quite a long time and felt like I was listening to headphones at the top level. Like I said... it's not like they are bad headphones at all, it's just the Utopia is just that much higher on the totem pole, lol. The technological innovations that Focal put into the Utopia are certainly making their presence felt.

Utopia vs. HD800:

The Utopia makes the HD800 sound like a very unnatural sounding headphone. HD800 bass is anemic sounding in comparison whereas the Utopia has the natural sounding bass of the source track and adds nothing more to it. If I play my thumping hip-hop and EDM tracks on the HD800, I sit there and wonder where all the bass has gone? The Utopia on the other hand still provides me with a nice clean, well controlled sounding bass that leaves me satisfied. If there was a touch more bass on the Utopia it would be great, but who knows, that might cause negatives in other areas of the sound. The Utopia sound signature as-is sounds very good to me.

Another way the Utopia makes the HD800 sound unnatural is presentation. HD800 definitely throws a wider (way out from the left and right ears) stage. But is that really preferable? The HD800 has a really interesting presentation because everything is so spread out and separated. But it is not natural sounding. Yes, certainly it makes me smile and think that is really cool how it does that to the music, but afterwards all I can think about is that the music does not actually sound like that. With the wider soundstage, instruments in the music are much more distant and as a result I cannot hear them as loud and as detailed as I can on the Utopia. If I try and focus on the instruments, I lose focus on the vocals in the track, everything is a little too separated.

So overall my impression is that the Utopia is more detailed, clear and natural sounding than the HD800 and doesn't suffer from the bass deficiency that the HD800 does. Basically it can give you most of the goodness that an HD800 can (minus the ultra wide (IMO unnatural) soundstage) and plenty of bass as well to keep bass lovers happy.

Utopia vs. TH-900

They are VERY different sounding headphones. The HD800 and Utopia definitely share more similarities. The TH-900 has a very V-shaped signature whereas the Utopia signature is very balanced. My TH-900 is Lawton modded (Ebony cups, with internal foam tuning kit) and this helps tame the fatiguing treble of the stock TH-900. When I first put on the TH-900 and began listening I was a bit taken aback. It really requires an adjustment period when listening to such totally different sounding headphones. The bass of the TH-900 was a bit overpowering at first. It definitely is a FUN headphone for sure. That fun signature is great with EDM and hip-hop music but I was definitely feeling a lack of clarity in the mid-region. After listening to the Utopia, everything else seems to sound less clear somehow, lol. Even for EDM and hip-hop I think the Utopia may have become my preferred listen. It can't reach down as low and slam my ear drums like the TH-900 can, but everything else the Utopia does makes up for it by far. And the thing is, the Utopia has enough bass to keep me satisfied. A touch more might be nice, but perfectly happy with it as is. I can still see myself listening to the TH-900 though, when I am in that fun mood 
basshead.gif

---

So yeah, Utopia is a damn good headphone and a great listen in STOCK form. It is easy to drive and doesn't require modifications in order to overcome flaws of the headphones (had to Lawton mod my TH-900, my HD800 is stock but many people have been modding those as well to tackle the treble spike and are spending crap tons of money looking for an elusive perfect amp pairing).

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #336 of 20,624
Interesting review and analysis. I wonder if the S version of 800 makes up any of the gap, but the essence probably holds true. Congrats on getting utopia.
I do beleive that efficient hp like la900 and utopia get some relitive bonus marks for easy to drive.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #337 of 20,624

Yeah, it looks like some sort of esoteric audiophile interconnect. But it may be legitimately heavy gauge wire and shielding. Don't know-havent seen one cross sectioned yet. It sure is a beast to handle however.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #338 of 20,624
Going back and listening to my HD800 & TH900 tonight and jeez... the Utopia is certainly playing not just a league above them but I'd have to say a couple leagues above them... as they should at their price tag.

It's just kind of shocking. I have had those both those headphones for quite a long time and felt like I was listening to headphones at the top level. Like I said... it's not like they are bad headphones at all, it's just the Utopia is just that much higher on the totem pole, lol. The technological innovations that Focal put into the Utopia are certainly making their presence felt.

Utopia vs. HD800:

The Utopia makes the HD800 sound like a very unnatural sounding headphone. HD800 bass is anemic sounding in comparison whereas the Utopia has the natural sounding bass of the source track and adds nothing more to it. If I play my thumping hip-hop and EDM tracks on the HD800, I sit there and wonder where all the bass has gone? The Utopia on the other hand still provides me with a nice clean, well controlled sounding bass that leaves me satisfied. If there was a touch more bass on the Utopia it would be great, but who knows, that might cause negatives in other areas of the sound. The Utopia sound signature as-is sounds very good to me.

Another way the Utopia makes the HD800 sound unnatural is presentation. HD800 definitely throws a wider (way out from the left and right ears) stage. But is that really preferable? The HD800 has a really interesting presentation because everything is so spread out and separated. But it is not natural sounding. Yes, certainly it makes me smile and think that is really cool how it does that to the music, but afterwards all I can think about is that the music does not actually sound like that. With the wider soundstage, instruments in the music are much more distant and as a result I cannot hear them as loud and as detailed as I can on the Utopia. If I try and focus on the instruments, I lose focus on the vocals in the track, everything is a little too separated.

So overall my impression is that the Utopia is more detailed, clear and natural sounding than the HD800 and doesn't suffer from the bass deficiency that the HD800 does. Basically it can give you most of the goodness that an HD800 can (minus the ultra wide (IMO unnatural) soundstage) and plenty of bass as well to keep bass lovers happy.

