Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Nov 10, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #541 of 1,972
New utopia is warmer, fuller, richer. Reminds me of Bose or Beats or even AirPods Pro. But as a result might be a tad dark and too much for tubes.

It’s the tuning synergy (or lack thereof) I suspect
Yeah, with a tube-like amp such as the Naim Uniti Atom HE I find the Utopia 2022 a tad too dark, or rather, it feels like timbre reproduction is in fact pretty much perfect, except it seems like any actual sparkle (the good kind) is oddly amputated from the sound picture. The OG otoh matches perfectly, though, at least to my ears. On more neutral and bright leaning DAC/amp combo’s the 2022 may well be a better match than the OG.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #542 of 1,972
Yeah, with a tube-like amp such as the Naim Uniti Atom HE I find the Utopia 2022 a tad too dark, or rather, it feels like timbre reproduction is in fact pretty much perfect, except it seems like any actual sparkle (the good kind) is oddly amputated from the sound picture. The OG otoh matches perfectly, though, at least to my ears. On more neutral and bright leaning DAC/amp combo’s the 2022 may well be a better match than the OG.
I primarily use the Nutopia off the stratus and I don’t have any issues with it being too thick. I don’t have a problem hearing the upper FR either. It has just enough in that area without coming off as harsh. Same experience off the mojo2, though it’s leaner.
And with the Bryston BHA1 it’s good too. Though you lose some of that tube magic, but it’s still enjoyable.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #543 of 1,972
Been thinking about the Nutopia since my main source is the Hugo 2. The neutral-neutral pairing with my OG Utopia hasn't always been the best. I don't mind it, as I put SQ/detail above all else. But I do have a darker headphone that pairs sweetly with the H2, so it has me thinking that the Nutopia + H2 would be a great match. Anyone with experience with these two?

The unfortunate thing is that I personally don't favor the new look. I haven't actually seen it in person but pretty sure it'll be a downgrade in looks to me.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #544 of 1,972
Been thinking about the Nutopia since my main source is the Hugo 2. The neutral-neutral pairing with my OG Utopia hasn't always been the best. I don't mind it, as I put SQ/detail above all else. But I do have a darker headphone that pairs sweetly with the H2, so it has me thinking that the Nutopia + H2 would be a great match. Anyone with experience with these two?

The unfortunate thing is that I personally don't favor the new look. I haven't actually seen it in person but pretty sure it'll be a downgrade in looks to me.

I'm driving it directly out the RCA outputs of a Qutest, and it's very enjoyable.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #546 of 1,972
the new look is fine in person. It’s stealth but apart from the chrome accents on the OG, there’s not a lot in it.

I auditioned the utopia out of the SP3000. Owning a Hugo2 I suspect the synergy will work just fine. It’s on my to do for a more extensive listen.

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #547 of 1,972
I actually do have headband creaking with the 2022 Utopia. It can't be just me? I never had the older Utopia so I don't know if it's better or worse than that.
I guess I lucked out. No creaking on my 2022 nor the previous model I had in my hands right before getting the 2022. My OG Utopias had a lot of creaking and I had to use silicon lubricant to get it under control.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #548 of 1,972
New utopia is warmer, fuller, richer. Reminds me of Bose or Beats or even AirPods Pro. But as a result might be a tad dark and too much for tubes.

gee, airpods pro lol...not exactly the kind of comparison people looking to plunk down 5k want to hear

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #549 of 1,972
gee, airpods pro lol...not exactly the kind of comparison people looking to plunk down 5k want to hear

lol yes. I was thinking of an analogy people could relate to. It’s an (intentional) over call although the difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 AirPods Pro are not that dissimilar.

Nov 11, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #550 of 1,972
lol yes. I was thinking of an analogy people could relate to. It’s an (intentional) over call although the difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 AirPods Pro are not that dissimilar.
I see no problem in overcalling it. :relaxed: I feel some people are *under*calling the difference in sound between the two. Perhaps on certain equipment the difference is marginal, but on my Naim and on a DCS Lina stack I heard the OG and the 2022 versions on, I found the difference/overall impression not marginal at all!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #551 of 1,972

Yes, I think the nutopia needs a neutral amp to pair with regardless of SS or Tubes.

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #552 of 1,972
Has anyone tried using the new Utopia with SoundID "Studio Reference "flat" profile, and hearing crackling sound at the end of a heavy bass note? I'm trying to EQ the bass to bit a bit more punchy, and listening to Even Heaven by Aimer, right at the start bass note, the crackling sound will appear as each bass note end. A bit puzzling why it is the case (or if something is wrong with my set) - currently using it with Cayin N8ii with P+ / Tube / AB

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #553 of 1,972
Has anyone tried using the new Utopia with SoundID "Studio Reference "flat" profile, and hearing crackling sound at the end of a heavy bass note? I'm trying to EQ the bass to bit a bit more punchy, and listening to Even Heaven by Aimer, right at the start bass note, the crackling sound will appear as each bass note end. A bit puzzling why it is the case (or if something is wrong with my set) - currently using it with Cayin N8ii with P+ / Tube / AB
I don’t really EQ but have messed around with it in Roon just to see. Have you lowered the gain? How many db are you boosting the bass? Whatever it is, lower the overall db level to match.

For example, If you boost the bass to 3db, then lower gain to 3db. Should fix it.

But don’t EQ, it’s great as is😄

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #554 of 1,972
For my 2nd OG Utopia, this is exactly what I heard the crackling sound from from heavy bass or explosion sound then the driver dead the next day.....

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #555 of 1,972
It’s possibly clipping. Will be interesting to see if more early owners report the issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back