Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 26, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #18,091 of 20,537
Newer don't always mean better. By example some ppl don't consider the new Clear MG as better than the OG.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #18,092 of 20,537
While it is uncertain when Focal is going to release a new flagship, it is almost certain the new headphone is likely not going to have an exact same sound signature as the Utopia. Think hd600/650/660-800, LCD2-3-4-5, Stax 007-009-009s-x9000 etc. If you like what you're hearing your that should be plenty reason to get it imo. You don't often hear people clamoring for an upgraded Susvara even though they are released just a year after the Utopia.
I expect a new Susvara by next year at the latest. I spoke to a dealer and he assumes that there will be a new Utopia later this year and that it will also be more expensive, at least €5000.

Of course it's all speculation, if I see a new Utopia at a very good price I'll buy it.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #18,093 of 20,537
Newer don't always mean better. By example some ppl don't consider the new Clear MG as better than the OG.
An important point.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #18,094 of 20,537
I expect a new Susvara by next year at the latest. I spoke to a dealer and he assumes that there will be a new Utopia later this year and that it will also be more expensive, at least €5000.

Of course it's all speculation, if I see a new Utopia at a very good price I'll buy it.
I got my HD800 less than a year before Sennheiser released the HD800S. I’m still happy I bought them as I like them better than the S.

i only bought my Utopias 4 months ago, I couldnt care less if they release a Utopia MK2 in 4 weeks. I’m totally happy with what I have.

Electronics don’t age well, I totally get buyers remorse there, but there‘s only so much one can tweak with TOTL physical drivers.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #18,095 of 20,537
The day Focal does release a new Utopia, my guess is it will be less than two months before someone posts about being nervous the Utopia 3 is coming.

IMO, if affordability is not an issue, buy what you want when you want and enjoy it. There’s always going to be something new coming, but vaporwear headphones are notorious for making no sound at all.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #18,096 of 20,537
I wonder how something like the FiiO K9 Pro would perform with the Utopias? Admittedly I am a pretty big FiiO fan but I have found they make very good products and their house sound is slightly on the warmer and smoother side, so it could be a good pairing for those who want a bit more warmth from their Utopias. Due to COVID I haven't had a chance to try one out and the store that sold me my Utopias didn't have one in stock, but I am very intrigued by it. I'm also not looking to sell or buy so it it's just for curiosity's sake, but it's a third of the price of the Hugo 2 and less than a quarter of the price of of the Atom HE here. I suspect there are considerable diminishing returns.
Also a big FiiO fan here. M15 drives Utopia very well. Of course that’s got an AKM, not ESS chip, so apples & oranges? Personally, I don’t much care for Hugo 2 ==> Utopia pairing.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #18,097 of 20,537
The one advantage of waiting for the new Utopia to drop is probably end up seeing more used ones listed and can get a good deal. But there have been quarterly reports on this thread about a new model coming for last 2 years. So who knows how long you’ll be waiting. If had to guess, by end of the this year.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #18,098 of 20,537
The one advantage of waiting for the new Utopia to drop is probably end up seeing more used ones listed and can get a good deal. But there have been quarterly reports on this thread about a new model coming for last 2 years. So who knows how long you’ll be waiting. If had to guess, by end of the this year.
At the beginning of this year I had the same dilemma do I buy now or wait, so in March I ordered a new set. I am glad I took the plunge because I've had hours of listening pleasure and I'm not sure I'd be happy with a used set anyway.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #18,099 of 20,537
At the beginning of this year I had the same dilemma do I buy now or wait, so in March I ordered a new set. I am glad I took the plunge because I've had hours of listening pleasure and I'm not sure I'd be happy with a used set anyway.
I’d be weary of used too on open market. But have no problem with open box from authorized Focal Dealer. I got pair at same price as used market and full 5 year warranty.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #18,102 of 20,537
Also a big FiiO fan here. M15 drives Utopia very well. Of course that’s got an AKM, not ESS chip, so apples & oranges? Personally, I don’t much care for Hugo 2 ==> Utopia pairing.
It's funny isn't it? I adore the Hugo 2/Utopia pairing and I have seen others (here and elsewhere) who similarly enjoy it, but at least as many people dislike it. It makes me surprised we don't have more large-scale psychoacoustic research studies to discover the cause of such varied preferences. At least there's plenty of choice around so people can find something that's just right for them.

