Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 3, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,871 of 4,499
Yes, the Stellia do look and feel like luxury, they are superbly built and finished. Even my wife commented on their luxury and thought they were much more expensive than they are! That they sound superb too, is the cherry on the icing on the cake!

Agree with @AudioDuck. Mine are driven by the Chord TT DAC/Amp and the pairing is extremely detailed, clear and clean to the point where I am considering a warmer amp to dial this down a little.

Although the Stellia scale beautifully with high end amps, they also bring out the best of more reasonably priced amps and DAPs.

Hope you manage to grab a pair one day...
im sure they sound good on the chord. I have the mojo and its fantastic. Chords high end stuff is out of this world.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,872 of 4,499
I've owned the Mojo, Hugo 2, TT2 and I agree with how you are hearing them. Going from the Mojo to the Hugo 2 was a big jump in sound quality and performance. Going from the Hugo 2 to the TT2, lets just say my Hugo 2 rarely got any play time as the improvements were substantial. I now have the mDave and Mojo 2. All I can say is I don't miss the Hugo 2 at all and the Dave is the best DAC I've ever heard.
Despite the sizeable price gaps when climbing the Chord ladder, each successive product does introduce a host of improvements over its closest kin (e.g. Hugo 2 to the Hugo TT 2). The DAVE is a magnificent source, all on its own. Sadly, or thankfully, as the case may be, they are priced beyond what I'd be willing to pay.

im sure they sound good on the chord. I have the mojo and its fantastic. Chords high end stuff is out of this world.
I'm in definite agreement here. I've been a (huge) fan of Chord's DACs since I was first introduced to the portable wonder that was the original Hugo. It wasn't the easiest DAC to operate, but boy, they sounded absolutely brilliant!

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #3,873 of 4,499
Despite the sizeable price gaps when climbing the Chord ladder, each successive product does introduce a host of improvements over its closest kin (e.g. Hugo 2 to the Hugo TT 2). The DAVE is a magnificent source, all on its own. Sadly, or thankfully, as the case may be, they are priced beyond what I'd be willing to pay.

I'm in definite agreement here. I've been a (huge) fan of Chord's DACs since I was first introduced to the portable wonder that was the original Hugo. It wasn't the easiest DAC to operate, but boy, they sounded absolutely brilliant!
I haven’t heard the Stellia yet but I climbed the Chord ladder (original Hugo, Hugo 2, Dave and added Mscaler) with the Focal Utopia and found the best match has actually been the Naim Uniti Atom HE even over the Chord Dave with Mscaler. The Naim was built using the Focal lineup in its testing. The Dave/mscaler is also excellent but the Naim has a better groove to it and I find it more enjoyable. I’d imagine the Stellia would also benefit from the Naim.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #3,874 of 4,499
I haven’t heard the Stellia yet but I climbed the Chord ladder (original Hugo, Hugo 2, Dave and added Mscaler) with the Focal Utopia and found the best match has actually been the Naim Uniti Atom HE even over the Chord Dave with Mscaler. The Naim was built using the Focal lineup in its testing. The Dave/mscaler is also excellent but the Naim has a better groove to it and I find it more enjoyable. I’d imagine the Stellia would also benefit from the Naim.
I’m a Naim guy for my speaker-based system (two-channel), so I’m very glad to hear this. Down the road the Uniti Atom HE might be my all-in-one solid-state unit, with a line out to a tube headphone amp for ZMFs. 😊

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,875 of 4,499
My (2nd hand) Stellia, sounds amazing. The only issue is cosmetic. 20220302_184214.jpg It is the coloration of the leather head band. It turns darker due to accumulated hair oil.
Is there a solution to color the entire head band uniformly (even eith this dark color), without damaging the leather?

Thanks.
Just continue to rub it with whatever oil you have used. Eventually it will all be dark brown. I did it from very early days using only "natural skin" oil and now the headband is nice brown like the pads....

