Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #5,626 of 20,602
new items lose resale value the moment they become used with few exceptions that i can think of, but i didn't take "branding 101" :wink:
for those that have visited the elear thread some members have spend days /many pages listening to this one album at higher than usual volume to hear the crackling so as to complain about the headphones crackling

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #5,627 of 20,602
The iPhone has a better resale value than my Utopia. Shoot even Audeze has a better resale value, Utopia loses more than half its value on the after market but Audeze hoveres closer to msrp even after 2 or third party sale.

In a large part due to extended warranties and excellent customer service on all of their products, Be they Primary or secondary.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #5,628 of 20,602
Just listened, with my Mojo and iPad, balls of blue, but no crackling.

for those that have visited the elear thread some members have spend days /many pages listening to this one album at higher than usual volume to hear the crackling so as to complain about the headphones crackling

wildcatsare1 ....nahhhh.....you're not listening to it LOUD enough!

or your amp is not powerful enough

652543d1321029532-11-11-11-these_go_to_eleven.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #5,631 of 20,602
True but with a car, the warranty transfers to 2nd and 3rd owner. Keeping the resale much higher.
that ol' warranty chestnut again :wink:

The iPhone has a better resale value than my Utopia. Shoot even Audeze has a better resale value, Utopia loses more than half its value on the after market but Audeze hoveres closer to msrp even after 2 or third party sale.
i can understand that being a disincentive for folks who would factor the utopia's potential resale value into their purchasing decision, but it wouldn't cause me to buy an lcd-4 instead, or an iphone for that matter :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #5,632 of 20,602
after the complain.. and complain and more complain.... any solutions?
actually it was good to see some members learnt to love them...once the bleeding stopped

some returned them....again - in some instances the store happily did it

focal's response was that the crackling was part of the way the headphones were manufactured - i believe it protects the driver and perhaps, from memory, it was said it was a similar feature to speakers

another member quoted drew baird (from moon audio) from an email he sayid he received early on stating that he )Drew) saw this as an unacceptable manufacturing fault

others said the new replacement pairs did not have the issue

others said that it didn't develop until many hours of use - i think one guy said about 100 hours

others said they have had no issues at all

others said just don't play the headphones that loud as it was way louder than you normally would

*touch wood* i have had mine for about 6 weeks and the only complaint have is that when listening to the elear I can't help but turn it up louder - but no issues at all

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #5,635 of 20,602
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #5,636 of 20,602
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #5,637 of 20,602
Dec 7, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,638 of 20,602
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 7, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #5,639 of 20,602
Dec 7, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #5,640 of 20,602
I was always under the impression that they won't cover any problems with the Utopia if you're the 2nd owner but they will still fix/service your pair for a price. Or maybe I'm just reading what you said wrong (if so sorry!)

True, I should have written ‘...the fact that Focal won’t provide warranty service for second or subsequent owners...’

Apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back