Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 6, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #5,581 of 20,644
Been away from here for awhile - reason, I've still not heard any news about the repair of my Utopias, sent to France 3 months ago. I read somewhere that early production units gave reliability problems and I fear I purchased one of those. Unfortunately the pair I had made me the third owner so I've been unable to track down the original purchaser to find the dealer but I guess claiming under guarantee would not have been possible anyway.
Third owner in a little over a year? I think maybe you inherited some problems... but who would know (except the other 2 owners). I hope they at least come back soon in working order, and you can enjoy them - it should not take that long. I remember my wife bought a rather expensive french-made handbag (ie. not a fake one). In a short period of time, some of the stitching started unravelling. The dealer had to send it back to France for repair and it took 6 months. Maybe the French think the more you pay, the longer you are prepared to wait. :)

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #5,582 of 20,644
Well, I only found out I was owner 3 when I had a problem and contacted the guy I purchased them from (and it was via this site BTW) - I imported them to Australia from the USA.

Being a Scrooge I was not prepared to pay full price so looked at getting a used pair as I had never struck problems with used cans or other audio gear before. Initially the Focals were fine and I echoed the enthusiasm of you guys about them, but ..........

So it is the old story, buyer beware. However one would expect quality items like the Focal Utopias to be OK. But as I said before, maybe I was caught with an early production model that had problems since rectified. I say this because there are not many reports of problems such as mine. I guess we all hope this is the case!!!

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #5,583 of 20,644
.........But as I said before, maybe I was caught with an early production model that had problems since rectified. I say this because there are not many reports of problems such as mine.

Can you advise the serial or first digit of same - to give an idea of where this particular pair sits in the production run?
ie 1XX, 2XX etc

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #5,584 of 20,644
Can you advise the serial or first digit of same - to give an idea of where this particular pair sits in the production run?
ie 1XX, 2XX etc
They are overseas being repaired (I hope) but I have a record of that number here somewhere and will try and find it tomorrow to post it up. Retirement time here at the moment so it will have to wait!!

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,586 of 20,644
Found the S/N - A1BENG001757

What does that indicate??
Interesting.

Mine is F000780

My guess is that the letter indicates the batch, and the number is a sequent.

G001757 might indicate 7th batch, 1757 to roll off the line.

Anyone have something other than "G" or "F" or A1BEN...?

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #5,587 of 20,644
A1BEHG001277 Purchased new 03/01/17 (shorter cable)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #5,589 of 20,644
Here's two more.

A1BEHF0005XX (long cable) Purchased new 10/16. Left driver died 11/17.

A1BEHG0011XX (short cable) Received new as replacement from Crutchfield 11/17. I have no idea how long they had it in inventory.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #5,592 of 20,644
For example, today I went to repair a $500k instrument but it had a catastrophic failure (meaning that I determined that the time I would spend repairing it plus the parts I would need to repair it exceed the cost of replacement). We will most likely replace the unit with a new or refurbished one at no cost to the customer. This is because the customer purchased from us and has a service agreement (which you could think of as an extended warranty) with us.
!
Secretly hoping your instrument was a shark with a friggin laser attached to it’s head.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #5,593 of 20,644
Where is the Focal Rep when you needed?
Do the Disappearing act again and show up again when there is no task to do?
As far as I know, no Focal rep has posted here. Jason is a Focal dealer. There are a few other Focal dealers on this thread too. There is quite a difference between a dealer and a representative from the actual company.

Jason's job, as I see it, is to sell stuff to his customers. I believe he participates here for these reasons (in order of importance).
  1. he enjoys the witty, urbane, and thoughtful conversation. - when there is any :)
  2. he's a generally helpful guy.
  3. by being helpful, he might get a customer or two.
This isn't an official Focal support board; this is a "community" self help and discussion board.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #5,594 of 20,644
As far as I know, no Focal rep has posted here. Jason is a Focal dealer. There are a few other Focal dealers on this thread too. There is quite a difference between a dealer and a representative from the actual company.

Jason's job, as I see it, is to sell stuff to his customers. I believe he participates here for these reasons (in order of importance).
  1. he enjoys the witty, urbane, and thoughtful conversation. - when there is any :)
  2. he's a generally helpful guy.
  3. by being helpful, he might get a customer or two.
This isn't an official Focal support board; this is a "community" self help and discussion board.

Then probably you did not read this thread regularly.
I believe there is a lady from time to time from Focal Rep showed up here.
I just forgot her name.
Perhaps she could look into sn and described to us owners.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #5,595 of 20,644
Then probably you did not read this thread regularly.
I believe there is a lady from time to time from Focal Rep showed up here.
I just forgot her name.
Perhaps she could look into sn and described to us owners.
I do read it regularly. Some would say, too often :)

Sorry, I didn't recall any Focal Reps here. Heck, I'm not sure I recalled anyone that might even be female!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back