Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #15,886 of 20,593
Hi All,

A few days ago I received my Utopias back from being serviced. The left driver had just died out of the blue while listening at moderate volume. The cans were still under warranty, so I was only out about $15 for shipping. Kudos to Focal and @TSAVWayne (Source AV) for excellent service and communication throughout the repair process. I tested the Utopia very briefly the day I received them back, but actually listened to them at length last night. A few things became apparent:

1) They sound much better to me than they did before. Bass sounds fuller/louder while still maintaining tautness. Soundstage size also increased. The gap between Utopia and Susvara has now significantly decreased for me. Obviously, this impression is subject to change with more extended listening, but I truly enjoyed my session with the Utopia last night!

2) The clamping force is now much less than previously, to the point where the cans feel as if they might fall off when leaning forward or backward. Previously, they were very secure on my noggin. When holding an ear cup in either hand, there is FAR more lateral play before as if the headband is simply much more compliant now.

3) Focal provided new ear pads. For all I know, they may have simply replaced the entire driver/ear cup/slider assemblies, including the pads. The new ear pads have a lighter, cushier feel than the old ones. They feel a bit less substantial, but I believe the outer material is the same (or very similar).

So, my questions are:

A) Did Focal modify the drivers or ear cups on the Utopia at some point?

B) Can anyone shed some light on whether and when Focal did any other modifications to the Utopia?

C) Are the sonic changes (improvements) I'm perceiving likely just related to clamping force and/or ear pad composition?

I bought my Utopia almost exactly four years ago, in August 2017.

Thanks in advance for any info or insights.
IIRC the early batch issue was a production, not design issue. Many users have had their drivers replaced. If there were a hidden running change, it’s hard to believe no one has ID’d it before now.

I’m not suggesting that you’re not hearing what you report. I’m just very skeptical that the source is a silent upgrade no one else has mentioned.

Sep 4, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #15,887 of 20,593
IIRC the early batch issue was a production, not design issue. Many users have had their drivers replaced. If there were a hidden running change, it’s hard to believe no one has ID’d it before now.

I’m not suggesting that you’re not hearing what you report. I’m just very skeptical that the source is a silent upgrade no one else has mentioned.
Thanks for that information. (Significant) driver modifications would indeed seem to be a long shot. I'm actually thinking the (perceived) sonic improvements may just be down to the definite changes in clamping force and ear pad density.

EDIT: Can others weigh in on how much clamping force they feel with their Utopias? When you lean forward, do the cans move on your head? TIA.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #15,889 of 20,593
yep but hes got the qutest already so i didnt want to recommend an all in one. The qutest is near identical to the hugo, perhaps a tad smoother, but if you hadnt bought the qutest the Hugo2 is an easy choice, sounds great with the Utopia. The TT2 is step up again and add the mscaler in its awesome but suddenly we've got to a budget of £8K!

This is why I ended up with the Naim HE. Chord was costing me too much money and didn’t bring any further enjoyment. But if someone already has the Qutest, the pairing has less to with the dac than the Utopia itself. I suppose Chord tends to be on the drier side, so a warmer amp might make sense. Essential stay away from anything too bright with the Utopia.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #15,890 of 20,593
This is why I ended up with the Naim HE. Chord was costing me too much money and didn’t bring any further enjoyment. But if someone already has the Qutest, the pairing has less to with the dac than the Utopia itself. I suppose Chord tends to be on the drier side, so a warmer amp might make sense. Essential stay away from anything too bright with the Utopia.
Yeah the naim HE is probably the way I’ll go in the future - looked into it a lot last night. Would rather get that than spending another 1.5K on a chord amp. Qutest should be easy enough to sell down the line.

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #15,891 of 20,593
Yeah the naim HE is probably the way I’ll go in the future - looked into it a lot last night. Would rather get that than spending another 1.5K on a chord amp. Qutest should be easy enough to sell down the line.
Or maybe add the v280 to qutest- nice pairing

v280 sometimes comes up for $1200usd if any are left

but the naim gives you streamer ability as well so valid option for ALL in one

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #15,892 of 20,593
Or maybe add the v280 to qutest- nice pairing

v280 sometimes comes up for $1200usd if any are left

but the naim gives you streamer ability as well so valid option for ALL in one
Thanks - that’s a good suggestion. I don’t love how the V280 looks lol. Regardless, this is a problem for years from now. Will not be buying much after the Utopia lol

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #15,893 of 20,593
Thanks - that’s a good suggestion. I don’t love how the V280 looks lol. Regardless, this is a problem for years from now. Will not be buying much after the Utopia lol
If you go the v280 you will need a balanced cable for full performance

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #15,895 of 20,593
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #15,896 of 20,593
Hi All,

A few days ago I received my Utopias back from being serviced. The left driver had just died out of the blue while listening at moderate volume. The cans were still under warranty, so I was only out about $15 for shipping. Kudos to Focal and @TSAVWayne (Source AV) for excellent service and communication throughout the repair process. I tested the Utopia very briefly the day I received them back, but actually listened to them at length last night. A few things became apparent:

1) They sound much better to me than they did before. Bass sounds fuller/louder while still maintaining tautness. Soundstage size also increased. The gap between Utopia and Susvara has now significantly decreased for me. Obviously, this impression is subject to change with more extended listening, but I truly enjoyed my session with the Utopia last night!

2) The clamping force is now much less than previously, to the point where the cans feel as if they might fall off when leaning forward or backward. Previously, they were very secure on my noggin. When holding an ear cup in either hand, there is FAR more lateral play before as if the headband is simply much more compliant now.

3) Focal provided new ear pads. For all I know, they may have simply replaced the entire driver/ear cup/slider assemblies, including the pads. The new ear pads have a lighter, cushier feel than the old ones. They feel a bit less substantial, but I believe the outer material is the same (or very similar).

So, my questions are:

B) Can anyone shed some light on whether and when Focal did any other modifications to the Utopia?

C) Are the sonic changes (improvements) I'm perceiving likely just related to clamping force and/or ear pad composition?

my utopia was repaired under warranty following a driver failure. my understanding is that both drivers were replaced. i didn't notice any difference to the sound or to any other aspect of the headphone.

it's surprising to me that your ear pads were replaced free of charge, and that you are noticing such significant changes with your set. have you considered checking with the store to ascertain what repairs were done?

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #15,898 of 20,593
my utopia was repaired under warranty following a driver failure. my understanding is that both drivers were replaced. i didn't notice any difference to the sound or to any other aspect of the headphone.

it's surprising to me that your ear pads were replaced free of charge, and that you are noticing such significant changes with your set. have you considered checking with the store to ascertain what repairs were done?
As mentioned above, I will be checking with Focal and/or Source AV at CanJam, if not sooner. Just wanted to see if anyone on HeadFi had any pertinent information in the meantime. The fact that I got complimentary ear pads did make me wonder if they were updated at some point to modify the sound of the headphones. Or perhaps it was just a goodwill gesture on the part of Focal. I'll definitely report back with whatever info I do receive.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #15,899 of 20,593
Hi All,

So, my questions are:

Hmm, I got my Utopias nearly 5yrs ago, around October 2016 (serial 5XX).
I assumed if they were going to fail they would have by now. Yours failing after 4yrs doesn't give me great confidence going forward.
I realise that although there were a spate of driver failures reported here, the overall % of failures would still be quite low - ie the vast majority had no issue.
I still find it strange that certain individuals (obviously not you @BassicScience ) reported multiple failures - must have been dreadfully unlucky, or else some other cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back