Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Dec 31, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,861 of 1,971
I have a Utopia 22 coming next week. I bought them on a great sale but have never heard them, however I've owned Focal Clear and Elex in the past and loved the sound from those. I also and a Meze Empyrean in the past, and while it had very good sound I found it a bit too laid back/smoothed over for my tastes.
I had those in the past paired with an Audio-GD NFB amp.

To power the Utopia's, I've also bought a used Ferrum Erco.

Anyone have any experience with the Utopia + Erco, especially if you also have heard the Clear, Elex, and/or Empyrean on an Audio-GD NFB and may provide some insights into what kind of an improvement I'm about to hear?

Also, and separately, has anyone every compared a Ferrum Erco or even Oor with a Naim Uniti Atom HE on the Utopia and could provide comparative insights?
Given that you have already bought the Utopia and Erco, give them a listen for a bit to get used to them before getting input on the various combos. Basically, don’t ruin your experience from a limited sample size. You may enjoy it right off the bat, no FOMO needed!

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,862 of 1,971
Given that you have already bought the Utopia and Erco, give them a listen for a bit to get used to them before getting input on the various combos. Basically, don’t ruin your experience from a limited sample size. You may enjoy it right off the bat, no FOMO needed!
I'm sure it'll be fantastic, but now that I'm returning to this hobby I'm being impatient as I wait for the new gear.

I gave it up a few years ago as I upgraded my home theater sound system and figured I'd just do more music listening on that, but to be honest because the HT is in the basement, I rarely listen to music on it.
When I do go into the HT it's 99% purpose is to watch something.
But I love music, and so I decided I'd invest in a proper head-fi system to do that with in a more convenient location on the main floor.
It's a shame because my Revel F328Be's in the HT really do sound magnificent for music.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #1,863 of 1,971
I'm sure it'll be fantastic, but now that I'm returning to this hobby I'm being impatient as I wait for the new gear.

I gave it up a few years ago as I upgraded my home theater sound system and figured I'd just do more music listening on that, but to be honest because the HT is in the basement, I rarely listen to music on it.
When I do go into the HT it's 99% purpose is to watch something.
But I love music, and so I decided I'd invest in a proper head-fi system to do that with in a more convenient location on the main floor.
It's a shame because my Revel F328Be's in the HT really do sound magnificent for music.
It’s a pendulum, swings back and forth. I have been there and back there again where the majority of my listening is via speakers until 9pm, then switch to headphones. Why the change? I was using my HT system for music as the AVR is a really good 2-channel amp in stereo mode. However it didn’t hold a candle to a integrated stereo amp. Created two separate systems and problem fixed.

I get the impatience, I can tell you from a brief listen in a hotel suite the Erco and Oor were very close with the original Utopia. Both were powered by the Hypnos, and when listening to the Oor the Erco DAC was feeding it. The Ferrum stack is an underrated solid state option at used pricing these days.

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #1,864 of 1,971
Do you think the A&K Kann (the 1st version) can drive the Utopia22 ? I have a Utopia coming and only my old Kann to drive it.

Considering gsx mini later but don’t wanna blow this kind of money if not a significant upgrade.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #1,865 of 1,971
This is what the OG Utopia gives me and the 22 didn’t. That’s why I sold it and bought the original version again. Just more meat on the bone.

I thought the polar opposite, the 22 had more to it than the OG.

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #1,866 of 1,971
BTW, the Lina HeadAmp drives two Utopias easily with the Lina DAC output at 6V so two people can listen at the same time.

https://homestudiobasics.com/what-is-sensitivity-in-headphones/

Quotes from the link above: “The Utopia’s Sensitivity is 104dB/mW, so it needs less juice to reach optimal levels...So with a headphone that has a 105dB of Sensitivity, only 2.5mW of power is required to reach optimal loudness (110dB SPL).”

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #1,867 of 1,971
BTW, the Lina HeadAmp drives two Utopias easily with the Lina DAC output at 6V so two people can listen at the same time.

Quotes from the link above: “The Utopia’s Sensitivity is 104dB/mW, so it needs less juice to reach optimal levels...So with a headphone that has a 105dB of Sensitivity, only 2.5mW of power is required to reach optimal loudness (110dB SPL).”
But who wants to listen to Lina headamp… 🤣

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #1,868 of 1,971

My ALO tube hp amp can drive 4 hp at the same time with issue, Utopia OG, LCD-5, HE1000SE, Empyrean II
or
Liric, 109 Pro, Hemp, Stellia , HD800S

Take your pick......Combinations......

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #1,871 of 1,971
If you're looking for an upgrade cable for your U22s that will leave you with a happy wallet and a smile on your face I would highly recommend the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC which I've used to connect to my Woo Audio Tube Mini sourced by iPad mini 6, a great pairing!

Attachments

• IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #1,873 of 1,971
If you're looking for an upgrade cable for your U22s that will leave you with a happy wallet and a smile on your face I would highly recommend the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC which I've used to connect to my Woo Audio Tube Mini sourced by iPad mini 6, a great pairing!
if I want a good soundstage and details cable better than original with the Choros mojo 2 where do I begin? not more than 200$ or so.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #1,874 of 1,971
Any well constructed pure silver will work fine.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #1,875 of 1,971
The original cable is torrid. It really is. But $200 is not a realistic budget for a good cable upgrade.

You could try the Norse Audio Drausk although I've never listened to it. Or Silver Dragon? That's probably the lower end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back