Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #961 of 1,972
Does someone here tried Nutopia with pc gaming? how was the experience?

I tried one Warzone 2 game with Nutopia just for fun. The dynamic punch that these have is great for music but not so great on FPS games that I usually play. It gets fatiguing really really fast when trying to hear footsteps behind all the explosions and gun shots.

HD800S for gaming and Utopia 2022 for music is my choice. Unless you play some kind of single player games were loud explosions are preferred for immersion.

Attachments

• 20230601_185225.jpg
    20230601_185225.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #962 of 1,972
Better?😉

NOMAX

PS.I already know what to take👍...don't worry, I've been doing this for 23 year
Lol 🤪

Was gently cruising through this thread while being close to falling asleep and i hit play on Bonny Portmore. I instantly felt crawlies under my skin and the hair stood up on my entire body. I knew this song and have listened to it on several occasions but that was ages ago. My sleep has went away, i proceeded to buy the whole album (The Visit) and i am now sitting here, in disbelief at how wonderful music can truly sound (happens every time i (re)discover songs such as this).

Thank you, Nomax.

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #964 of 1,972
Was gently cruising through this thread while being close to falling asleep and i hit play on Bonny Portmore. I instantly felt crawlies under my skin and the hair stood up on my entire body. I knew this song and have listened to it on several occasions but that was ages ago. My sleep has went away, i proceeded to buy the whole album (The Visit) and i am now sitting here, in disbelief at how wonderful music can truly sound (happens every time i (re)discover songs such as this).

Thank you, Nomax.

The spatial depth of this track in particular is heavenly with the Nutopia 👍
(The great strength of the new Frenchman is that it covers many more genres....an all-rounder )

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #965 of 1,972
The spatial depth of this track in particular is heavenly with the Nutopia 👍
(The great strength of the new Frenchman is that it covers many more genres....an all-rounder )

NOMAX

PS.lol
Agreed, with the exception that some poorly recorded classic rock albums (60's / 70's / 80/s especially) reveal themselves as such.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #966 of 1,972
Even today, it is still difficult to choose between the Nutopia and the Stealth
With one, my ears tell me it feels really good, with the other they tell me .....okay that's completely different
The big question that arises.....is there an in-between?

NOMAX

PS. I will try to answer these in the autumn 😎

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #967 of 1,972
To get to the heart of the question......the approximate tonality of a Stealth possible paired with the technical performance of the Nutopia?😎

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #968 of 1,972
What does the ear tell you first?
Something bothers me? (too much....sssssh!/woom woom)
Or is there something missing?
For me personally, the former is the prerequisite for a model in the high-price segment.
Only then did my ear ask what i miss (lcd5 🙈/solitaire P 🙈)
With the first Utopia years ago,it was the case that something bothered me from time to time, but not always

The old one covers about 60% of my genres where I don't find anything disturbing at low listening level, but the Nutopia with its performance covers 80% with much higher listening level 👍👍
The question now is: What about the remaining 20%? (Classical and jazz genres)
For those I still have the first Utopia 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #969 of 1,972
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #970 of 1,972
I am considering ordering a Utopia 2022 to compliment my Holo Audio stack. I have owned previous iterations of the Utopia and have always enjoyed them, I consider them to be a good all-round headphone. I am yet to hear the 2022 but would expect it to only improve on an already great headphone. I will be interested to compare this to the Expanse, probably only one headphone will win out for me as I prefer to own just the one but it will have to impress me a good deal to eclipse the DCA.

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #971 of 1,972
I am considering ordering a Utopia 2022 to compliment my Holo Audio stack. I have owned previous iterations of the Utopia and have always enjoyed them, I consider them to be a good all-round headphone. I am yet to hear the 2022 but would expect it to only improve on an already great headphone. I will be interested to compare this to the Expanse, probably only one headphone will win out for me as I prefer to own just the one but it will have to impress me a good deal to eclipse the DCA.

With (very) rough impression, Utopia 2022 would sound closer to your Xenon 6 (with red/black filter) rather than DCA Expanse. In other words, both Expanse and Utopia 2022 have really different character that a bit hard to compare them to find which one is more enjoyable.

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #972 of 1,972
With (very) rough impression, Utopia 2022 would sound closer to your Xenon 6 (with red/black filter) rather than DCA Expanse. In other words, both Expanse and Utopia 2022 have really different character that a bit hard to compare them to find which one is more enjoyable.

Yea, they're very different. Good to complement each other actually. I would definitely give it some time if coming from the Expanse.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #973 of 1,972
Just a short note to say the Utopia 2022s arrived yesterday, spent a good few hours with them today and am very pleased so far. All genres I have listened to so far sound great, I am not at the stage to A/B with the Expanse but in their own right I feel this is a high-tier headphone that is versatile, comfortable and beautifully designed.

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #974 of 1,972
I'm driving my lovely '22 Utopia with the RMI ADI-2. I read and viewed reviews of the Utopia driven by higher end tube amps (e.g. Feliks) and was curious whether there's some magic to the pairing while preserving the incredible details and balance I hear with the Utopia. In other words - it is my understanding that very good tube amps preserve details, sound stage and layering, while introducing "energy" and "liquidity". I was wondering if anyone here is listening to and enjoying their Utopia through a tube amp?

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #975 of 1,972
I'm driving my lovely '22 Utopia with the RMI ADI-2. I read and viewed reviews of the Utopia driven by higher end tube amps (e.g. Feliks) and was curious whether there's some magic to the pairing while preserving the incredible details and balance I hear with the Utopia. In other words - it is my understanding that very good tube amps preserve details, sound stage and layering, while introducing "energy" and "liquidity". I was wondering if anyone here is listening to and enjoying their Utopia through a tube amp?

Thanks for your feedback.
I am using a Tor balanced amp for mine (https://toraudio.com/main.html#) and it is a lovely combination. A have been impressed with that amp with other headphones as well and it certainly brings out the magic of the Utopia 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back