Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,191 of 20,602
Hi any Gsx mk2 user with utopia here? I saw a reply long ago saying that low gain is more suitable for utopia , and seems like I found out the same. Any thoughts or comments? I'm using emm labs dac2x for dac. Thank you.

I would really like to know the same. I am debating whether to:

Remain exclusively with the Utopias and Mojo/Hugo2

or

add an additional second option and have an amplifier, such as the GSX, connected to my two channel system so that I can use my other DAC and turntable.

The Focal designer felt strongly about the GSX and walked me over to their booth during CanJam. . I had a demo and was rather impressed however it was under show conditions

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,192 of 20,602
 Quote:

Hi any Gsx mk2 user with utopia here? I saw a reply long ago saying that low gain is more suitable for utopia , and seems like I found out the same. Any thoughts or comments? I'm using emm labs dac2x for dac. Thank you.

I using my GS-X mk2 to drive the Utopia (loaner) set to Lo gain and find it to the best match as well.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,193 of 20,602

or

add an additional second option and have an amplifier, such as the GSX, connected to my two channel system so that I can use my other DAC and turntable.

The Focal designer felt strongly about the GSX and walked me over to their booth during CanJam. . I had a demo and was rather impressed however it was under show conditions

I use the Utopia with the LAu which is similar to Dark Star and GSX, i run mine on high gain, but low volume, as the cans are easy to drive. Tried  the low gain but i like the sound of high gain better.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,194 of 20,602
Mrs getting her compo for whiplash so Nordost heimdall 2 headphone cable gonna be on order,told her roof needs doing as we keep getting leaks,pour a bit of water on carpet every morning she ain't the wiser,things we do for hi-fi, could be worse I could be cheating on her

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #2,195 of 20,602
Mrs getting her compo for whiplash so Nordost heimdall 2 headphone cable gonna be on order,told her roof needs doing as we keep getting leaks,pour a bit of water on carpet every morning she ain't the wiser,things we do for hi-fi, could be worse I could be cheating on her

Sounds like you already are :)

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,196 of 20,602
I found that the Utopia fit in my about three year old LCD-3F case if you slightly bend the headband (its easily bendable), but I'm not sure that its good for the Utopia to do so.

I have not bothered to try my LCD-4 case as it now holds my LCD-4 most of the time!!!!

I would like my utopias to fit a little tighter. Anyone know if it's ok to bend/compress the headband? If not, is there a safe way for the headphone to fit a little tighter?

All this talk of bending the headband just to fit it into a case sounds like an unnecessary bit of risk to subject the headphones to. Is getting a slightly larger case that much of a problem?

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #2,197 of 20,602
I wonder f that
All this talk of bending the headband just to fit it into a case sounds like an unnecessary bit of risk to subject the headphones to. Is getting a slightly larger case that much of a problem?

I wonder if compressing or expanding the headband too much or too often could damage the leather wrap?

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,199 of 20,602

​WOW. I hope the future divorce lawyers don't find this evidence of deception and cheating.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2,200 of 20,602
Dude! You're a riot! :laughing:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 16, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #2,201 of 20,602
I found that the Utopia fit in my about three year old LCD-3F case if you slightly bend the headband (its easily bendable), but I'm not sure that its good for the Utopia to do so.

I have not bothered to try my LCD-4 case as it now holds my LCD-4 most of the time!!!!

I would like my utopias to fit a little tighter. Anyone know if it's ok to bend/compress the headband? If not, is there a safe way for the headphone to fit a little tighter?

I'm eating as much chocolate as I can in order to make my head bigger so my utopias fit better!

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,202 of 20,602

Just make sure you're not trying to bend the carbon fiber part of the headband. It's very thin compared to some of the carbon fiber bicycle parts I've seen fail.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,204 of 20,602
  Just make sure you're not trying to bend the carbon fiber part of the headband. It's very thin compared to some of the carbon fiber bicycle parts I've seen fail.

No, it is the central band that sits on top of your head that easily bends, not the c/f HP yokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back