Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #16,261 of 20,596
Ah bollocks.. Just checked mine.
One side is fine. The other side, it's starting.. Sticky black substance from the padding starting to melt.
At least you discovered it fairly early! It amazes me how much technology goes into TOTL headphone drivers, and yet ear pads generally haven't improved in decades. :relaxed:

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #16,263 of 20,596
Wow, my pads are a sticky mess.. Luckily not close to the driver. So now what? Does Focal cover replacements under warranty? Or do I have spend $200 to get new pads?

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #16,264 of 20,596
At least you discovered it fairly early! It amazes me how much technology goes into TOTL headphone drivers, and yet ear pads generally haven't improved in decades. :relaxed:

Manufacturers really need to borrow the Empyrean pad rolling system.. So convenient!

@Roasty, that's too bad...how old are your pads?

I tried wiping off the goop with some baby wipes (non alcohol) and am going to stick it in the fridge for a bit.. They're about 2 plus almost 3 years old I think.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #16,266 of 20,596
20211019_074200.jpg

Managed to slowly clean off the sticky stuff. There are small shallow defects in the pad which is where the melted stuff came from. Upside is no more stickiness. Will leave the pads off for a while and see how it goes.

Reminds me of the rubberized knobs in my car which melt and become sticky if the car has been under the sun for too long, but harden and get non sticky once the air conditioning is blasting and the car cools down.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #16,267 of 20,596
How easy are the pads to pull off

i’m worried i might do some damage - eg pad comes off the clip mechanism

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #16,268 of 20,596
How easy are the pads to pull off

i’m worried i might do some damage - eg pad comes off the clip mechanism

Just grab from the inside and hook finger under the hard plastic part. They should pop out.

Think my pads might be a tosser. Got goop off the headphones but still a mess on the pads. And then don’t want to get more goop back on headphones. And one pad, looks like plastic is just disintegrating. Ordered new pads from headphones.com

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #16,270 of 20,596
Yes - curious as well
Are goopy pads considered a warranty replacement? I am in the States

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #16,271 of 20,596
Good thing I checked but now I can’t listen to my headphones for a few days until I get the new pads. If pads are covered in warranty, might keep set I ordered as backup. But not sure how you get stickiness off the pads themselves.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #16,273 of 20,596
Funny, it seems no one is talking to their dealers about goop pad warranty replacement (including me). Everything is such a hassle with this virus life! It was easier to order Dekoni overnight from Amazon.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #16,274 of 20,596
Funny, it seems no one is talking to their dealers about goop pad warranty replacement (including me). Everything is such a hassle with this virus life! It was easier to order Dekoni overnight from Amazon.

But how does Dekoni compare to the original? I have no desire to alter the sound. But I already ordered the original. I figured if had to go thru warranty, if even valid, would take weeks and I can’t be without music for weeks.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #16,275 of 20,596
But how does Dekoni compare to the original? I have no desire to alter the sound. But I already ordered the original. I figured if had to go thru warranty, if even valid, would take weeks and I can’t be without music for weeks.
Thats why is good to have at least two headphones. You gotta have a backup plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back