Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
May 17, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #931 of 1,972
@Roasty

I bought the Stellia twice.
Just to make absolutely sure that I did everything right.
I may have had a problem with the seal,
can't 100% rule that out. In any case, I have exhausted my sphere of influence.
I had read some time ago an interesting report at sbaf, where someone has found a very small area, in which the seal was lost,
and thus the bass has dropped massively.
As far as i remember more than -10dB.
But as I said, I couldn't do more.

May 18, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #932 of 1,972
Utopias new friends.
Topping G5 and a B&W Signature cable.

20230518_094132.jpg

May 18, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #933 of 1,972
There it is again, the magic of Utopia.

No headphones deliver emotions,
as much as these 🎧 do! 🙏

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #934 of 1,972
oh, its not common to see someone post the Stellias with soft bass. mine are absolutely thumping! the only time i had soft bass with the Stellia was when i demoed it way back; it was a shop unit and the pads were quite worn out. i had very poor initial impressions of it when comparing to the VC bass. but when i pressed in the ear cups to my head, the bass was great! pulled the trigger on a new set and am now enjoying it in the office.
This is just another example of how subjective this hobby truly is. I’ve watched reviewers online and posts here completely contradict each other and my opinions. What type of music you listen to, what your chain is, how loud you listen, your bias and preferences and we’ll never get everyone to agree.

Depending on who you ask, the susvara is either dull and lacks bass or is highly detailed and neutral. The 1266 is either highly resolving and has great bass or has poor midrange and distorts. These opinions are polar opposites but you’ll find them here all the time. That goes for headphones, amps, dac’s or cables. Crap we even debate fuses. Fuses…I Kidd you not.

Every so often I see a post that completely contradicts my experience and I have to hold myself back from posting a passive aggressive response on why they are wrong and then I bring myself back from the ledge and realize it’s pointless and I’ll post something like this so that the newer guys realize this is just part of the amusement of listening and debating our impressions. But for the record, your wrong and I’m right.

😉🤣

Well in the case of most Closed Back Dynamic Driver, need to count "Seal" as a factor that determine sound. I can easily make Verite Closed Back produce thin bass with my daily glasses (thick frame). Need to switch to my reading glass that has very thin temple, to make VC produce great bass experience. Same case goes to Stellia.

It's not only glasses, could be thick hair, ear shape/size, or perhaps also head shape/size that may affect seal.

May 19, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #935 of 1,972
I can say only one thing...I'm really glad that I have the Nutopia after yesterday's High End in Munich 😉

It was nice to get the whole family on one photo 👍

8D110C20-B170-41FD-80A9-FAE38EAB2A1C.jpeg

Of course, the youngsters, who you mostly know from your social media, couldn't be missing 👍

9E7C4EA0-C6FF-4DE2-88DA-248BF501C43E.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.Anyway, I lean back content with my French and just smile 😂 about what I heard again yesterday 🙈

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #937 of 1,972
no, because of the noise my GeForce makes, I prefer ANC headphones

May 21, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #938 of 1,972
5:31 am.
Perfect start to the new week 👌☕

20230522_052934.jpg

May 25, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #940 of 1,972
Have anyone else tried Dolby Atmos for headphones with the Utopia 2022? I can't tell if i'm crazy but it's a complete game changer for my enjoyment of the Utopia.

Can you explain how you are doing that? I'd love to try it. Will the Tidal app let me listen to Atmos over headphones on my macbook? I know Apple music does, but I don't subscribe to that.

May 26, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #941 of 1,972
Can you explain how you are doing that? I'd love to try it. Will the Tidal app let me listen to Atmos over headphones on my macbook? I know Apple music does, but I don't subscribe to that.
I’m doing it using the Dolby app on Windows, which you do have to pay a one time small sum for and then i just etable it on all music. The soundstage increase is dramatic on the Utopia, cant help but love it.

May 26, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #942 of 1,972
I’m doing it using the Dolby app on Windows, which you do have to pay a one time small sum for and then i just etable it on all music. The soundstage increase is dramatic on the Utopia, cant help but love it.
Does it make a big impact on conventional music files line HD FLAC that aren't Atmos encoded?

May 26, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #944 of 1,972
Big time, it works across all my music in TIDAL which isnt Atmos encoded most of the time.
Does the Dolby Atmos Windows download include a media player or is it a plug-in for other player(s). I currently use HQ Player Desktop, an amazing piece of software for upsampling and the like, in it's own right. Thank you for sharing your experience @freddydalg!

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #945 of 1,972
Does the Dolby Atmos Windows download include a media player or is it a plug-in for other player(s). I currently use HQ Player Desktop, an amazing piece of software for upsampling and the like, in it's own right. Thank you for sharing your experience @freddydalg!
It's a plug-in that you just activate in the sound settings. Not sure if it plays well with HQ Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back