But about M15/K9, the ESS 9038 has seriously tamed the fabled "Sabre Glare" so with FiiO's house tuning I wouldn't expect a world of difference. Sadly I sold my M15 because I moved to an iPhone 13 Pro Max and just couldn't cope with TWO large devices in my pocket. At the moment I have the KA3 for portable stuff which works well for my Andromedas but I am mulling up getting some other dongle DAC for the Utopia. Sadly the Questyle M15 hasn't landed in NZ yet (and may never as we don't have any decent suppliers of the brand) and the iFi Go Bar (especially the Gold version) has issues with iPhones. I could get a Mojo 2 but then I would be in nearly the same boat as a DAP with it being so chonky.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #18,103 of 20,537
It's funny isn't it? I adore the Hugo 2/Utopia pairing and I have seen others (here and elsewhere) who similarly enjoy it, but at least as many people dislike it. It makes me surprised we don't have more large-scale psychoacoustic research studies to discover the cause of such varied preferences. At least there's plenty of choice around so people can find something that's just right for them.

But about M15/K9, the ESS 9038 has seriously tamed the fabled "Sabre Glare" so with FiiO's house tuning I wouldn't expect a world of difference. Sadly I sold my M15 because I moved to an iPhone 13 Pro Max and just couldn't cope with TWO large devices in my pocket. At the moment I have the KA3 for portable stuff which works well for my Andromedas but I am mulling up getting some other dongle DAC for the Utopia. Sadly the Questyle M15 hasn't landed in NZ yet (and may never as we don't have any decent suppliers of the brand) and the iFi Go Bar (especially the Gold version) has issues with iPhones. I could get a Mojo 2 but then I would be in nearly the same boat as a DAP with it being so chonky.
I get the love of the Hugo 2 but for me, I came from the original Hugo, and that was just so musical. The Hugo 2 took some mental gymnastics for me to try and believe it was truly better. You get gobs of detail, layering, and more open soundstage, everything most people are looking for. But you trade that for some warmth and weight. But the Hugo 2 does do a great job of showing off what the Utopia is great at, detail retrieval. Think I lot of people would be impressed when hearing that combination.

I prefer to hear the bass slam and rhythm first and then go for the detail. Perhaps there are better suited headphones for my needs but I still see the Utopia usually comes up the winner in bass slam. I bought the Utopia without trying them beforehand and haven’t had a chance ti compare to latest headphones. At least with current setup, it seems to give me everything I’m looking for.

Jul 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #18,104 of 20,537
I get the love of the Hugo 2 but for me, I came from the original Hugo, and that was just so musical. The Hugo 2 took some mental gymnastics for me to try and believe it was truly better. You get gobs of detail, layering, and more open soundstage, everything most people are looking for. But you trade that for some warmth and weight. But the Hugo 2 does do a great job of showing off what the Utopia is great at, detail retrieval. Think I lot of people would be impressed when hearing that combination.

I prefer to hear the bass slam and rhythm first and then go for the detail. Perhaps there are better suited headphones for my needs but I still see the Utopia usually comes up the winner in bass slam. I bought the Utopia without trying them beforehand and haven’t had a chance ti compare to latest headphones. At least with current setup, it seems to give me everything I’m looking for.
I think you hit the nail on the head, on describing what you get with the H2. It's exactly the reason I love the combo, because I'm someone who values detail above all. It's a portable solution that can extract just about all the detail the Utopia is capable of. But I do agree that you sacrifice weight for it. I bought a tube amp for this reason, for when I'm in the mood to trade some of the transparency for weight/slam/warmth. But I still do at times use the Utopia straight out of the H2, for when I desire a serious listening session. The H2 is a fantastic DAC choice for feeding into a tube amp, because of how neutral it is. There's so much detail there that a lot will still come through. It's a fantastic, powerful little device.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #18,105 of 20,537
I got my HD800 less than a year before Sennheiser released the HD800S. I’m still happy I bought them as I like them better than the S.

i only bought my Utopias 4 months ago, I couldnt care less if they release a Utopia MK2 in 4 weeks. I’m totally happy with what I have.

Electronics don’t age well, I totally get buyers remorse there, but there‘s only so much one can tweak with TOTL physical drivers.
I completely agree. I'm 100% in favor of progress and innovation, but I honestly feel like Utopia leaves nothing to be desired. All in all, it gets it just right. I might buy a hypothetical "Utopia Evo", but more out of curiosity than any dissatisfaction with "Utopia Classic".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back