Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 18, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #18,601 of 20,624
I am not sure this is correct. Looking at the marketing blurb it seems to suggest the voice coil is just for reliability and the change in grille shape is for sound (emphasis mine):
No it is both—they wrote, “Focal engineers have also developed a copper and aluminium voice coil for a revamped sound signature and incredible reliability.”

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #18,602 of 20,624
No it is both— it clearly says, “Focal engineers have also developed a copper and aluminium voice coil for a revamped sound signature and incredible reliability.”
Interesting. The dealer sites I checked out have a different blurb than the official website and this wasn't mentioned in the leaked version. This could just have been an omission but my gut tells me they added it so it didn't appear like the voice coil was just about reliability. A change in material absolutely could affect the sound, and looking at the comparison of the frequency responses it isn't exactly night and day anyway... but I have my doubts. The version on their site smells more like marketing speak than reality. Not that it matters to the actual 2022 product itself as its a whole package, but it certainly matters when it comes to replacement drivers/voice coils for the OG. Sadly I doubt we'll be able to confirm this in any way.
Edit: yeah they nixed the whole section on reliability issues and compressed it into their statement about "revamped sound signature and incredible reliability". I don't think this is true about the voice coil itself, otherwise the leaked copy and what went out to dealers wouldn't have said what ti said.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #18,603 of 20,624
So is the assumption that Utopia "OG" owners would be given Newtopia drivers in their Utopia OG chassis in the event of a post-2022 driver failure? Inquiring minds want to know.
We had Canjam for such questions only but not sure if anyone even asked

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #18,605 of 20,624
I couldn't understand her due to accent...I literally understood a hand full of words she said, and also noticed the Moon team looked like they were having the same issue I was.
Really? I found her easy to understand.

Interesting about the different sound signatures. I actually use the Elex pads on my 2016 Utopias, which have a slightly smoother and more balanced sound to my ears in my setup.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #18,606 of 20,624
Really? I found her easy to understand.

Interesting about the different sound signatures. I actually use the Elex pads on my 2016 Utopias, which have a slightly smoother and more balanced sound to my ears in my setup.
Yes, really. Had a very hard time understanding her.
Never felt the need to swap pads being my Utopia already sounds smooth on my system.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #18,607 of 20,624
Never felt the need to swap pads being my Utopia already sounds smooth on my system.
Yeah I was happy with the stock leather pads - but mine got the sticky breakdown on the inside surface, so I bought the Elex pads as temporary replacements and found I preferred the sound.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #18,610 of 20,624
Goop appeared just months after i relocated from cold Scandinavia to scorching hot Missouri, so would guess it has to do with temperatures.

So using Elex pads exclusively now, did couple of comparison with goop infested pads once i cleaned them up a bit.

Elex pads just win over me unless playing from tube-amp, sound is heftier, vocals more spotlighted, lower treble easier, bass amount and kick raised, quite surprising how much Utopia can push bass and kick with those pads.

OG pads are leaner,airier and sharper more refined "hifi" sound but less fun and bit more fatigue for my ears.

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #18,611 of 20,624
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #18,612 of 20,624
I couldn't understand her due to accent...I literally understood a hand full of words she said, and also noticed the Moon team looked like they were having the same issue I was.

Did you try the closed caption feature on Youtube? Seems to pick up the French accent fine.

5E5D1F3D-F42E-4011-9BA3-7E6254AEA105.jpeg

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #18,613 of 20,624
No goo or failure here. Going strong since 2018!

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #18,614 of 20,624
No goo or failure here. Going strong since 2018!
I have not had an issue either, mine may be from 2019 or so. A Danacable was given to me and I generally use that.

The headphone impedance is perfect for an amp I designed, without mentioning other brands, the Utopias really opened up the top end on my amp. With other headphones it was like having a glass ceiling in place.😉

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #18,615 of 20,624
I have not had an issue either, mine may be from 2019 or so. A Danacable was given to me and I generally use that.

The headphone impedance is perfect for an amp I designed, without mentioning other brands, the Utopias really opened up the top end on my amp. With other headphones it was like having a glass ceiling in place.😉

Just curious where you ended up on the impedance? Conventional 1/8 or some elaborate frequency dependent matching+optimization scheme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back