Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 3, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,116 of 20,624
I have just ordered a GS-X Mk2 and Focal Utopia headphones. Auditioned the combination for over two hours with no fatigue or discomfort. Despite reports from some that the combination is bright I found it to be extremely transparent to both the source and the recording. I wouldn't have it any other way. Will post photos once it arrives and is set up.

I'm listening to this combination right now. Let's look at the FR responses for both shall we? 

Utopia:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalUtopia.pdf

Certainly not a bright headphone...have a look at how the treble is shifted / pushed back from 3kHz and higher...no 6kHz peak like the cough...cough...HD800. 
wink.gif
 Or extreme peaks like the Grado 325is. To my ears (and the measurements bare this out) a very well extended treble that is very much in proportion to the remaining frequencies in the audible spectrum.

Now the GS-X Mk2:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf

Absolutely dead flat FR response from 10Hz all the way up to an insane 100 000 (my hearing stops at about 18.5kHz...not bad for almost 45 years old). Distortion (%THD+N 1kHz) for headphones between 32 ohms - 150 ohms is between a low, low 0.0007 and 0.0008. So nothing "bright" there...just very low distortion an almost zero ohm output impedance for more than sufficient damping factor and gobs of power (almost 6W on hand) to drive almost anything you can throw at it and never have it break a sweat.

Now, both units are ruthlessly revealing of your upstream source (DAC, CD player, whatever you are feeding them) and your source music...so garbage in = garbage out in this case. 

I'm using the very impressive Benchmark DAC3HGC to feed my GS-X Mk2 / Utopias right now and I am floored by the level of absolute clarity and transparency. Feed this setup properly and it will reward you for years to come! Congrats! 
smile.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,117 of 20,624
I have just ordered a GS-X Mk2 and Focal Utopia headphones. Auditioned the combination for over two hours with no fatigue or discomfort. Despite reports from some that the combination is bright I found it to be extremely transparent to both the source and the recording. I wouldn't have it any other way. Will post photos once it arrives and is set up.

Some people also think anything brighter than LCD2's or HD650's are "bright"...  You have a top flight amp and pair of headphones there: enjoy 'em because if they aren't good enough, not much is!

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,118 of 20,624

Some people also think anything brighter than LCD2's or HD650's are "bright"...  You have a top flight amp and pair of headphones there: enjoy 'em because if they aren't good enough, not much is!

Paul makes a very excellent point here too...there's always one's preferences to consider. If that's the case, then all bets are off my previous post. 
redface.gif
 Then I'd recommend a great pair of Elears...loved them and for the price were a steal IMO.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #2,119 of 20,624
I'm listening to this combination right now. Let's look at the FR responses for both shall we? 

Utopia:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalUtopia.pdf

Certainly not a bright headphone...have a look at how the treble is shifted / pushed back from 3kHz and higher...no 6kHz peak like the cough...cough...HD800. :wink:  Or extreme peaks like the Grado 325is. To my ears (and the measurements bare this out) a very well extended treble that is very much in proportion to the remaining frequencies in the audible spectrum.

Now the GS-X Mk2:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf

Absolutely dead flat FR response from 10Hz all the way up to an insane 100 000 (my hearing stops at about 18.5kHz...not bad for almost 45 years old). Distortion (%THD+N 1kHz) for headphones between 32 ohms - 150 ohms is between a low, low 0.0007 and 0.0008. So nothing "bright" there...just very low distortion an almost zero ohm output impedance for more than sufficient damping factor and gobs of power (almost 6W on hand) to drive almost anything you can throw at it and never have it break a sweat.

Now, both units are ruthlessly revealing of your upstream source (DAC, CD player, whatever you are feeding them) and your source music...so garbage in = garbage out in this case. 

I'm using the very impressive Benchmark DAC3HGC to feed my GS-X Mk2 / Utopias right now and I am floored by the level of absolute clarity and transparency. Feed this setup properly and it will reward you for years to come! Congrats! :smile:

Thank you for those kind words and rationale behind the GS-X Mk2/Utopia pairing.

I will be using my long standing reference, the MSB Technology Signature DAC IV Plus with the soon to be available Roon-compatible Network Renderer, as my digital source.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #2,120 of 20,624

Thanks, Paulie.

I had previously auditioned the LCD3 and LCD4 (with a 430HA) and liked what I was hearing in terms of drive and slam but was less than satisfied with transient purity and transparency through the upper midrange. The comfort factor was quite low after 45 minutes also (heavy, hot throbbing ears, pressure point on top of my head).

I also tried the HE1000 and while it sounded pleasant enough it lacked a sense of life, articulation, and acoustic drive. I also wasn't keen on the build quality.

I listened to HD800S and found it rather distant sounding with little in the way of bass foundation. To be fair I suspect the Woo Audio tube amp was holding it back in these areas. Couldn't complain about the comfort though.

Can't wait to get back into music listening after many long months with no room for my big two channel speaker system. The GS-X Mk2/Utopia combination comes closest to the reference sound of my speaker system, which is really saying something since the headphone is very open by design and my speakers are sealed active units.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,121 of 20,624
Some people also think anything brighter than LCD2's or HD650's are "bright"...  

This is 100% right. After awhile people think their colored system is accurate. This seems to be more common in the headphone world, the push toward a reference seems to be lost here.

It seems to me tonal balance should be first and foremost but I digress.

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,122 of 20,624
Can someone save me from going over this entire thread again.

A list, please, of ways to carry the Utopia?  Carrying cases, cases capable of also holding a Mojo etc.  The smaller the better BUT they need to fit the Utopia perfectly and offer up significant protection.  Oh - and with cables attached - don't want to remove them

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #2,123 of 20,624

A list, please, of ways to carry the Utopia?  Carrying cases, cases capable of also holding a Mojo etc.  The smaller the better BUT they need to fit the Utopia perfectly and offer up significant protection.  Oh - and with cables attached - don't want to remove them

There is not going to be a standard for what you want. I think what would work is a form of Pelican case with you picking the foam for your best comfort level.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2,124 of 20,624
Not too familiar with Pelican cases however I have seen them mentioned quite frequently.  Are there standard sizes for headphones?  Custom designs?  How exactly do they work and where do you buy them from?

Thanks

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #2,126 of 20,624
You can get one with a generic foam and cut your own shape.

no way in hell i ever travel with these. i'm worried about dropping them at my desk station! those beryllium drivers break and you're gonna need to evacuate and call a hazmat team. getting crushed by the airport baggage process? you'll be on CNN real quick... ;-P

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #2,127 of 20,624
I'm just looking for a small case to take for carry on or in a backpack

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #2,128 of 20,624

That would be professional audio engineers or anyone that has the ability to compare a headphone against the original audio file instead of another headphone!

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #2,129 of 20,624

Have you looked the gator case with 9 inches?
They're pretty good and can carry headphones and accessories.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2,130 of 20,624
Have you looked the gator case with 9 inches?
They're pretty good and can carry headphones and accessories.

I am a bit confused - do you have a link you can provide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back