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #3,876 of 4,499
Any feedback on how the Stellia pairs with the Mojo 2, I'm a new Stellia owner and looking for a source/amp to use with my iPhone that is transportable. The Mojo 2 has very limited availability in the states. Thanks.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #3,877 of 4,499
Any feedback on how the Stellia pairs with the Mojo 2, I'm a new Stellia owner and looking for a source/amp to use with my iPhone that is transportable. The Mojo 2 has very limited availability in the states. Thanks.
Amazingly well. Do a quick search and you’ll see quite a bit of discussion above. If you cannot find one to buy, I have found the ifi IDSD Signature to pair amazingly well (though admittedly not as nice as the Mojo2).

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #3,878 of 4,499
I brought my Stellia’s to CanJam NYC last weekend and spent some quality time listening to the Mojo2. I want more time with the combo for sure. Of course I need more time and a way to compare with what I have for amp/DAC combos,however, it was fairly obvious that the Mojo2 is a more detailed/clinical sound vs warm. I mean that in a very good way. I was blown away with what that little device can do. I only briefly messed around with the eq. All of my listening was in the default settings.

I plan to purchase one.

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #3,879 of 4,499
Also a new Stellia user/owner. I cannot comment on the Mojo2 other than most reviews I've read/seen have been very positive. Unfortunately, a lot of new items can be challenging to find available in USA. It's not as powerful as the Mojo2, but I've been enjoying with my Stellia's is the FiiO BTR5, which can be found on Amazon. Another portable DAC/Amp combo that most reviews have been positive about. I like it a little more when using a balanced 2.5mm cable (Meze Classic 99 silver-plated upgrade cable); I could not justify to myself spreading about $400 for their pure silver

I'm seriously considering getting the FiiO K9 Pro (ESS version), but no one has it in the USA. FiiO on Facebook they're expected to have units available in the USA at the end of March. The only places I can find it are in China, which is two to three shipping and I have no idea if they're authorized dealers. With all the stuff going on such as COVID, the supply chain is making electronic toys more expensive and harder to find.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #3,880 of 4,499
Very well indeed, I've just bought a Mojo 2 having enjoyed the original Mojo. I'm using the very good Moon Audio Black Dragon leads and these really suit both the Stellia and the Mojo 2 in fact for rock music the combination is incredible. Plenty of oomph, great soundstage and for the money it's a portable powerhouse.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #3,881 of 4,499
If anyone is interested it appears that Dekoni will be continuing
to make the custom Stellia pads. I stopped at the Dekoni booth at Canjam last weekend and picked up a pair. They said that the custom Stellia pad sells very well especially in Europe. The box I got is a different color but they sound great.

Attachments

• 85FC6765-BE4C-42AA-9EEA-B685FA0D1E44.jpeg
    85FC6765-BE4C-42AA-9EEA-B685FA0D1E44.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #3,882 of 4,499
.... They said that the custom Stellia pad sells very well ....
This makes sense because the pads can used on several different Focal OTE models. I think the Utopidia is the only model that does not. Considering replacement stock pads are several hundred dollars vs Dekoni's $60-100US, it is a deal to have. From what I've read/seen, people have been positive about their pads.

I know I'm considering getting a set.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #3,883 of 4,499
This makes sense because the pads can used on several different Focal OTE models. I think the Utopidia is the only model that does not. Considering replacement stock pads are several hundred dollars vs Dekoni's $60-100US, it is a deal to have. From what I've read/seen, people have been positive about their pads.

I know I'm considering getting a set.
Same here. If they were available again in the USA, I’d likely get a pair. The only thing stopping me from buying in the UK was VAT and shipping costs added on, making it over $ 125 USD.

Mar 7, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #3,884 of 4,499
I was wondering how other are taking care of or maintaining their Stellia headsets. More specifically on the leather to make sure it does not dry out or discolor. RIght now, I'm wiping mine with a microfiber clothe when I'm done listening to them. I should be doing some kind of cleaner and conditioning. I was thinking of using the cleaner/conditioner I use my car's leather interior.

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #3,885 of 4,499
I was wondering how other are taking care of or maintaining their Stellia headsets. More specifically on the leather to make sure it does not dry out or discolor. RIght now, I'm wiping mine with a microfiber clothe when I'm done listening to them. I should be doing some kind of cleaner and conditioning. I was thinking of using the cleaner/conditioner I use my car's leather interior.
Please see my post 1 page back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back