Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #166 of 1,972
We basically have no idea whatsoever about how the audio world - or just the world in general - is going to look like at that time.
There were two recent events with significant economic effects that no one really expected.

Will they get more expensive to design and produce? Or will they figure it out to make the production process more efficient?
What about demand, how many pairs will they be planning to shift?
How much is needed to spend on marketing?
Is audio just going to move even more into the luxury market and pushed further by portable audio?
(in the same way as cheaper cameras are getting cleared up by smartphones)

These are just a fraction of the questions one has to forecast to determine these things.
Correct. I wonder what has caused the price increase compared to 10 years ago’s flagships. Apart from this year, even in the previous years, prices of headphones increased substantially. Was it just tech? Or dld our demands encourage the manufacturers?

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #167 of 1,972
Correct. I wonder what has caused the price increase compared to 10 years ago’s flagships. Apart from this year, even in the previous years, prices of headphones increased substantially. Was it just tech? Or dld our demands encourage the manufacturers?
That's a good way to think about it.

Companies don't just consist of audio designers, manufacturing, etc.
They have their own financial, marketing etc. teams to figure these out well before the actual release.
Above all, it needs to make a viable business case.
Unless they make something that is not solely focused on profit, more of a statement product for the brand itself, but they don't do those anymore. It is a dead formula.
(Much easier to make limited edition releases of existing things for brand enthusiasts.)

And in the end, it's up to us (and our ears) to decide what to do with all of this information. (For instance, whether to jump right in, or just buy used later on.)

I have my own personal bias towards certain things. And if they were able to make those headphones today (maybe with some further improvements), then I would certainly consider shelling out quite a bit of money for them. But people thinking the same way are miniscule, they still wouldn't benefit from it, therefore no one really cares :wink:

If we perceive (or just believe every time) newer = better
Then already right there, they can feel like they have some justification with regards to higher pricing.
(Disregarding inflation, which certainly has its own effects, etc.)

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #168 of 1,972
So what happens 10-20 years later. A flagship for $10.000? What message is this community giving to manufacturers?

Vote with your wallet, as simple as that.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #169 of 1,972
the more they gouge prices and see people still buying, the more you can expect them to do so. Look at phones. you could have a flagship for 750 euros, now it's 1500. screw the whole ''we got inflation'' that stuff got 100 bucks pricier YoY and no one batted an eye because most people buy on credit, so they end up paying it little by little. Even if it ends up being EVEN PRICIER.
When a busieness' brain is on marketing, they don't see a global recession they see a "consumer realigment", AKA "hey guy yeah pay me for marketing and ignore the tanking sales due to my bad advices thanks".

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #170 of 1,972
Be very careful of any of these initial opinions; most are trying to sell you new headphones not give an honest account.

There seems to be an ever increasing number of ‘experts’ writing (often) lengthy reviews, (usually) full of high praise and (often) very little objective criticism and (generally) laden with flowery language and cliches. Video reviews too are in abundance and measurements and graphs are on the rise. Given the significant amount of time these things must take to produce, I do often wonder at the motivations and potential remuneration possibilities involved. Maybe I’m just cynical and people devote so much time just because they truly enjoy it, but the fact that they are often getting gear directly from the manufacturers in advance of general release or public awareness makes me suspicious that such things are just part of a well organised marketing campaign. 🤔

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #172 of 1,972
I didn’t take their comments to be badmouthing it. The fact is that the primary thing stated on the marketing material is about reliability. Given the only two sound-related changes that have been made are to replace the voice coil for better reliability, and a change in the inner grille shape, I think it’s pretty easy to see this is a very minor change. I don’t think that’s a bad thing; in fact I praise them for making iterative improvements on something that was already top tear. But I am extremely doubtful of the hype and the motivations of people who are claiming this is a big improvement. Frequency response isn’t everything but it also doesn’t lie- this is a small change to lower the treble but this could simply be as a result of the voice coil change. That is to say any change in sound may very well be incidental.
I am not for a moment suggesting it is a big improvement, I have no idea but neither do any others who havent heard them

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #173 of 1,972
I am not for a moment suggesting it is a big improvement, I have no idea but neither do any others who havent heard them
I did hear it and to suggest "a big improvement" implies there is an improvement. If better gas mileage vs less horsepower is what you're looking for, than the 2022 maybe your ticket? As I stated, it's an alternative for those who prefer a warmer sound (or more reliability).

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #174 of 1,972
For sake of argument, IF a driver failure happened on the OG, how much would it set you back?

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #175 of 1,972
For sake of argument, IF a driver failure happened on the OG, how much would it set you back?

Considering the fact that they charge $1000 for a replacement cable my guess is around 2000 Euros for a double driver replacement. Give or take a few hundred euros.

Used Utopias out of warranty are not such a great deal if you consider the risk that they can turn into a pretty paperweight at any point :D

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #176 of 1,972
Considering the fact that they charge $1000 for a replacement cable my guess is around 2000 Euros for a double driver replacement. Give or take a few hundred euros.

Used Utopias out of warranty are not such a great deal if you consider the risk that they can turn into a pretty paperweight at any point :D
Wow. I thought like a third of that, ok buying a used OG with no warranty is a guaranteed russian roulette lol

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #178 of 1,972
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #180 of 1,972
I guess if the cat gets out of the bag, it might deter resel appeal
About a month ago, a few members were complaining in the Utopia thread about the cost of Utopia driver repairs and when pressed on the matter no one actually knew or was willing to share what they paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back