Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 17, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #136 of 1,971
The Utopia orginally started at $4K, then went to $4.4K in 2020 for updated packaging, and now $5K for an updated model. That's a pretty standard increase in price for something incremental. Don't get what the problem is. Did people expect the price to stay the same or go down? That's not how things work at the top end!
I think the number of comments about price are in the context of consumers feeling the squeeze from record inflation, layoffs, and mounting recession fears. There is also a secondary sentiment that manufacturers have marched prices past the threshold that made personal audio compelling.

As for my views on pricing, I am perplexed to see several companies investing in the development and release of statement products during a time consumer spending is declining. I also feel manufacturers have released flagship products in too quick succession and some fell short of decades old standards.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #137 of 1,971
In the UK they increased the price by £1,000
In the US they increased the price by approx. £520.

That's a huge jump in price in the UK compared to the US. Does anyone know what the dealer margin are on these?

Sep 17, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #138 of 1,971
In the UK they increased the price by £1,000
In the US they increased the price by approx. £520.

That's a huge jump in price in the UK compared to the US. Does anyone know what the dealer margin are on these?
Most likely 40% or a little more.

Sep 17, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #139 of 1,971
Sep 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #141 of 1,971
Most likely 40% or a little more.
There is a different in margin between distributor and dealer. 40% perhaps for distributor (that supposed to not serve the end user).

Or

A desperate dealer/distributor that need cash immediately, you can get good discount there, and perhaps even lower than their cost sometimes.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #142 of 1,971
There is a different in margin between distributor and dealer. 40% perhaps for distributor (that supposed to not serve the end user).

Or

A desperate dealer/distributor that need cash immediately, you can get good discount there, and perhaps even lower than their cost sometimes.
That would put a retailer at around 30% and most want more than that. I used to do national sales for a chemical care care manufacturer and most companies have to have a certain margin or they go out of business. There are so many taxes, so much that adds to the overhead. Leica camera was a standard 33% for retailers (I managed a camera store) and that was from Leica US, not from a distributor. Discount 20% and you get 13% and you can't begin to live on that.

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #143 of 1,971
That would put a retailer at around 30% and most want more than that. I used to do national sales for a chemical care care manufacturer and most companies have to have a certain margin or they go out of business. There are so many taxes, so much that adds to the overhead. Leica camera was a standard 33% for retailers (I managed a camera store) and that was from Leica US, not from a distributor. Discount 20% and you get 13% and you can't begin to live on that.

Tax is always make things complicated indeed. Leica's price is like crypto, never stable, especially when stock got shorted.

I used to work in retail portable audio industry for 7 years too haha (Yeah, I know exactly the cost price for distributor and dealer for Utopia OG).

Sep 17, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #144 of 1,971
Resolves opinion on the Utopia 2022:

Source: https://forum.headphones.com/t/foca...headphones-official-discussion-thread/18756/2

My experience is that he is extremly honest. After reading Resolves opinion I think that the new Utopia isn't more than 2000 EUR/USD worth (Price for the old Utopia in new condition in Europe is under 3000 EUR). For 5000 EUR you can get the Stellia and Utopia OG in Europe in new condition.

A big thank you to @Resolve for keeping it honest amongst a sea of shills that behave like over excited teenage girls whenever a new overpriced flagship is launched.

He is the closest thing we have these days to Tyll Hertsens the grandpappy of the hobby.

This is very much an HD800S, Clear MG situation where an upgrade is unnecessary unless money is no object.

Sep 17, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #145 of 1,971
A big thank you to @Resolve for keeping it honest amongst a sea of shills that behave like over excited teenage girls whenever a new overpriced flagship is launched.

He is the closest thing we have these days to Tyll Hertsens the grandpappy of the hobby.

This is very much an HD800S, Clear MG situation where an upgrade is unnecessary unless money is no object.
It’s not fair to assume that just because an individual doesn’t agree with you and is excited about any product that they are disingenuous. Tyll was great but even he got excited about updates to headphones. No headphone is “necessary” these are all subjective luxuries. Buy it or don’t buy it.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #146 of 1,971
I wonder how dynamics/slam compare to the original especially considering that they supposedly widened soundstage and boosted the low end?
Given even Focal’s own marketing doesn’t mention low end or sound stage improvements I’d take these subjective opinions with a big fat grain of salt. Based on the objective measurements, when normalised against the OG Utopia there appears to be a small drop in treble at 5khz. That will make them sound slightly warmer but the low end definitely isn’t boosted and you therefore are unlikely to get more slam. Be very careful of any of these initial opinions; most are trying to sell you new headphones not give an honest account.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #147 of 1,971
It’s not fair to assume that just because an individual doesn’t agree with you and is excited about any product that they are disingenuous. Tyll was great but even he got excited about updates to headphones. No headphone is “necessary” these are all subjective luxuries. Buy it or don’t buy it.

There's nothing wrong with getting excited. However when a ''review'' basically sounds like an infomercial for the product and basically reads like a song of praise to the manufacturer and the product that is certainly disingenuous.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #148 of 1,971
Newer isn't always better. The updated Utopia exists for these two reasons: to address reliability issues and consumerism-- everything else is marketing. The original Utopia is an outstanding headphone and has certain tuning characteristics that will be loved by many for years to come. The YouTube videos saying it has more air, realism, and a wider soundstage are what they said about every headphone. They're just trying to sell you something new or stroke their board sponsor for sending a free unit. And the owners who post claiming it's better are the ones who fell for it.
you know this for sure?...do you own it..have you heard it?...not saying you are wrong but wondering

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #149 of 1,971
Well, I got my hands on the Stealth and the Utopia 2022.

Must say the Stealth is an overhyped piece of crap. How can a $4000 headphone not have enough room for ears as my ears touch the inside of the headphone. This only happens on $300 ANC headphones from Sony usually. This is an automatic 1/10 for me.

And the Stealth is literally just a more neutral AFC 2 Noire with a bigger soundstage with all the same problems (weak ass dynamics for example). It could have been the $999 AFC 3 basically.

The Focal Utopia 2022 was definetly the better headphone. It was especially murder in the dynamics department.

I will listen later to the OG Utopia vs Utopia 2022 later, as I was more interested in the Stealth as an office headphone (which I definetly will not buy after trying it as the cups of the headphone are too small).
strange given the stealth is known for its comfort...I owned it and thought it was the most the most comfortable HP I owned so I would say piece of crap is kinda silly

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #150 of 1,971
you know this for sure?
Yes. Focal wrote, "Some customers have unfortunately encountered issues with speaker drivers in their Utopia headphones, so they have worked hard to resolve this problem." Improved reliability is also the very first aspect highlighted in Focal's video and web content. The motivation is obvious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back