Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #5,956 of 20,624
I think part of the problem with the clear vs utopia debate is price.....it is impossible for a reviewer not to take price into consideration but it seems to me that tyll should say that for 1500 dollars he thinks the clear is the best available or something to that effect....if you have the money available i am quite sure the utopia is the better choice but if you are ranking based upon bang for the buck it might well be different....the 100K mercedes is better than the 40K mercedes but if taking price into account the 40K might be the better choice...personally i think the HP should be rated in terms of performance without price and then one can choose based on their budget otherwise i think we confuse things...just my 2 cents
The Chord Dave is better than the Yiggy but for the price perhaps the Yiggy is the better choice...etc

I agree. I love my Yggy.... I do love my Dave but not 4-5 times as much. Wish I did. Definitely in the diminishing return territory with these and utopia/clears.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #5,957 of 20,624
@PeteSTRADAMUS
The Clear is definitely not "several levels lower in sound quality" than the Utopia. Think about what you're saying?
You may prefer the Utopia to the Clear for its differences (which is fine) but that's just a matter of personal
preference because they both have 2 totally different presentations, and both are very good at what they do.

The Focal Clear is nice, but only an incremental improvement compared to Elear based on reviews. it’s definitely several tiers below Utopia.. the price point reflects that and most reviews pin the Clear closer to Elear rather than Clear to Utopia..

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #5,958 of 20,624
What it comes down to me is that I really, really enjoy the detail and realism the Utopia provide for me. Fun to my ears is nitpicking the track apart. I don't want calm relaxing sound. I'm in love with the attack, that's calming to me I guess.

this is what make me really enjoy these
everything is thrown at me but not in an aggressive manner

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #5,959 of 20,624
The Focal Clear is nice, but only an incremental improvement compared to Elear based on reviews. it’s definitely several tiers below Utopia.. the price point reflects that and most reviews pin the Clear closer to Elear rather than Clear to Utopia..
Booyakasha lol.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #5,960 of 20,624
@PeteSTRADAMUS
The Clear is definitely not "several levels lower in sound quality" than the Utopia. Think about what you're saying?
You may prefer the Utopia to the Clear for its differences (which is fine) but that's just a matter of personal
preference because they both have 2 totally different presentations, and both are very good at what they do.
Well said. Some do not welcome cans with bold clarity.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #5,962 of 20,624
Let's be Frank here, The Utopia is a Ferrari La Ferrari, and the Clear is the Ferrari 458 Italia, it might be quick like a Ferrari, but it's no way, shape, or form a LA FERRARI!!!!

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5,964 of 20,624
if the utopia is the more resolving headphone (and i presume that it is), perhaps that might explain the difference between clarity and "bold clarity"

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #5,965 of 20,624
my reaction to the hd800s is similar to @AnakChan. while i preferred it to the hd800, i didn't like it enough to want to own it. the sr-009 also left me cold tbh.

What headphones do you own and what is your priority of liking them? Seems like we have similar taste in music :)

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #5,966 of 20,624
some of them are listed in my profile. they have different sound signatures and i like them all. i don't prioritise them as such, tho the utopia is getting the most head time currently because it's the newest addition to the collection.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #5,967 of 20,624
So, yesterday I had a friend over, he tried out some Led Zeppellin on the Utopia... Looked like he almost started getting teary-eyed from the emotional rollercoaster the sound gave him. He isn't into headphone audio and he was quite marveled by the way the sound is presented.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #5,968 of 20,624
So, yesterday I had a friend over, he tried out some Led Zeppellin on the Utopia... Looked like he almost started getting teary-eyed from the emotional rollercoaster the sound gave him. He isn't into headphone audio and he was quite marveled by the way the sound is presented.
I guess the song doesn't remain the same! It can get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back