Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Nov 17, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #572 of 1,972
I finally got my Utopia 2022 today (after waiting forever when Focal sent my dealer the old Utopias). Off the bat, the treble seems subdued compared to the OG and the bass seems about the same as when I had the OG Utopia (but I was listening to the 1266 TCs all morning though, so it could just be the contrast). I went straight to using my Lazuli Ref Plus cables. I think my Utopia and cables need to get burned in, and I typically don't believe in burn-in, aside from brain burn-in.

Nov 17, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #573 of 1,972
So, I've been listening to the 2022 Utopia for the past few hours. My brain has adjusted from listening to estats all week and the 1266 TCs this morning. The 2022 Utopia is actually pretty good. I still think the treble is subdued, but that could change with burn-in. My cable is also the Lazuli Ref+, which could also affect the treble. The bass is actually nice. The bass may be bit better than the OG Utopia, but I can't directly compare. The 2022 Utopia is a good all-arounder, but that's to be expected.

It doesn't do anything better than other TOTL headphones, but it does everything well. Gun to my head, I'd sell it if I had to get rid of some headphone for whatever reason, but if it was my only pair of headphones, it would be acceptable. It does my favorite genres (metal and hip-hop) very well. Plus it can be driven very easily. I'm gonna start rating my headphones. Inital impressions of the 2022 Utopia results in a B grade. My standards are very high, so a B is a good score.

For reference:

TCs = A+
Susvara = B+
X9000 = B+
Utopia 2022 = B
Shangri-la Sr = A
Stealth = C+
R10p = C
Th900Mk2 = C
ES-R10 = C+

So, I rate things harshly, but I mostly listen to TOTL cans, so that's my reference. I gave some of those headphones a C, and I still like them a lot. So, take that for what it's. worth. LIke the R10ps are a C in sound quality, but they still rank higher than other headphones because of the amazing bluetooth capability.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #574 of 1,972
So, I've been listening to the 2022 Utopia for the past few hours. My brain has adjusted from listening to estats all week and the 1266 TCs this morning. The 2022 Utopia is actually pretty good. I still think the treble is subdued, but that could change with burn-in. My cable is also the Lazuli Ref+, which could also affect the treble. The bass is actually nice. The bass may be bit better than the OG Utopia, but I can't directly compare. The 2022 Utopia is a good all-arounder, but that's to be expected.

It doesn't do anything better than other TOTL headphones, but it does everything well. Gun to my head, I'd sell it if I had to get rid of some headphone for whatever reason, but if it was my only pair of headphones, it would be acceptable. It does my favorite genres (metal and hip-hop) very well. Plus it can be driven very easily. I'm gonna start rating my headphones. Inital impressions of the 2022 Utopia results in a B grade. My standards are very high, so a B is a good score.

For reference:

TCs = A+
Susvara = B+
X9000 = B+
Utopia 2022 = B
Shangri-la Sr = A
Stealth = C+
R10p = C
Th900Mk2 = C
ES-R10 = C+

So, I rate things harshly, but I mostly listen to TOTL cans, so that's my reference. I gave some of those headphones a C, and I still like them a lot. So, take that for what it's. worth. LIke the R10ps are a C in sound quality, but they still rank higher than other headphones because of the amazing bluetooth capability.
only place I might disagree is susvara which I consider the equal of the TC..I think it likely depends on the music we listen to which is very different

Nov 17, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #575 of 1,972
only place I might disagree is susvara which I consider the equal of the TC..I think it likely depends on the music we listen to which is very different
Yeah, definitely. I'm 40% Metal, 40% Hip-Hop, and 20% Other. That definitely influences how I perceive headphones.

Also, I'd probably place the SR1a as an B++, but I don't have it currently. It's redundant with the Shang, but I do miss the great soundstage with the SR1a. It does soundstage better than any other headphone. It's just got the bass issue, which the Shang has as well (but the Shang has even better resolution and imaging, which is crazy).

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #576 of 1,972
I love the sr1a...definitely extraordinary

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #577 of 1,972

For reference:

TCs = A+
Susvara = B+
X9000 = B+
Utopia 2022 = B
Shangri-la Sr = A
Stealth = C+
R10p = C
Th900Mk2 = C
ES-R10 = C+

I don't think new Utopia have better bass (quality) than OG, is just more punchy. And I think it can sometimes loose control on heavy bass tracks compare to 1266.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #579 of 1,972
After over 500 hours with the Nutopia....the Transducer still plays flawlessly 👍

NOMAX

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #581 of 1,972
Got the Lazuli Reference Plus, now on burn in duty. Excellent cable, which was to be expected given my previous experience with Danacable.

I noticed some people are comparing the bass response of the Nutopia to the OG and finding it to be quite similar.

I am hearing a substantial improvement in the low end and very happy about it.

Attachments

• IMG-20221125-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20221125-WA0006.jpeg
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #582 of 1,972
What's the best portable or transpotable solution to use with Utopia 2022?

Nov 26, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #583 of 1,972
It’s not difficult to drive … the tuning of the Utopia 2022 may synergise better with the Hugo2/2Go better than the OG.

A&K SP3000 will do it too.

I use the SP2000 + C9 stack if I absolutely have to.

Nov 26, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #584 of 1,972
Utopia 2022 + Hugo2go thats what I had in mind too, but curious is it sound good?

Nov 26, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #585 of 1,972
Utopia 2022 + Hugo2go thats what I had in mind too, but curious is it sound good?
I use the Mojo2+Poly and it’s a nice pairing IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back