Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,276 of 1,972
Aug 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #1,278 of 1,972
Ohh never thought of that. But looks like these sellers are just creating a listing with stock image (they don't have stock) and are placing the order only after you purchase from them, at a markup of course. Anyhow, my Adorama order was cancelled, so here goes...
just to update everyone about the order. several headfiers i knew purchased and received tracking no. & invoice that their package was shipped out on 21/8 and will deliver on 23-25/8. will update you guys how things turn out finally next few days.

Just so people know, a2a has lost distribution rights to the focal brand in Australia, so they are selling stock at pretty much the best price we will ever see to get rid of inventory, not sure how that will affect warranty going forward.
Oh thanks for the enlightenment! I did a bit googling and found some news in june https://www.channelnews.com.au/excl...uWugczz470syf2ka2Tqtp2XQEXpb9-7yNu8NzDrUu0hT0 corroborating with yours. just learnt that ATA is the ex-Aussie distributor. most likely they're offloading stock before/when the distributorship changing hands. so seems this is a legit product but whether focal will honour the warranty is a big question. i read quite a few local headfiers complaining focal's far from desirable aftersale services for their utopia OG a few years back.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,279 of 1,972
Here is a crazy idea: how about buying from an authorized dealer/distributor in your local geographic region? Let's not try to kill the remaining local dealers so we can all have places to demo gear and have home trials.

Aug 21, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,280 of 1,972
Here is a crazy idea: how about buying from an authorized dealer/distributor in your local geographic region? Let's not try to kill the remaining local dealers so we can all have places to demo gear and have home trials.
Agreed. It's important to support honest local business. I bought new gears from local dealers (or directly with the manufacturer) more often than overseas shopping . if they offer respectable service or when the brand maintaining a roughly comparable price level across different markets, I've no problem to pay a bit more. But the problem with some dealers is they don't offer any sort of aftersales services at all and buyers always ending up to have to deal with the manufacturer directly at some point. Quite often there's a substantial price difference between different regions too. If they're all honest and something like e-earphone in Tokyo, I'll be a lot more often shopping from my local dealers 😀

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,281 of 1,972
Crazier idea: I dont think a reseller offloading their inventory for good will kill local stores. Many businesses go out of business or launch fire sale when offloading a brand. Short term, the competitors around the offloader will suffer. Long term, they gain to benefit as that's one less competition to deal with. And
1. the quantity being sold is very limited
2. most likely little to no margin for the store offloading them
3. questionable/non-existent warranty for buyers

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #1,283 of 1,972
1692667245633.jpeg

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,285 of 1,972
Negative, insulting and belittling. Thanks for your input.
You do understand implied or express warranty of merchantability is different from a manufacturer’s warranty, correct?

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,286 of 1,972
At the end of the day, these prices don't come around often. Even with people marking them up on eBay it could be the cheapest you see it in the US for some time. Your the master of your hard earned money.

A2A said this is cost price for them, whether that is true or not means these retailers are normally offloading them at a 50% markup. Could be from focals request to inflate the worth.

I was saving some cash for ZMF November but this deal has put a dent in it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #1,287 of 1,972
You do understand implied or express warranty of merchantability is different from a manufacturer’s warranty, correct?
Look, you live in a different country with different laws. My personal experience with the retailer in question, coupled with my knowledge of local law, makes me feel very safe about my consumer rights in this situation. The main point here is that warranties are offered voluntarily, and do not void or replace a consumer's rights under law. If you are looking for service under warranty or as provided under law, the retailer is responsible. If you're looking for service/repair outside of those situations, then the retailer is not responsible. Were that the case, I'd be asking a current retailer for advice and assistance and be willing to pay for that service. None of this strikes me as unusual.

Your insulting, belittling and sarcastic remark about my original post says a bit more about you than it does about me. Your assumptions of the situation in another country, about my personal knowledge and personal experience, in addition to the reputation status of the retailer in question, were well wide of the mark.

Why can't people just be nice? It's not that hard.

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #1,288 of 1,972
you do understand that he is referring to consumer law pertaining to warranties in his country - not yours?

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #1,289 of 1,972
Look, you live in a different country with different laws. My personal experience with the retailer in question, coupled with my knowledge of local law, makes me feel very safe about my consumer rights in this situation. The main point here is that warranties are offered voluntarily, and do not void or replace a consumer's rights under law. If you are looking for service under warranty or as provided under law, the retailer is responsible. If you're looking for service/repair outside of those situations, then the retailer is not responsible. Were that the case, I'd be asking a current retailer for advice and assistance and be willing to pay for that service. None of this strikes me as unusual.

Your insulting, belittling and sarcastic remark about my original post says a bit more about you than it does about me. Your assumptions of the situation in another country, about my personal knowledge and personal experience, in addition to the reputation status of the retailer in question, were well wide of the mark.

Why can't people just be nice? It's not that hard.
Do you work for A2A? Why would you recommend people buy grey market goods from a retailer known to not be an authorized dealer of Focal? You also said the following which is misleading: “Under Australian law, ATA will continue to offer warranty support to any product they have sold, even if they no longer sell that item. There’s no real danger of no warranty support from ATA.”

Did you know Focal charges over US$1k for a headband replacement and well over US$2k for driver replacement? Do you think A2A will foot the bill if you experience a driver failure in year 3? That’s what the meme was for.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #1,290 of 1,972
Do you work for A2A? Why would you recommend people buy grey market goods from a retailer known to not be an authorized dealer of Focal? You also said the following which is misleading: “Under Australian law, ATA will continue to offer warranty support to any product they have sold, even if they no longer sell that item. There’s no real danger of no warranty support from ATA.”
I don't work for ATA. I'm a teacher who lives 150km away from the nearest dealer. Why do you ask?

I've never recommended anyone purchase a grey market import.

ATA is an authorised dealer, indeed up until recently they were the importer/distributor.

I don't see how it's misleading. They need to honour the warranty they freely gave when they sold the product. It's irrelevant whether or not they still sell that product.

People's money is their own concern and they can do with it as they wish. I don't believe people need to take financial advice from an amateur forum about head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back