Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Aug 14, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #1,246 of 1,972
I've got to say sound aside I find the OG so much cooler looking than Nutopia....The new one could just be a focal clear mg pro or something. The Og with that silver grill just looks badass.
I definitely think they look better in person but I still lean Nutopia.
The OG looks like Focal said, what can we throw at this build to be high end? Leather? Yep! Carbon fiber? Yeah! Glossy and matte black? Definitely! What about a black mesh? That’s cool! We could add some silver mesh? Let’s do it, I’m in!
Just missing the kitchen sink.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #1,247 of 1,972

Recently picked up an OG Utopia to see how it compares to the Nutopia. I couldn’t resist not knowing and I needed to find out myself. I was prepared to part ways with the Nutopia if the OG could impress me enough.

Utopia (OG) and Nutopia (22) Comparison

This comparison was done using the following chain:
PP3>Innuos Zenith MK3 (using Sense and Roon)>Wavelight>EC Studio B - 300B
(stock focal cable to keep it fair)

Most of this is nitpicking because IMO these are very close. They’re definitely both a Utopia. Both have very good detail, speed, punch/slam, depth, and that Utopia trait where things just pop out in the mix and in a way that adds a sparkle to the experience. Very fun headphones.

Nutopia leans a touch warm in the low end. Guitars on the 22 have a bit more growl and come off fuller to me. Utopia/OG is still very good but if I had to pick one for bass I’d go 22. Depending on the recording the 22 seems to hit a tad harder at times too. The bass fills up some of the space and makes me feel it’s more complete. This is going to be a preference thing but I like the warmer tilt. With something like orchestral music I could see someone liking the OG a bit more but the increase in the low end doesn’t bother me here. It’s actually nice with upright bass, certain strings, horns, etc. If you’re a bass fan and listen to modern pop/hip hop/EDM/etc. I don’t know why you wouldn’t choose the 22. I’d probably say the same for most rock too.

Some recordings vocals can seem a tad fuller on the 22 as well. When I would do an A/B of the two to test clarity of the vocals, I think it’s too close to call. Both are great in this area. It’s not like the additional low end bleeds into the mids and hurts the vocals. I like how they accomplished this.

Stage is close too but I think the 22 can seem slightly larger. It’s very close but some reverbs and micro details in the distance seems a tad bit farther on the 22. Depth in the stage is pretty close too, I think this one is a toss up. I do think the 22 can be a tad bit more holographic at times. Some recordings will reveal this better than others.

Throughout the midrange I say it’s very close. Probably a preference thing again. Some recordings the 22 will have a slight touch of more body. Nothing crazy in one direction or another IMO. I’d take either.

When it comes to the high frequencies I think they both extend very well. I don’t want anything more from the 22 (heading into this I was thinking the 22 would lose here). The OG is just as good but occasionally, and I mean occasionally because most of the time it’s fine, but it can get just a touch spicy. While the 22 will extend just as high to me, it slightly takes that edge off with its touch of warmth. I’m not saying it’s blunted or dulled in anyway it’s just more pleasing to me. This typically happens in something like rock.

Timbre is close as well but I think at times I like the 22. I think I prefer the touch of body and warmth throughout the signature. Some recordings will show this better than others. Again close and nitpicking.

If I come up with anything else I’ll add some more to this. Overall they’re both great. Again, a lot of this is nitpicking. They’re close and I couldn’t see owning both. If I didn’t have the 22 I’d be completely content with the OG. Which makes me think I wish I would have tried the OG years ago. Probably would have saved some money along the way in my audio journey, IDK? The current OG prices are amazing and I don’t fault anyone for picking one up over the 22. As for me, I’ll stick with the 22. Even tho there’s a price difference, I feel the 22 fits my preferences a bit more. I could sell the 22 and get some cash back but I don’t know if I’d be as happy knowing what I’ve heard.

Maybe I’m crazy? Some swear by the OG… Idk? I like the 22 for the reasons mentioned above.

Oh and the OG is really nice looking in person. I wasn’t really a fan when looking at pics online, but they’re pretty in person
😄
First time I've ever noticed the Focal insignia in the carbon fiber yolk on the original Utopia and I've owned mine since '18.

Aug 14, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #1,249 of 1,972
I prefer the design of the 2016 Utopia because it was inspired by the Beryllium tweeters in their loudspeakers. I also feel the previous integration of the LEMO connectors was more elegant and less prone to damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #1,250 of 1,972
I've got to say sound aside I find the OG so much cooler looking than Nutopia....The new one could just be a focal clear mg pro or something. The Og with that silver grill just looks badass.
+1. I also find the structured carbon fibre of the OG to be better looking than the forged(?) on the Nutopia. I plan to keep it til goop do us part.