Utopia vs. TH-900

They are VERY different sounding headphones. The HD800 and Utopia definitely share more similarities. The TH-900 has a very V-shaped signature whereas the Utopia signature is very balanced. My TH-900 is Lawton modded (Ebony cups, with internal foam tuning kit) and this helps tame the fatiguing treble of the stock TH-900. When I first put on the TH-900 and began listening I was a bit taken aback. It really requires an adjustment period when listening to such totally different sounding headphones. The bass of the TH-900 was a bit overpowering at first. It definitely is a FUN headphone for sure. That fun signature is great with EDM and hip-hop music but I was definitely feeling a lack of clarity in the mid-region. After listening to the Utopia, everything else seems to sound less clear somehow, lol. Even for EDM and hip-hop I think the Utopia may have become my preferred listen. It can't reach down as low and slam my ear drums like the TH-900 can, but everything else the Utopia does makes up for it by far. And the thing is, the Utopia has enough bass to keep me satisfied. A touch more might be nice, but perfectly happy with it as is. I can still see myself listening to the TH-900 though, when I am in that fun mood :basshead:

---

So yeah, Utopia is a damn good headphone and a great listen in STOCK form. It is easy to drive and doesn't require modifications in order to overcome flaws of the headphones (had to Lawton mod my TH-900, my HD800 is stock but many people have been modding those as well to tackle the treble spike and are spending crap tons of money looking for an elusive perfect amp pairing).

Great write up. Certainly helps put the utopia and HD800 into perspective. Now all you need to do is spend as much money as the HD800 costs on a new cable for the utopia, and you will have the perfect headphone! :)

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #340 of 20,624
Sep 12, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #341 of 20,624

Utopia vs. HD800:

Utopia vs. TH-900

They are VERY different sounding headphones. The HD800 and Utopia definitely share more similarities. The TH-900 has a very V-shaped signature whereas the Utopia signature is very balanced. My TH-900 is Lawton modded (Ebony cups, with internal foam tuning kit) and this helps tame the fatiguing treble of the stock TH-900. When I first put on the TH-900 and began listening I was a bit taken aback. It really requires an adjustment period when listening to such totally different sounding headphones. The bass of the TH-900 was a bit overpowering at first. It definitely is a FUN headphone for sure. That fun signature is great with EDM and hip-hop music but I was definitely feeling a lack of clarity in the mid-region. After listening to the Utopia, everything else seems to sound less clear somehow, lol. Even for EDM and hip-hop I think the Utopia may have become my preferred listen. It can't reach down as low and slam my ear drums like the TH-900 can, but everything else the Utopia does makes up for it by far. And the thing is, the Utopia has enough bass to keep me satisfied. A touch more might be nice, but perfectly happy with it as is. I can still see myself listening to the TH-900 though, when I am in that fun mood 
basshead.gif

---

I just received my Utopia over the weekend and have not had nearly enough time to listen, but did break them in for 50 hours.  Since I have both the aforementioned headphones as well, I have to say that the above impressions of the TH900 and HD800 are spot on.  I was actually asking myself similar questions about the naturalness of the HD800 soundstage.  Thanks for sharing!

I will draft up some more impressions once I get them fully burned, but so far I am as impressed as everyone else in this thread.  The overall tonal balance cannot be overstated enough!  I am taken aback at how I find myself incapable of analyzing the three separate frequencies of bass, mids, and treble as they truly blend together as a cohesive whole.  This is definitely something that has been missing in my headphone life.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #342 of 20,624

I just received my Utopia over the weekend and have not had nearly enough time to listen, but did break them in for 50 hours.  Since I have both the aforementioned headphones as well, I have to say that the above impressions of the TH900 and HD800 are spot on.  I was actually asking myself similar questions about the naturalness of the HD800 soundstage.  Thanks for sharing!

I will draft up some more impressions once I get them fully burned, but so far I am as impressed as everyone else in this thread.  The overall tonal balance cannot be overstated enough!  I am taken aback at how I find myself incapable of analyzing the three separate frequencies of bass, mids, and treble as they truly blend together as a cohesive whole.  This is definitely something that has been missing in my headphone life.

So what amp and DAC are using since you are selling the Hugo and Crimson?

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #343 of 20,624
So what amp and DAC are using since you are selling the Hugo and Crimson?

I am going to take MacedonianHero's advice and get myself a Chord Hugo TT with the funds from the above sales. It will squeeze even more detail out of the Utopia and sufficiently drive them with ease. I have to assume that if I love the sound of the Hugo, the Hugo TT should sound even better, albeit marginal.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #344 of 20,624
Interesting review and analysis. I wonder if the S version of 800 makes up any of the gap, but the essence probably holds true. Congrats on getting utopia.
I do beleive that efficient hp like la900 and utopia get some relitive bonus marks for easy to drive.

I prefer the HD800S quite a bit over the HD800...but no, it doesn't close the gap by much (maybe a little) to my ears. I still love my HD800S headphones and they aren't going anywhere...but the "king of standard dynamic driver headphones" has been usurped by the Utopias to my ears.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #345 of 20,624
I am going to take MacedonianHero's advice and get myself a Chord Hugo TT with the funds from the above sales. It will squeeze even more detail out of the Utopia and sufficiently drive them with ease. I have to assume that if I love the sound of the Hugo, the Hugo TT should sound even better, albeit marginal.

You should be quite happy...and the differences are quite a bit more than you'd think. The Hugo was revolutionary when released because it was one of the first portable amp/DACs released that competed with (and bested) many full sized setups. But in the end, I found it suffered from "digititus" and could come off a bit thin and on the brighter side of things. The TT is quite a bit more natural and "real" sounding. Not like my (now sold) Metrum HEX NOS DAC laid back (which could be a bit too laid back); I find the TT hits the nail on the head in between the two (Hex and Hugo) in terms of balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back