Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Nov 26, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #586 of 1,972
So, my 2022 Utopias are sounding better now that they have broken in a bit. The bass is actually much improved. There is definitely more bass on the 2022 Utopias (sometimes there is even almost too much bass...lol). The 3D soundstage is amazing. Treble is getting better. I don't regret getting these :L3000:

This album sounds good with the 2022 Utopias:

F0sJMfW.png

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #587 of 1,972
So, I've been listening to the 2022 Utopia for the past few hours. My brain has adjusted from listening to estats all week and the 1266 TCs this morning. The 2022 Utopia is actually pretty good. I still think the treble is subdued, but that could change with burn-in. My cable is also the Lazuli Ref+, which could also affect the treble. The bass is actually nice. The bass may be bit better than the OG Utopia, but I can't directly compare. The 2022 Utopia is a good all-arounder, but that's to be expected.

It doesn't do anything better than other TOTL headphones, but it does everything well. Gun to my head, I'd sell it if I had to get rid of some headphone for whatever reason, but if it was my only pair of headphones, it would be acceptable. It does my favorite genres (metal and hip-hop) very well. Plus it can be driven very easily. I'm gonna start rating my headphones. Inital impressions of the 2022 Utopia results in a B grade. My standards are very high, so a B is a good score.

The bolded part is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I've had quite a few chances to grab a pair under retail. I was fond of the original Utopia, but I didn't have it ultimately in that same Susvara/TC tier, as it didn't do anything better. That makes the extra $1k price tag (even at a discount) a bit hard to swallow for me with the general consensus that it isn't a major upgrade to the OG. And I have similar expectations to you. If I pay $4-5k for a headphone, it better compete with the best of the best unquestionably.

I have still very much been on the fence. I'll probably try to hear them first. But that was my same issue with the OG.

Nov 26, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #588 of 1,972
The bolded part is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I've had quite a few chances to grab a pair under retail. I was fond of the original Utopia, but I didn't have it ultimately in that same Susvara/TC tier, as it didn't do anything better. That makes the extra $1k price tag (even at a discount) a bit hard to swallow for me with the general consensus that it isn't a major upgrade to the OG. And I have similar expectations to you. If I pay $4-5k for a headphone, it better compete with the best of the best unquestionably.

I have still very much been on the fence. I'll probably try to hear them first. But that was my same issue with the OG.
FWIW, I listened to the Nutopia vs. the OG vs. Susvara a few weeks ago. In the limited time I spent, the Nutopia did seem to be an overall improvement to the OG, especially in soundstaging, which was one of my biggest complaints when I owned the OG. If the Susvara didn't exist, the Nutopia would probably be my daily driver, but it still doesn't best the Sus in any department to my ears. The other thing about N/Utopia is the spring-loading on the ear cups compromises their comfort for me which, along with the rigid headband, means I also find the Susvara more comfortable. For portable applications where I don't need a closed back, N/Utopia would be the cans of choice, but that situation occurs too rarely for me to lay out the cash.

Nov 26, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #589 of 1,972
Got the Lazuli Reference Plus, now on burn in duty. Excellent cable, which was to be expected given my previous experience with Danacable.

I noticed some people are comparing the bass response of the Nutopia to the OG and finding it to be quite similar.

I am hearing a substantial improvement in the low end and very happy about it.
I’m pretty sure you had an OG Utopia with the Dana reference, how does the plus compare with the Nutopia? I may try one out eventually. Thanks!

Nov 26, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #590 of 1,972
52526286893_ab108699a3_k.jpg

have settled on the Arctic Cables Aeris as my cable of choice for the U22. seems to have the best balance, sitting right in between the AC Palladium and DHC Prion4.

I think the U22 have been run in fully by now. sounding great out of my study stack. certainly overkill, running it out of a 200w into 8ohm purifi power amp. but the prima tube pre is so quiet, as is the class D power amp, and thru the zynsonix box, I get zero background noise/hiss.

the U22 is so clean, fast and dynamic. love how I don't lose any enjoyment if/when I have to listen to it at low volumes. I still get a really good amount of low end punchiness and top end sparkle despite the low listening volume.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #591 of 1,972
So, my 2022 Utopias are sounding better now that they have broken in a bit. The bass is actually much improved. There is definitely more bass on the 2022 Utopias (sometimes there is even almost too much bass...lol). The 3D soundstage is amazing. Treble is getting better. I don't regret getting these :L3000:

This album sounds good with the 2022 Utopias:

F0sJMfW.png

Really?😜

Remember my words....yes much more dynamic as the old one😉

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-2022-review-measurements.964903/page-4#post-17146856

(Somewhere I also wrote that it will take some time until the community realize how big the difference really is between OG & NUTOPIA)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #593 of 1,972
All in all...the Nutopia..it is what it is..for me the best sounding open back in 2022 👍

4D4BB3DB-FA01-4570-AFE9-3028832D66F5.jpeg

NOMAX

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #594 of 1,972
I’m pretty sure you had an OG Utopia with the Dana reference, how does the plus compare with the Nutopia? I may try one out eventually. Thanks!
You are correct. I traded in my OG Utopia and sold the Lazuli Reference prior to getting the Nutopia and Reference Plus.

Therefore, not able to draw an objective comparison between the two sets. I can only comment on my current combo and it sure sounds sublime.

Basically does away with my only criticisms of the OG Utopia.

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #595 of 1,972
I am looking for a reasonably priced 44mm cable for the Utopias- any recommendations welcome!

Cheers!

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #596 of 1,972
I am looking for a reasonably priced 44mm cable for the Utopias- any recommendations welcome!

Cheers!
DM @doctorjuggles . His cables are exceptionally well made. I use them on my iem’s. Besides sounding great, they are very supple and reasonably priced. He will discuss what sound and ergonomics you want and the turn around is quick.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #598 of 1,972
I'm still trying to decide between the Focal Utopia and the Susvaras
It also depends on your existing gear. I like the Susvara more, but Susvara also needs a lot more power than the Utopia to shine.

I can get pretty good results out of Utopia using a large variety of amps, even portable ones nowadays. Whereas with Susvara, even desktop amplifiers can struggle.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #599 of 1,972
It also depends on your existing gear. I like the Susvara more, but Susvara also needs a lot more power than the Utopia to shine.

I can get pretty good results out of Utopia using a large variety of amps, even portable ones nowadays. Whereas with Susvara, even desktop amplifiers can struggle.
What are your preferred amps incl portables for Utopia?

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #600 of 1,972

Thats really the superpower of the focals. Even off portable DAPs and amps they sound pretty darn good. Makes them fill completely different use cases to most planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back