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #1,251 of 1,972
+1. I also find the structured carbon fibre of the OG to be better looking than the forged(?) on the Nutopia. I plan to keep it til goop do us part.

In term of quality, the other way around actually. The forged carbon is so "silent", no creaking at all under various usages.

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,252 of 1,972
In term of quality, the other way around actually. The forged carbon is so "silent", no creaking at all under various usages.
I agree it seems better. However, Focal likely made other internal changes to dampen mechanical noises from the headband and it is not simply the change to forged carbon fiber. Focal improved the build quality and driver reliability and its for those reasons I might recommend purchasing it over the earlier version. Specifically, their injection molded plastics process is cleaner— I have seen minor flashing defects on the 2016-2021 units particularly on the radius around the driver grille (again things only an industrial designer would notice). However, I much prefer the tuning and styling of its predecessor.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #1,253 of 1,972
as i've posted previously, apart from the forged/recycled carbon fibre yoke of the nutopia feeling more rigid than that of the og utopia, any improvement to its build quality and finish was not apparent to me

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #1,254 of 1,972
as i've posted previously, apart from the forged/recycled carbon fibre yoke of the nutopia feeling more rigid than that of the og utopia, any improvement to its build quality and finish was not apparent to me
The more rigid yoke sounds like an inprovement of build quality by itself.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,256 of 1,972
Anyone else have a Focal Clear Mg?

I feel like going from it to Utopia is like going from 1440p to 4k. It's such a big difference, and the Utopia has this smoothness, where the Clear is sometimes a tad grainy/bitty/harsh, Utopia is just smooth as a lake on a windless day. I think the difference between these headphones is underplayed a lot in comparisons
I daily drive the Clear MG (Pro) and tried the Utopia 2022 on a loaner tour. My conclusions are the Clear MG has a bit better bass impact, but literally everything else about the Utopia is so noticeably better. Even soundstage and imaging, which I was not expecting. Clear MG stock without EQ almost sounds muffled and stuffy in comparison, the Utopia is clean, smooth, neutral yet not boring at all. It's got the most resolving treble ever, yet not fatiguing at all and smooth as butter. So yeah, completely agree with you here. Time for me to save up for one, lol.

Aug 18, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,257 of 1,972
I daily drive the Clear MG (Pro) and tried the Utopia 2022 on a loaner tour. My conclusions are the Clear MG has a bit better bass impact, but literally everything else about the Utopia is so noticeably better. Even soundstage and imaging, which I was not expecting. Clear MG stock without EQ almost sounds muffled and stuffy in comparison, the Utopia is clean, smooth, neutral yet not boring at all. It's got the most resolving treble ever, yet not fatiguing at all and smooth as butter. So yeah, completely agree with you here. Time for me to save up for one, lol.
When I had the chance to compare the two Focals through a Naim Uniti Atom H/E, the Utopia 2022 was obviously better than the Clear MG Pro, almost exactly the way you describe it. I found the bass of the Utopia fuller too. I was then a bit disappointed because I was considering upgrading from my reference headphone to the Clear MG, thinking the MG was very close to Utopia. It never happened since the sonic ability of my reference was actually found to be between the two Focals, closer to the Utopia.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #1,258 of 1,972
I would try Clear OG first. OG doesn’t have that muffled, stuffy sound you experienced with MG. With the right source and amp you can get rid of that slight metallic shine. Not suggesting Utopia 2022 is not a clear step up from OG but if your issue is primarily with the muffled and stuffy sound, OG does fix that.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,259 of 1,972
wow! i just saw from a headphone group on FB group an extraordinarily good deal from an aussie dealer's (Addictedtoaudio) online store! even lower than adorma's flash sale a bit earlier! on quick googling, the shop seems a chain store and quite legit. has never shopped from aussie before and just wonder anyone has any experience with the shop?

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #1,260 of 1,972
wow! i just saw from a headphone group on FB group an extraordinarily good deal from an aussie dealer's (Addictedtoaudio) online store! even lower than adorma's flash sale a bit earlier! on quick googling, the shop seems a chain store and quite legit. has never shopped from aussie before and just wonder anyone has any experience with the shop?
I would go for it if you live in down under and the chain is a verified dealer. Otherwise not worth the trouble of buying grey market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back