Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #18,421 of 20,624
The more I look at the new Utopia, the more I think it is the most attractive headphone I have ever seen. I generally love the design of their headphones aesthetically, and the new Utopia captures the spirit of the original while incorporating the recent refinements and toning down the "weow! race car inspired!"

Things that would get me extra excited about the new Utopia and cause me to potentially blind buy it:

1. If the weight is listed as 450 grams or less.

2. If the new stock cable gets decent reviews, as in better than "just acceptable." I generally prefer fabric-feel cables but rubber can be fine too. The length is good and I would really prefer not having to buy an additional aftermarket since all of the ones I have are 3.5 mm.

3. If the "more linear sound" description applies to the bass, too, not just the treble. If they can get the bass to go just a little bit deeper before rolling off to better compete with planars (not expecting any miracles here, just an improvement), that would be magical.
If they can figure out how to extend the sub-bass more linearly without impeding the mids or treble detail then I'll buy. AGAIN. Otherwise, just WHY?

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #18,423 of 20,624
Maybe people should stop using amplifiers with the Focal Utopia? I honestly have not experienced any reliability issues, but then again, I only used straight out of a Chord Dave and not a Fusion reactor.

Even my 16” M1 Max MacBook Pro ”drives” the Focal Utopia just fine. Yes, just a laptop.
I've been using both, my GS-Xmk2 and WA33 (as well as my Citadel Custom when I owed it) and have had zero issues with my 2018 Utopia which I purchased new.

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #18,425 of 20,624
51EC9D3D-58AF-4A3B-9E4A-7B128A55CC50.gif

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #18,426 of 20,624
Is there Anyone who had their driver's replaced out of warranty who can share how much that cost? Thanks!

The repair required a matching pair of transducers even though only one driver had failed. In Singapore it cost a few dollars less than 60% of the original purchase price. So if you translate that to your currency you'll know that its VERY expensive to repair. Almost not worth it. However, the repairer saw me thinking it over and offered that they have fixed the driver issues (that was 4 or so years ago now) so the repair should last. To his credit I think he was right as I have had no problems in that 4 or more year gap since repairing.

Regards
GG

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #18,427 of 20,624
The repair required a matching pair of transducers even though only one driver had failed. In Singapore it cost a few dollars less than 60% of the original purchase price. So if you translate that to your currency you'll know that its VERY expensive to repair. Almost not worth it. However, the repairer saw me thinking it over and offered that they have fixed the driver issues (that was 4 or so years ago now) so the repair should last. To his credit I think he was right as I have had no problems in that 4 or more year gap since repairing.

Regards
GG
Unfortunate that you had to repair in the short window where the warranty was only 1 year (or maybe 2?) instead of the 5. I had given up on my utopias which failed right after my initial warranty had expired. It was a disappointing paperweight for years until on a lark I discovered that Focal had extended their warranty. Over the pandemic I actually returned them twice for driver replacements, as the first replacement set became defective within a few months. Both times Focal covered the repair as well as return shipping. I have only the highest regard for their warranty system.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #18,428 of 20,624
Unfortunate that you had to repair in the short window where the warranty was only 1 year (or maybe 2?) instead of the 5. I had given up on my utopias which failed right after my initial warranty had expired. It was a disappointing paperweight for years until on a lark I discovered that Focal had extended their warranty. Over the pandemic I actually returned them twice for driver replacements, as the first replacement set became defective within a few months. Both times Focal covered the repair as well as return shipping. I have only the highest regard for their warranty system.
So basically your Utopias died 3 times? Holy crap.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #18,429 of 20,624

Regards
GG
I wonder when and what the fix was

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #18,430 of 20,624
He's on the third set of drivers, but only two have failed.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #18,431 of 20,624
What should we actually call him?

NOMAX

PS.so I call him Turbo Utopia 😎

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #18,432 of 20,624
I was an early adopter and guessing my utopia was part of the batch with improperly glued voice-coils. I suspect the initial driver replacement was faulty (distortion in the bass). Currently on my 3rd set of drivers, as someone else has mentioned.

I will say though, my opinion is the current iteration of the utopia's drivers is much better than when I initially purchased it. I say this hesitantly, as aural memory isn't all that reliable.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #18,433 of 20,624
I was an early adopter and guessing my utopia was part of the batch with improperly glued voice-coils. I suspect the initial driver replacement was faulty (distortion in the bass). Currently on my 3rd set of drivers, as someone else has mentioned.

I will say though, my opinion is the current iteration of the utopia's drivers is much better than when I initially purchased it. I say this hesitantly, as aural memory isn't all that reliable.
Same here, 2016.
1 more failure than yours.
They replaced and shipped back to me 1 month before 5 years expiration date....
You know why Utopia 2 needs to wait another 2 years from users impressions first before making decision again.

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #18,434 of 20,624
while i can appreciate your perspective (you've been extraordinarily unlucky), i have little doubt that there are many utopia owners who haven't had a problem with their units. i look forward to reading impressions of the new utopia model and comparisons with the og utopia in the near future.

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #18,435 of 20,624
I think today is a good day to really step on the gas to ignite the turbo to have fun with this song/remix 😎

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back