Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 11, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #18,002 of 20,689
It's a Lazuli Reference with a 4.4 Furutech termination and a graphite sheathing (i prefer it to the Reference's regular sheathing).

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #18,003 of 20,689
Listened to these in the headphone shop today, As an end game open back, I prefer this the most than he1000 v3 and LCD5. I will definitely buy these in the future. However, it had been 6 years since the first release. Although there is a package upgrade in 2020, the headphones stays the same. Any time there will be a new or updated utopia release? All other focal headphones got updated besides utopia.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #18,004 of 20,689
Listened to these in the headphone shop today, As an end game open back, I prefer this the most than he1000 v3 and LCD5. I will definitely buy these in the future. However, it had been 6 years since the first release. Although there is a package upgrade in 2020, the headphones stays the same. Any time there will be a new or updated utopia release? All other focal headphones got updated besides utopia.
There’s been no firm or official rumours about new utopias. Just flimsy and unofficial gossip or posts.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #18,005 of 20,689
Lcd-5 have very wonky tonal balance.

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #18,006 of 20,689
Lcd-5 have very wonky tonal balance.
I sort of agree with this statement. It's one of three headphones that I couldn't really enjoy until I applied EQ. The others are the Spirit Torino Radiante, DCA Ether 2. Just glacing at the Radiante's frequency response you can see that it is all over the place. Once you apply EQ and clean up the frequency response, it's one of the best sounding headphones I've heard. The Ether 2's just sounded so dark and lack any energy up top. Once you up open the top end with EQ the sound is balanced and full. It's still my favorite DCA headphone. The Utopia's outside of having an intimate soundstage sounded amazing right out of the box. Something needs to be said for that.

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #18,007 of 20,689
There’s been no firm or official rumours about new utopias. Just flimsy and unofficial gossip or posts.
I will probably buy this next year. Even though utopia sounded fantastic, there are still some areas can be improve. I wish it has a little wider soundstage, a better cable, 3.5mm termination for easy cable replacement. Then it will be almost perfect. Hope that time, they will update the new version.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #18,009 of 20,689
Thought it was the Reference Plus due to the graphite color sheathing.
Yes it’s the same look than the Plus.

I hesitated a bit between the 2 but as I didn’t saw any review of the Plus on the Utopia and with only the description on Danacable website : « added silver for more top-end treble extension », I was a bit afraid than the Plus would be a bit too hot regarding the treble for my taste.

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #18,010 of 20,689
Yes it’s the same look than the Plus.

I hesitated a bit between the 2 but as I didn’t saw any review of the Plus on the Utopia and with only the description on Danacable website : « added silver for more top-end treble extension », I was a bit afraid than the Plus would be a bit too hot regarding the treble for my taste.
I owned the Reference, and now own the Plus and the top end (in my chain) with either cable was/is not an issue. I'm running the Spring KTE DAC and WA33, so the silver is a welcome. I also use a WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse with the Utopia without top end issue.
Even when using my GS-Xmk2 with all 3 cables mentioned above I had no issues with the top end.

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #18,011 of 20,689
I owned the Reference, and now own the Plus and the top end (in my chain) with either cable was/is not an issue. I'm running the Spring KTE DAC and WA33, so the silver is a welcome. I also use a WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse with the Utopia without top end issue.
Even when using my GS-Xmk2 with all 3 cables mentioned above I had no issues with the top end.
How you compare WW to Lazuli on Utopia?

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #18,012 of 20,689
Good to know, thanks. My concern was more with the Hugo 2 which can be a bit hard combined with the Utopia.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #18,013 of 20,689
How you compare WW to Lazuli on Utopia?
To be honest, with the Reference I just didn't give it enough time and sold it prematurely because I absolutely love the WW and just couldn't stop using it. Unfortunately, the Plus is taking the same road...I've only listened to it a hand full of times with the Utopia but I did/do enjoy both DanaCables but I do need to forget I have the WW and spend much more time with the Plus to come to any comparisons. The WW is just exceptional with my system too my ears.

I also have the WWNPE for my HE1Kv2 and love the pairing. I do have Affinity Cables adapters so I can use DC with either headphone, but I just can't seem to take the Utopia off my head to do any comparisons!

Good to know, thanks. My concern was more with the Hugo 2 which can be a bit hard combined with the Utopia.
Although I have no experience with the Hugo 2, I've read similar posts.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #18,015 of 20,689

WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse is amazing with Focal HP.
These cables aren‘t for sale anymore ? I can’t find it on WireWorld website.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back