Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 19, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #196 of 1,971
Actually, it is even too cheap the NEW UTOPIA when I look at others in terms of comfort/build/construction&sound 😉

NOMAX

PS.Focal has actually delivered exactly what many wanted....a little less on the right side to the Harman Target and a little more airy 👍
And if someone had expected something much more different...then Focal would certainly be compensated with the prices of an AB1266 or Susvara (7000 Euros)
Who the NEW seems too expensive...there are plenty of opportunities at dealers to buy the old...but please then do not whine that
he sounds too bright/sharp/metallic or to less airy for your music 😉
The old King will continue to keep his home in many hearts 🥰....and his heir to the throne, however, will also find his way to many because it is suitable for more different music/covers even more music genres 👍

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #197 of 1,971
The old King will continue to keep his home in many hearts 🥰....and his heir to the throne, however, will also find his way to many because it is suitable for more different music/covers even more music genres 👍
Or they might buy the LCD-5 (or other TOTL) headphone in the same bracket.

I think we all agree that we haven't paid original RRP for the outgoing Utopia for some time. So early adopters may be in for some price shock. I'm happy enough with my Utopia and Lanacable LR+ that I can't justify $4000+ on a new headphone. It just doesn't add enough of an improvement.

So yes, the Old Utopia will continue to keep his/her home. Although I'll admit I reached for the LCD-5 first tonight as it has the slight edge, especially since the convolution/roon filters are now released.

I'm surprised there haven't been more reviews out of embargo

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #198 of 1,971
Actually, it is even too cheap the NEW UTOPIA when I look at others in terms of comfort/build/construction&sound 😉

NOMAX

PS.Focal has actually delivered exactly what many wanted....a little less on the right side to the Harman Target and a little more airy 👍
And if someone had expected something much more different...then Focal would certainly be compensated with the prices of an AB1266 or Susvara (7000 Euros)
Who the NEW seems too expensive...there are plenty of opportunities at dealers to buy the old...but please then do not whine that
he sounds too bright/sharp/metallic or to less airy for your music 😉

I see "Focal Marketing" is checking in...

The 2022 Utopia is suitable for music genres the original Utopia is not suitable for? Seriously?

I know there will always be hype around a new release, but can we at least be realistic.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #199 of 1,971
Actually, it is even too cheap the NEW UTOPIA when I look at others in terms of comfort/build/construction&sound
Oh, come ooooon! Really? Then what is Expanse, "nearly for free"? Better, more practical and more creative build than any Focal out there. Superb sound if you like warm/neutral tuning. Plus, you can choose your cable. Especially if you are a DCA Club member in the US, you can get it for considerably lower than the price of a "New" Utopia at $3400 (DCA Club may also work outside US, if the distributor supports it).

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #200 of 1,971
I see "Focal Marketing" is checking in...

The 2022 Utopia is suitable for music genres the original Utopia is not suitable for? Seriously?

I know there will always be hype around a new release, but can we at least be realistic.

....you should read exactly the lines/my words 😉

....for more different music and covers more genres

NOMAX

PS.Lol

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #201 of 1,971
So..what genres and music weren't covered by the OG Utopia?

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #202 of 1,971
Oh, come ooooon! Really? Then what is Expanse, "nearly for free"? Better, more practical and more creative build than any Focal out there. Superb sound if you like warm/neutral tuning. Plus, you can choose your cable. Especially if you are a DCA Club member in the US, you can get it for considerably lower than the price of a "New" Utopia at $3400 (DCA Club may also work outside US, if the distributor supports it).

No worries...my words about Expanse will come soon 😉

NOMAX

PS.also in comparison with the NEW UTOPIA 👍

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #203 of 1,971
I had the LCD 5...but this has to less

....you should read exactly the lines/my words 😉

....for more different music and covers more genres

NOMAX

PS.Lol

Exactly the kind of hyperbole I'm posting about.

What music genre's were so unlistenable that only the 2022 release makes them listenable? Please be specific.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #204 of 1,971
Without doing any serious listening, on a quick listen, it sounded pretty close to my original out of the Naim HE playing the same tracks. It’s possible the little changes might have some effect. But it sort of seemed like if you liked the original, you like the new and vice versa. I also think third party cables will fine tune these same way they did the original.

