Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 12, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #2,762 of 4,482
Oh! My bad, sorry!

Yeah I posted that. I was just sharing a listing here on head-fi for a pair of used Utopia’s with original receipt. A few people were wanting to buy the Utopia and I suggested open box or used with receipt so get warranty.

Now I did happen to guess Radiance would be name of new Focal. Someone posted a hint with first and last letters and I made 3 guesses.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2,763 of 4,482
Is the picture posted earlier a leak from Focal themselves, or some kind of ‘leaked’ photo?

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,764 of 4,482
Is the picture posted earlier a leak from Focal themselves, or some kind of ‘leaked’ photo?
Don’t know. Found it on another audiophile community website. But who knows nowadays if it is a „real“ leak or an intended from the company. Maybe they want to start the hype machine by leaking information, you know how those companies work :wink:

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #2,765 of 4,482
question to those who own utopia and stellia,

do u guys feel stellia being more comfortable than utopia?
and is imaging/structural definition on par w utopia?

i still like utopia but comfort is an issue, many thanks!

I have both and prefer Stellia for comfort. There isn't much in it tbh. I think the Utopia feels heavier and less 'fitted' to my head ... but that is me and everyone has a differently shaped head !

In terms of sound the 'signature' is almost the same but the Stellia has more weight around base / lower midrange stuff - not anything too much, certainly not like a Sony Z1R but noticeable more weight than the Utopia. I prefer the Stellia but if I want a 'concert'/live feeling with wider soundstage and more realism then the Utopia is the better one to use.

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2,766 of 4,482
I would have said I prefer Stellia over Utopia, until I heard Utopia with the Black Dragon cable.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,767 of 4,482
question to those who own utopia and stellia,

do u guys feel stellia being more comfortable than utopia?
and is imaging/structural definition on par w utopia?

i still like utopia but comfort is an issue, many thanks!

i own both and find the utopia more comfortable - but I seem to the only one here. The pads of the Utopia are slightly softer and the shape of the headband fits perfect for my head, whereas I adjust the headset a bit more with the stellia. But it’s really a very minor dinference in comfort,
it’s a different story with glasses, since the seal of the stellia is broken by them, but the utopia works well with my glasses.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,768 of 4,482
After reading through this entire thread, watching youtube reviews by many qualified reviewers and reading many other random reviews I picked up a nice used pair for an amazing price. I have owned LCD-XC (awesome), HD800 which am gonna get again (or HD800S), ZMF Eikon, Ether CX, Focal Clear, Focal Elex, EMU Teak (still have them) and quite a few others. Of note, I have also got a few hours listening on the Utopia and LCD-X.

Since I picked these up on Tuesday, I have got at least 35-40 hours listening on them. I have never listened to a pair that much in the first few days, I cannot seem to put them down. I have mostly been listening from iphone 11 to Fiio Q5s with the AM3D THX amp. But also quite a bit of time on the Monoprice THX 788. Sounds great out of both, but sound is a little 'tighter' (controlled) out of the Monoprice. They seem to sound great to amazing with every genre I have tried. Right now I am listening to Master of Puppets and the speed and accuracy of these are spot on for me.

I gotta say these are the best headphones I have heard to date, followed by the Eikon and then the HD800. I would need to buy the Utopia and get some more time with them to see where they rank, but I really like them, but at this point I am pretty sure I like the Stellia better (bigger stage and better BASS). My head is a little on the big side, I shave my head and I do not wear corrective glasses. So the seal on my head must be perfect. The BASS on the Stellia is spectacular, the mids are perfect and the highs are very detailed without any fatigue for me.

I am not a person who reveres brands when it comes to anything, I have owned 27 different cars from 15 different makes and I just buy what I like. The great thing about headphones is that you can buy the best in the world for a somewhat accessible amount of money. That is a lot harder to do with home systems (or cars). The only other headphones that I think I will like that I have not tried (or listened to enough) are ZMF Verite (open or closed, which I am sure I will love), Audeze LCD-4, Meze Empyrean, HD800S and maybe one of the Abyss. If you look closely at this list you will notice they are nearly all open back. So in my opinion these are at worst, one of the two best closed back headphones in the world. Going forward, until I can try these others, these are the best headphones available at any price. For me. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,770 of 4,482
Has anybody tried to 'repaint' Stellia? If so, I would love to know what medium/materials have been used. The only reason I can't take Stellia outdoors is the cognac/mocha shade it comes in that I feel attracts too much attention. Black headband cushions in wool or leather can only cover the headband part and I would like to hide the color of even the ear cups. In fact, ignoring the risk of drop in resale value, I am considering giving a fresh coat of permanent and dark black paint to both cups and headband. But it's leather, not just metal. So, am not sure what kind of paint/materials could be used. Would appreciate tips.

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #2,772 of 4,482
Any suggestions for a high quality leather cover for the Stellia? I tried the ZMF pilot one but the Stellia headband is too thick. But I really will not cover it in wool :)

I tried a 3rd party replacement headband cover meant for DT-770/880/1770 and, yes, Stellia headband is too thick for this one too. Woolens on eBay would work but it would look too 'motherly'. I sincerely hope there is a way to make the cognac/mocha color turn to black without damaging the leather and metal themselves. Focal Radiance boasts of the perfect look for me but I would rather only change the paint-job of Stellia's for my use. I shall do my best to find a way to make Stellia look like Radiance.

BL2172_FOCALRADIANCEHEADPHONES_2048x2048.jpg

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,773 of 4,482
I tried a 3rd party replacement headband cover meant for DT-770/880/1770 and, yes, Stellia headband is too thick for this one too. Woolens on eBay would work but it would look too 'motherly'. I sincerely hope there is a way to make the cognac/mocha color turn to black without damaging the leather and metal themselves. Focal Radiance boasts of the perfect look for me but I would rather only change the paint-job of Stellia's for my use. I shall do my best to find a way to make Stellia look like Radiance.

Well, without the Bentley stuff, I hope.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2,775 of 4,482
Added some custom LQI cables with 4.4 balanced termination for listening on my Fiio Q5s with AM3D THX amp. I had another LQI set up for my ZMF Eikon and liked them so much that I did not hesitate to order from them again. In this case balanced definitely adds to the left/right separation and a larger overall soundstage.

For anyone interested in some hand made custom cables, these are great. Why, you ask?
1. Not too pricey.
2. Super fast build and shipping times. 7 days total in my case(!).
3. Amazing build quality and components. These cables exude quality and match very well with the luxurious build quality of TOTL headphones like the Stellia.
4. The cables have almost zero memory, so they remain super flexible over time and are very durable.
42334436-5760-4691-99CB-7C853AF670B8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back