Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 30, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #18,121 of 20,582
I was just at a headphone show where I heard from the organizer (who sells Focal), that they will be releasing a new flagship headphone to replace (or at least supplant as flagship) the Utopia, in September 2022!!

Apparently demo models will be sent to him a few weeks. Has anyone heard of this (or maybe this is old news and I've been living under a rock?) He also said the price will likely be higher, maybe $5000.

Not naming the headphone show or the person for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #18,122 of 20,582
^ baseless speculation about the next iteration of the utopia has abounded here for years. your post is the first i've seen that actually appears credible.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #18,123 of 20,582
I was just at a headphone show where I head from the organizer (who sells Focal), that they will be releasing a new flagship headphone to replace (or at least supplant as flagship) the Utopia, in September 2022!!

Apparently demo models will be sent to him a few weeks. Has anyone heard of this (or maybe this is old news and I've been living under a rock?) He also said the price will likely be higher, maybe $5000.

This is strange that if they’ll sell a new model in 1 or 2 months it hasn’t been presented at any show or hifi event (and there has been lots of recently) and that there’s no other leaks likes pics or specs than a potential price (but here it’s surely easier to keep secrets than with new iPhones by example by making their highends products in France in their factory rather than in China in huge factories …). So why not, and this time this is a rather close date so let’s wait and see … 😄

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #18,124 of 20,582
I was just at a headphone show where I heard from the organizer (who sells Focal), that they will be releasing a new flagship headphone to replace (or at least supplant as flagship) the Utopia, in September 2022!!

Now that some high end models from other companies have gone significantly above the Utopia in terms of pricing it would make sense for Focal to produce something even more expensive than the Utopia. Curious to hear what it will sound like.

Jul 30, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #18,125 of 20,582
Curious.

The Utopia still very much compete at summit-fi level in terms of dynamic drivers. Whilst the soundstage, separation and detail isn't quite the level of the top-end Planar or electrostatics, I can't think of another dynamic driver headphone that surpasses it.

As a matter of fact, I'm listening to them right now. Amazingly easy to drive. And with the right cable and source, an absolute delight. Love the connectors too.

Not everyone can/will afford to upgrade. The summit-fi price creep is definitely real.

I am reminded of Focal Clear vs Focal Clear Mg ... at this level it often comes down to personal taste. YMMV.

IMG_3008.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #18,126 of 20,582
Jul 30, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #18,127 of 20,582
Jul 30, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #18,128 of 20,582
VFM is very relative here, it depends on how value is quantified and what it represents for the buyer, it’s rather personal especially with products that can bring so much pleasure and emotions…
Too bad I can’t compare their different cables simply where I live, I’d love to …

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #18,130 of 20,582

I had a conversation with a dealer friend of mine and he also said a new Utopia is coming this year and should cost at least €5000 or more.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #18,131 of 20,582
I had a conversation with a dealer friend of mine and he also said a new Utopia is coming this year and should cost at least €5000 or more.

Yes I was just in Europe and spoke with both dealers and industry members about this.

The unofficial name that I've heard from several different people is the new flagship headphone from Focal will be called, Grand Utopia.

But please know this is all speculation at this point.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #18,132 of 20,582
Yes I was just in Europe and spoke with both dealers and industry members about this.

The unofficial name that I've heard from several different people is the new flagship from Focal will be called the Grand Utopia.

But please know this is all speculation at this point.
Thanks for the info, Grand Utopia makes perfect sense.

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #18,134 of 20,582
hmm if theres a new utopia coming then maybe they will do what they did with the clear og and drop the price to get rid of their old stocks.
I see some dealers in Austria / Germany who offer the Utopia much cheaper online now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back