With all this being said, I make a big deal out of the smallest changes once I’m listening in my home environment, so possibly the new Focal are doing a number of smaller changes that add up. But certainly had a very similar sound overall.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #205 of 1,971
The reason for this backlash against the Utopia is simple as far as I'm concerned.

Excess hype.

Nobody has a problem with the following: Hey guys, we improved the reliability of the Utopia, improved (in their opinion) the looks a bit and based on customer feedback we toned down the treble just a bit to improve the already great tuning. Due to material costs + inflation we charge 10% more give or take.

Instead Focal outsource the marketing to Headfi who comes out with hyperbolic nonsense like: MOAR Bass! MOAR Soundtage, Even MOAR RESOLVING! Buy! Buy! Buy! :D

The marketing/manipulation model is subtle but I've been following Headfi for 10 years and it's obvious now.

They make subtle digs at the previous version claiming that it is lacking in a few key areas. Then they claim that the new version has fixed each and every one of these flaws.

Obviously when the Utopia was launched in 2016 there was never any mention of any issues.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #206 of 1,971
Exactly the kind of hyperbole I'm posting about.

What music genre's were so unlistenable that only the 2022 release makes them listenable? Please be specific.

Ask this question to all which has in the past a problem with the treble of the old Utopia 😉

NOMAX

PS.have a nice day 👍

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #207 of 1,971
Ask this question to all which has in the past a problem with the treble of the old Utopia 😉

NOMAX

PS.have a nice day 👍

So you can't name a specific genre that the 2022 Utopia is dramatically better than the original could reproduce, yet you claim there are genres that have gone from unlistenable to listenable.

Despite the fact that you claimed exactly that above.

PS: tired of the obvious marketing.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #208 of 1,971

NOMAX

PS.have a nice day 👍
So maybe this is why I didn’t hear much difference. I run mine out of Naim HE and have no issues whatsoever with treble and listened to the new ones out of same setup. Also both have great, punchy bass out of the Naim HE. The only real difference I heard was richer, more details mids on mine since using a Danacable. But this was just 10-15 listening at CanJam, so need more reviews with people with both sets at home comparing.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #209 of 1,971
So maybe this is why I didn’t hear much difference. I run mine out of Naim HE and have no issues whatsoever with treble and listened to the new ones out of same setup. Also both have great, punchy bass out of the Naim HE. The only real difference I hear was richer, more details mids mine since using a Danacable. But this was just 10-15 listening at CanJam, so need more reviews with people with both sets at home comparing.

What you report hearing lines up quite well with the very small changes in FR shown in initial measurements.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #210 of 1,971
The reason for this backlash against the Utopia is simple as far as I'm concerned.

Excess hype.

Nobody has a problem with the following: Hey guys, we improved the reliability of the Utopia, improved (in their opinion) the looks a bit and based on customer feedback we toned down the treble just a bit to improve the already great tuning. Due to material costs + inflation we charge 10% more give or take.

Instead Focal outsource the marketing to Headfi who comes out with hyperbolic nonsense like: MOAR Bass! MOAR Soundtage, Even MOAR RESOLVING! Buy! Buy! Buy! :D

The marketing/manipulation model is subtle but I've been following Headfi for 10 years and it's obvious now.

They make subtle digs at the previous version claiming that it is lacking in a few key areas. Then they claim that the new version has fixed each and every one of these flaws.

Obviously when the Utopia was launched in 2016 there was never any mention of any issues.
Amen.

An aftermarket cable goes a long way bringing the OG Utopia to a perceived tonality that is closer to the 2022 version.

My first stop at CanJam on Saturday was headphones.com showing both the Enleum AMP-23R and Utopia 2022. I spent a good deal of time comparing to my own OG Utopia with Norne Vygarde cable: sure the 2022 is slightly darker, but I didn't feel like it reached a threshold where songs could only be enjoyed on the 2022 model. They both sounded like Utopia to me and certainly not a transformative experience.
Of course, it was meet conditions (albeit pretty early - but still busy) so one can only hear so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back