Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 8, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #3,421 of 20,635
Maybe try a different setup if you want a bigger soundstage.

Chord Dave + Auralic Taurus MKII (with high-end interconnects) with the HD 650 has a bigger soundstage than the HD 800 quite suprisingly if the HD 800 is on a lesser setup.

But I never do that with the Utopia as it is too good at revealing the lower resolution when adding things to the chain and thus the bigger soundstage comes with a compromise. The HD 650 doesn't get affected that much so that is why I have no problem doing that with the HD 650.
You are saying that somehow the Taurus doesn't have the resolution as an amp, or reduces resolution from the Dave?

May 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #3,422 of 20,635
How does Utopia's frequency curve differ from the HE-6?

You can check out the actual frequency response graphs at Innerfidelity:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalUtopia.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE6.pdf

In terms balance I find the most important differences to be in the mids/highs.
I'm a HE6 fan and find the mids very good but the Utopia's mids are quite obviously more rounded and realistic - just wonderful on voices, piano and all manner of acoustic instruments. The Utopias superior clarity, finesse and quickness seals this advantage - though in isolation the HE6 is very good in those metrics as well.
The HE6 has a tad too much energy in the highs - which equipment choice and mods can ameliorate - but regardless, it doesn't sound as well balanced as the Utopia to me.
Don't get me wrong, I can listen to HE6 and really enjoy the music so this is more of a comparative thing than serious overt problems with the HE6.
Perspective wise the HE6 is less up front than the Utopia (probably due to the different mid balance) and stages a bit wider.
The HE6 is more extended in the deep bass - which can be nice on hip-hop, electronic etc - though the Utopia has excellent extension too and sounds faster in the bass.

May 8, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #3,423 of 20,635
Still enjoying my Utopia. Has officially replaced my Abyss...

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #3,425 of 20,635
Maybe try a different setup if you want a bigger soundstage.

Chord Dave + Auralic Taurus MKII (with high-end interconnects) with the HD 650 has a bigger soundstage than the HD 800 quite suprisingly if the HD 800 is on a lesser setup.

But I never do that with the Utopia as it is too good at revealing the lower resolution when adding things to the chain and thus the bigger soundstage comes with a compromise. The HD 650 doesn't get affected that much so that is why I have no problem doing that with the HD 650.

Very good point. I was quite happy with the sound stage but then introduced the KTE SU-1 + KTE Spring DAC Level 3 into the mix and the sound stage really kicked up a level. No, it's not HD800S wide (but really, what is?), but it's on par with many other fantastic TOTL headphones. I'm finding the Utopias are quite revealing of your source/DAC; don't just focus on your amplifier with these headphones. I find the SR-009s very similar that way.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #3,426 of 20,635
Well Bob Katz certainly took the biggest schiit he could on Utopia with his "expert" LCD4 comparison. I can't say I'm surprised, given how biased he is in favor of a warm, wet sound.

May 9, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #3,427 of 20,635
Well Bob Katz certainly took the biggest schiit he could on Utopia with his "expert" LCD4 comparison. I can't say I'm surprised, given how biased he is in favor of a warm, wet sound.
Are you friggin kidding? You need to read about the whole thing on innerfidelity. It's quite possible the utopias were either defective, of focal retuned them.

May 9, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #3,428 of 20,635
The more insidious possibility is that Focal, knowing Tyll dislikes brighter balanced headphones, supplied him wirh a specially tuned version to secure a positive review/launch.
Maybe all the other Utopias measure like the other 2 measured examples in the arrticle(?).

May 9, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,430 of 20,635
To my ears, the brilliance of Utopia is its tolerance of less than ideal upstream gear. Out of a Rag/Yggy stack it is of course better than a Magni/Modi stack, but the latter sounds great, whereas HD800 sounds only acceptable, and then only if you've installed Sonarworks.
I find the utopia is very fussy with recordings, it highlights how bad some of my music sounds through them

May 9, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #3,431 of 20,635
I find the utopia is very fussy with recordings, it highlights how bad some of my music sounds through them
If you have a bad sources then sure, Utopia wouldn't be so forgiving. I connect Utopia to an iPad to stream Netflix, and then I can see how disgusting the output is on the iPad , but why in the hell would I complain though ? I appreciate Utopia being this way, so easy to drive out of anything

May 9, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3,432 of 20,635
If you have a bad sources then sure, Utopia wouldn't be so forgiving. I connect Utopia to an iPad to stream Netflix, and then I can see how disgusting the output is on the iPad , but why in the hell would I complain though ? I appreciate Utopia being this way, so easy to drive out of anything
I find my stax SR L 700 was the same, hated bad recordings... Focal utopia speakers are the same so easy to drive but love a high quality signal

May 9, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,434 of 20,635
Still enjoying my Utopia. Has officially replaced my Abyss...

What swayed you away from the Abyss? Just not getting much headtime in comparison to the Utopia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back