Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 7, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #5,611 of 20,624
The production number may have less impact on reliability as opposed to what time and day of the week production took place. My first pair may have been assembled or had drivers made on Monday morning.

Hahahaha I love the “Monday morning” comment .... let’s hope your second pair does the trick! :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 7, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #5,612 of 20,624
hello there. I have tried some tracks and indeed a can year sometimes that cracking bass. but i dont think the problem is utopia. There is a track called war from Max ritter. In the end you hear canon firing. utopia cracks bass, my hd800 cracks bass, but lesser. even audeze cracks a little bit.
I think utopia is very sensible. Im using violectric 281 balanced. Hows your utopia?
What's your V281 pre-gain set on?

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #5,613 of 20,624
hello there. I have tried some tracks and indeed a can year sometimes that cracking bass. but i dont think the problem is utopia. There is a track called war from Max ritter. In the end you hear canon firing. utopia cracks bass, my hd800 cracks bass, but lesser. even audeze cracks a little bit.
I think utopia is very sensible. Im using violectric 281 balanced. Hows your utopia?

David, what album is this Track from?

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #5,614 of 20,624
If that’s the case, it’s short sighted, for several reasons. First, a manufacturer should be concerned with maintaining resale value, it speaks to the quality of the product and brand. There will be new buyers that will decide to buy, or not to, based on retaining value. Second, building word of mouth momentum for a brand requires a great deal of “word of mouth” advertising. The more people who have a positive experience and are willing to share it, the greater the positive “vibe” of a brand.

i find this argument odd. i didn't buy the utopa with its resale value in mind. i also accept that any new item loses monetary value the moment you open the box or in the case of the car analogy, drive it out of the showroom.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #5,617 of 20,624
i find this argument odd. i didn't buy the utopa with its resale value in mind. i also accept that any new item loses monetary value the moment you open the box or in the case of the car analogy, drive it out of the showroom.

It’s just “Branding 101,” perhaps my biotech/pharmaceutical experience doesn’t transfer to Audio.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #5,618 of 20,624
Dec 7, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #5,620 of 20,624

We always want to blame hardware first when 99% of the time I find it's the recording. When I have experienced something that sounds wrong I simply re-play the same problem spot on a disc on a completely different system from disc player to amp out with the same and then a different set of phones and at higher and lower volume levels to see if there is any change. If the problem reoccurs regardless of whether it's to greater or lesser extent, then it has nothing to do with anything in the hardware chain and everything to do with the source recording or over driving the phones. The fact that in your case, the 800 cracks the bass less makes absolute sense as the 800 doesn't have the same dynamic response capability at the low end as the Utopia.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #5,622 of 20,624
It’s just “Branding 101,” perhaps my biotech/pharmaceutical experience doesn’t transfer to Audio.

new items lose resale value the moment they become used with few exceptions that i can think of, but i didn't take "branding 101" :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #5,623 of 20,624
True but with a car, the warranty transfers to 2nd and 3rd owner. Keeping the resale much higher.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #5,624 of 20,624
new items lose resale value the moment they become used with few exceptions that i can think of, but i didn't take "branding 101" :wink:

The iPhone has a better resale value than my Utopia. Shoot even Audeze has a better resale value, Utopia loses more than half its value on the after market but Audeze hoveres closer to msrp even after 2 or third party sale.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #5,625 of 20,624
maybe all my headphones are ****ed??????
LoL

please try yours

Just listened, with my Mojo and iPad, balls of blue, but no crackling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back